For the Record
From Wall Street to Washington
by Treasury Secretary Donald T. Regan
(Click for Amazon book review)
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Donald Regan: Amortize government purchases like homebuyers do.
Donald Regan: Economy needs steady, predictable monetary policy.
Donald Regan: Deficits don't matter, s long as economy is growing.
John Boehner: Home loans were source of bank crisis.
Milton Friedman: Erratic monetary policy is greatest threat to economy.
Phil Gramm: Gramm-Rudman: mandate balanced budget & deficit reduction.
Ronald Reagan: Signed Gramm-Rudman to mandate balanced budget.
Ronald Reagan: 1985: $68B in spending cuts; but SDI funding doubled.
Ronald Reagan: Democracy & market economy result in a better life.
Ronald Reagan: Reagan-Gorbachev meetings based on personal contact.
Donald Regan: Iran-Contra scandal: consequences for Israel too.
Donald Regan: USSR motivated to reduce strategic nukes by staggering cost.
Ronald Reagan: OpEd: Reagan no part of diverting Iran-Contra funds.
Ronald Reagan: OpEd: Sought nuclear treaty as legacy toward world peace.
Ronald Reagan: Policy of openness to deal with Iran-Contra scandal.
Principles & Values|
Donald Regan: Resigned as a result of the Iran-Contra scandal.
Ronald Reagan: OpEd: hands-off management has inevitable disasters.
Ronald Reagan: Scale of re-election victory meant mandate on policies.
Ronald Reagan: Trusted his aides to act on his intentions, not his orders.
Donald Regan: 10% tax reduction each year for three years.
Donald Regan: Lower taxes for all, by eliminating special privileges.
Ronald Reagan: Tax reform's goal: replace incomprehensible system.
Ronald Reagan: 1986 Tax Reform: reduce top rate from 50% to 28%.
War & Peace|
Donald Regan: OpEd: Goal of strategic nuke talks was to keep talking.
Ronald Reagan: OpEd: Iran-Contra contradicted "Never deal with terrorists".
The above quotations are from For the Record
From Wall Street to Washington
by Treasury Secretary Donald T. Regan.
Books by and about Cabinet Members:
- Between Worlds, by Gov. Bill Richardson, Secretary of Commerce-designee
- Critical: What We Can Do About the Health Care Crisis, by Sen. Tom Daschle, Secretary of Health & Human Services-designee
- Dreams from My Father:, by Sen. Barack Obama, President-elect
- It Takes A Village, by Sen. Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State-designee
- Leading by Example, by Gov. Bill Richardson, Secretary of Commerce-designee
- Like No Other Time: The Two Years That Changed America, by Sen. Tom Daschle, Secretary of Health & Human Services-designee
- Living History, by Sen. Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State-designee
- Profiles In Courage For Our Time, by Caroline Kennedy, including chapter on Rep. Hilda Solis, Secretary of Labor-designee
- Promises to Keep, by Sen. Joe Biden, Vice President-elect
- The Audacity of Hope, by Sen. Barack Obama, President-elect
- No Higher Honor, by Condoleezza Rice (2011)
- My Extraordinary, Ordinary Family and Me, by Condoleezza Rice (2012)
- The Plan: Big Ideas for Change in America, by Rahm Emanuel
- The Thumpin': How Rahm Emanuel and the Democrats Learned to Be Ruthless, by Naftali Bendavid; profiling Rep. Emanuel, White House Chief of Staff
- For the Record, by Treasury Secretary Donald T. Regan