State of Pennsylvania Archives: on Abortion
Legal protection to unborn children
Q: Do you support or oppose. `Abortion is a woman's unrestricted right`?
A: Strongly Oppose:
Source: E-mail interview on 2016 PA Senate race with OnTheIssues
Nov 2, 2015
- Pro-life; encourage adoption over abortion.
- Prohibit federal funding for abortion.
- Defund Planned Parenthood.
- Legal protection to unborn children.
Pro-life, period, but not for rape
In response to a question on Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock's statement that a pregnancy resulting from rape is "something
God intended," Casey called it "outrageous." Smith said he also doesn't agree with the statement but added that he is "pro-life period."
Source: Cumberlink Sentinel on 2012 PA Senate debate
Oct 26, 2012
No abortion under all circumstances, including rape & incest
Tom Smith inadvertently waded into the war of words over rape and abortion. Asked about his stance on abortion, Smith said he opposed it in all circumstances, including rape and incest.
He then seemed to equate the trauma of a pregnancy brought about
by rape with a woman's deciding to have a child outside marriage. Smith backtracked under later questioning, saying that the situations were not exactly the same but that "a life is a life, and it needs to be protected."
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer on 2012 PA Senate debate
Aug 29, 2012
The moderator held a lightning round, where the candidates could only answer "yes," "no," or "abstain."
All of the candidates said that they are pro-life, pro-second amendment, and would get rid of the Department of Education.
Source: PoliticsPA.com coverage of 2012 PA Senate debate
Jan 21, 2012
Allow abortions, with limits; no partial-birth
Supports the following principles concerning abortion:
Source: 1998 PA National Political Awareness Test
Jul 2, 1998
- Abortions should be legal only within the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Abortions should be legal only when pregnancy resulted from incest, rape, or when the life of the woman is
- Abortions should be limited by waiting periods and parental notification requirements.
- Prohibit the late-term abortion procedure known as “partial-birth” abortion.
- Support “buffer zones” at abortion clinics.
Page last updated: Sep 08, 2016