Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
| A Life of Trial and Redemption
about V.P. Joe Biden (2010)
| No Apology
by Gov. Mitt Romney (2010)
| The Path to Prosperity
by Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
| Promises to Keep
by Vice Pres. Joe Biden (2007)
| The Audacity of Hope
by Pres. Barack Obama (2006)
| Dreams from My Father
by Pres. Barack Obama (1996)
| Young Guns
by Rep. Paul Ryan et al (2010)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Second Obama-Romney 2012 Presidential debate (at Hofstra University)
Second Presidential debate, Oct. 16, 2012:
- Held at Hofstra University on Long Island, New York.
- Moderated by Candy Crowley of CNN.
- Sponsored by the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates.
- 90 minutes on domestic issues in Town Hall format.
- "Democracy Now!" aired a live commentary called Expanding the Debate, including three 3rd-party candidates, the Constitution Party's Virgil Goode, the Green Party's Jill Stein and the Justice Party's Rocky Anderson.
- Commentary: Obama recuperated in this second debate after Romney "won" the first debate.
- On the issues, Obama responded to all of Romney's key points, but Romney managed to connect to the audience, addressing his most significant weakness.
- The pundits and talkshows all focused on just two non-issues (as usual). Both of these "issues," we predict, will be ignored in a week, and forgotten in a month:
- Romney said he had "binders full of women" when he attempted to gender-balance his gubernatorial cabinet.
He meant "binders full of women's résumés," which was obvious in the full context, but the mainstream media played and replayed the excerpt out of context.
- Romney noted that his cabinet and his adminstration were nationally recognized as leaders in gender-balance, but that was forgotten in the wake of the replayed out-of-context phrase.
Romney also neglected to mention that his running-mate, Kerry Healey, was also female (she served as Lieutenant Governor and then ran for Governor in 2004 and lost to Deval Patrick; Romney legitimately did push gender balance, and deserves recognition for it, binders full of women or not.
- Romney's second gaffe was pushing Obama on whether he referred to the attack on 9/11/2012 which killed the American ambassador to Libya as an "act of terror."
Obama asserted that he did refer to it as an "act of terror" in a Rose Garden speech on 9/12/2012, and Romney pushed hard to get Obama to say that "on the record," i.e., Romney thought Obama had the facts wrong. The moderator pointed out that Romney had the facts wrong.
- Romney was correct in pointing out that Obama downplayed the terrorism aspects while focusing on the surrounding riots protesting a video demeaning the prophet Mohammed.
But Romney's point was lost because of the hyperfocus on what exactly Obama said on 9/12/2012.
- Romney was prepared poorly for that point -- his staff should have researched the original statement and Romney should not have pushed the point so hard without the proper research in advance.
But Romney's lack of preparation is not what the talkshows talk about -- they get caught up in the buzz about fact-checking Candy Crowley -- so enjoy the buzz but recognize its meaninglessness.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Barack Obama: ObamaCare asks insurance companies to provide contraceptives.
Jill Stein: Birth control should not be up to your employer.
Mitt Romney: Every woman in America should have access to contraceptives.
Rocky Anderson: Contraceptive services comprehensively provided, and free.
Budget & Economy|
Barack Obama: Romney's plan will blow up the deficit or raise your taxes.
Mitt Romney: My five-point plan will get this economy going again.
Jill Stein: Pay equity for women remains critical, despite some programs.
Mitt Romney: Recruited women for gubernatorial staff.
Rocky Anderson: Lilly Ledbetter was a great beginning; now enforce it.
Virgil Goode: Equal pay for equal work, regardless of sex.
Barack Obama: Letting Detroit go bankrupt the Romney way wouldn't work.
Jill Stein: Enormous bipartisan collaboration on deregulation.
Mitt Romney: OpEd: Romney at Bain Capital sent jobs to China.
Mitt Romney: Bankruptcy would have allowed Detroit to come out stronger.
Rocky Anderson: Break up too-big-to-fail banks & prosecute Wall Street fraud.
Jill Stein: Bail out the students instead of bailing out the banks.
Mitt Romney: Free college for the top quarter of high school graduates.
Energy & Oil|
Barack Obama: Invest in clean energy because China & Germany will.
Barack Obama: Lowest oil imports and highest oil production in 16 years.
Barack Obama: Gas was cheap in early 2009 because the economy collapsed.
Barack Obama: Oil companies had leases on public lands they weren't using.
Jill Stein: Weatherizing homes creates jobs & addresses climate change.
Mitt Romney: Obama cut in half the number of drilling permits/licenses.
Mitt Romney: Energy prices have gone up since Obama took office.
Virgil Goode: Drill for oil & gas so US becomes an exporter.
Families & Children|
Mitt Romney: Two-parent families reduce violence on the streets.
Barack Obama: We pushed China hard to raise currency exchange by 11%.
Jill Stein: Get tough policy has opposite effect of what was intended.
Virgil Goode: No embassies in Libya; no dictating by the UN.
Jill Stein: International trade boards compromise American sovereignty.
Mitt Romney: Make sure people we trade with play by the rules.
Virgil Goode: Renegotiate trade agreements focusing on US jobs.
Virgil Goode: Super PACs benefit from jobs being sent overseas.
Virgil Goode: Stop the super PACs from controlling our federal election.
Barack Obama: I believe in 2nd Amendment, but not war weapons on streets.
Jill Stein: More local regulations; more background checks.
Jill Stein: Reduce culture of violence via mental health & legal drugs.
Jill Stein: Address community violence with more mental health services.
Mitt Romney: No new gun legislation; enforce the existing laws.
Mitt Romney: Fully investigate "Fast and Furious" program.
Rocky Anderson: Only reason for assault weapons is to kill people quickly.
Virgil Goode: Veto any ban on assault weapons.
Jill Stein: 75% of expenditures are sick care system, not healthcare.
Mitt Romney: I care about 100% of people; & insured 98% of adults in MA.
Gary Johnson: Why were we in Benghazi or Libya at all?
Rocky Anderson: Bipartisan corporatism and militarism expands war budgets.
Barack Obama: Kids who think of themselves as Americans--they should stay.
Jill Stein: Undocumented immigration massively spiked after NAFTA.
Jill Stein: Extend DREAM Act beyond age 30.
Mitt Romney: Obama said he'd reform our immigration system but he didn't.
Mitt Romney: Support the E-Verify portion of the Arizona immigration law.
Rocky Anderson: Government and corporations have colluded on immigrant jobs.
Virgil Goode: Moratorium on green cards until unemployment is under 5%.
Virgil Goode: Illegals' presence here steals jobs from American citizens.
Virgil Goode: Use entire AZ law as model for US, not just E-Verify.
Virgil Goode: No green cards for foreigners diplomas; US citizens first.
Barack Obama: We were losing 800,000 jobs each month when I started.
Barack Obama: Change offshore tax rules to bring back outsourced jobs.
Barack Obama: Create 600,000 jobs in the natural gas industry.
Barack Obama: Wind energy jobs are not imaginary jobs.
Jill Stein: Directly create jobs, not via tax breaks.
Mitt Romney: Obama said by now we'd have unemployment 5.4%, not me.
Rocky Anderson: Trade agreements responsible for sending jobs overseas.
Rocky Anderson: Raise minimum wage to $10.55 an hour, to stimulate economy.
Rocky Anderson: Strong labor movement crucial to thriving middle class.
Principles & Values|
Jill Stein: Petition to open up debates to more than two candidates.
Barack Obama: Romney thinks 47% consider themselves victims, I disagree.
Mitt Romney: All my foreign investments are managed by a blind trust.
Virgil Goode: Not much difference between Obama, Romney and Bush.
Barack Obama: I've cut taxes for middle-class families & small businesses.
Barack Obama: Bring back the Clinton tax rate for income above $250,000.
Barack Obama: It's unfair for a nurse to pay a higher tax rate than Romney.
Mitt Romney: We need to cut taxes and reduce regulations for businesses.
Mitt Romney: Limit the number of tax deductions for everyone with a cap.
Barack Obama: We need to train for the next generation of Apples.
Mitt Romney: China counterfeits our electronics & steals our technology.
War & Peace|
Rocky Anderson: We went into Libya without authorization from Congress.
Welfare & Poverty|
Rocky Anderson: There is so much more work to be done onpoverty.
The above quotations are from Second Obama-Romney 2012 Presidential debate (at Hofstra University).
2012 Presidential General Election:
- Third and final Obama-Romney debate, Oct. 22, 2012
- Second Obama-Romney debate, Oct. 16, 2012
- Biden-Ryan V.P. debate, Oct. 11, 2012
- First Obama-Romney debate, Oct. 3, 2012
- Obama-Romney Univision Interviews, Sept. 19, 2012
- Obama-Romney Science Debate, Sept. 4, 2012
- 2012 Presidential General Election Archives
- 2011 Presidential Primary Archives
- GOP Primary Debates, 2011-2012
- Presidential website excerpts