This page contains Congressional resolutions.
Resolutions indicate the topics that legislators care about, but cannot legislate about.
on May 25, 2000
Resolution: the Midwestern Governors' Conference resolution:
Source: Resolution of Midwestern Governors' Conf. on Ethanol
- WHEREAS, The Clean Air Act requires the use of an oxygenate in reformulated gasoline used in non-attainment areas; and
- WHEREAS, This requirement has resulted in important air quality benefits to our nation; and
- WHEREAS, The decision of petroleum refiners to use methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) rather than clean, renewable ethanol has resulted in serious degradation of groundwater in some regions; and
- WHEREAS, Eliminating the oxygenate requirement is not necessary to allow states to ban MTBE, and would harm efforts to achieve the air quality goals in the Clean Air Act; and
- WHEREAS, The United States Department of Agriculture has determined that ethanol can replace MTBE in reformulated gasoline nationwide within three years, without increases in price or supply disruption; and
- WHEREAS, The use of ethanol not only reduces toxins and improves air quality, it reduces Americaís dependence on imported petroleum and thereby reduces our nationís trade deficit by some $12 billion over the next ten years, increases farm income by an estimated $1 billion annually, and reduces farm program costs by creating important new markets for grain; now therefore be it
- RESOLVED, That the Midwestern Governorsí Conference encourages Congress to maintain its commitment to the federal Clean Air Act by retaining the oxygenate requirement of the reformulated gasoline program and by implementing standards that ensure the opportunity for the use of ethanol blended gasoline in any reformulated gasoline program, thereby preserving the natural environment, protecting the public health and reducing the nationís dependence upon foreign petroleum.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 18.
Question 18: Prioritize green energy
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Environment
- Headline: Replace MTBE in gasoline with cleaner ethanol
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 00-MGC1
||s1s||MO Democratic Senator (Former)|| |
||s1s||IN Former Democratic Governor (1997-2003)|| |
||s1s||KY Former Democrat Governor (1995-2003)|| |
||s1s||ND Former Democratic Governor (1992-2000); Cabinet Sec'y (USDA)|| |
||s1s||IA Former Democratic Governor (1994-2002); Cabinet Sec'y (USDA)|| |
participating in 00-MGC1
||s1s||MI Former Republican Governor (1991-2002)|| |
||s1s||KS Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|| |
||s1s||SD00 Former Republican Governor (1979=1986 & 1995-2002)|| |
||s1s||NE Former Republican Governor (2005-2007); elected Senator 2008|| |
||s1s||IL Former Republican Governor (1999-2002)|| |
||s1s||OH Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: