This page contains Congressional resolutions.
Resolutions indicate the topics that legislators care about, but cannot legislate about.
Resolution: the Western Governors' Association resolution:
Source: WGA Policy Resolution 01 - 06: Rural Health Improvements
- Western Governors want rural areas to have an adequate and able workforce to deliver needed health care services. The governors call on the federal government to provide necessary funding for programs such as the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) that have a state-based component, and the Health Professions programs that help health professionals serve in rural and frontier areas.
- Western Governors believe that rural health care providers should be paid fairly by Medicare in order to ensure access to health care for rural citizens. The governors encourage the federal government to take further steps to ensure equity in Medicare reimbursement for urban and rural areas.
- Alaska, Hawaii, America Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam face extraordinary geographic barriers in providing healthcare services and they should be designated for special consideration and adequate funding to overcome their frontier barriers.
- Federal programs like the Rural Health Outreach Grants and the Rural Hospital Flexibility program need to continue to provide funds to states and communities to experiment with new programs, integration of services and coalition building to develop new types of providers, facilities, and services.
- Western Governors believe in strengthening the existing health care system. Support for home health agencies, rural health clinics, public health nursing and critical access hospitals are partial solutions.
- Western Governors support the elimination of barriers to the use of telemedicine as outlined in the WGA’s 1998 report. In particular, we request that the federal efforts to increase reimbursement for telemedicine consultations, to protect the privacy of patient-identifiable medical information and to support rural health provider telecommunication costs with universal service funds continue.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 5.
Question 5: More federal funding for health coverage
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Health Care
- Headline: More federal funding for rural health services
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 01-WGA06
||s1s||HI Former Democratic Governor (1994-2002)|
||s1s||CA Former Democratic|
||s1s||OR Democratic Governor|
||s1s||WA Former Democratic Governor (1997-2004); Cabinet (Commerce)|
||s1s||AS00 Former Democratic Governor|
participating in 01-WGA06
||s1o||WY Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||KS Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||NV Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|
||s1o||ND Former Republican Governor (2000-2010)|
|Jane Dee Hull
||s1s||AZ Former Republican Governor (1997-2002)|
||s1s||SD00 Former Republican Governor (1979=1986 & 1995-2002)|
||s1s||NE Former Republican Governor (2005-2007); elected Senator 2008|
||s1s||NM Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||MT Former Republican Governor (2001-2005)|
||s1o||CO Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|
||s1s||TX Republican Governor|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: