This page contains excerpts from government reports, signed by elected officials.
on May 8, 2004
Decided Jul 9, 2004
Report: the Senate Intelligence Committee unanimous report on Iraq
Source: The Senate Intelligence Committee unanimous report on 9/11
CONCLUSIONS - TERRORISM
- Conclusion 8. Intelligence Community analysts lack a consistent post-September 11 approach to analyzing and reporting on terrorist threats.
- Conclusion 9. Source protection policies within the Intelligence Community direct or encourage reports officers to exclude relevant detail about the nature of their sources. As a result, analysts community-wide are unable to make fully informed judgments about the information they receive, relying instead on nonspecific source lines to reach their assessments. Moreover, relevant operational data is nearly always withheld from analysts, putting them at a further analytical disadvantage.
- Conclusion 10. The Intelligence Community relies too heavily on foreign government services and third party reporting, thereby increasing the potential for manipulation of U.S. policy by foreign interests.
- Conclusion 11. Several of the allegations of pressure on Intelligence Community (IC) analysts involved repeated questioning. The Committee believes that IC analysts should expect difficult and repeated questions regarding threat information. Just as the post 9/11 environment lowered the Intelligence Community's reporting threshold, it has also affected the intensity with which policymakers will review and question threat information.
- Topic: Homeland Security
- Headline: Hiding sources made post-9-11 analysis impossible
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 04-SIC2
||s1s||MO Republican Sr Senator (retiring 2010)|| |
||s1s||GA Republican Sr Senator (retiring 2014)|| |
||s1s||OH Former Republican Senator (lost re-election, 2006)|| |
||s1s||NE Former Republican Senator (retired 2008)|| |
||s1s||UT Republican Sr Senator|| |
||s1s||MS Former Republican Senator (MS, 1989-2007)|| |
||s1s||KS Republican Sr Senator|| |
||s1s||ME Republican Sr Senator|| |
||s1s||VA Former Republican Senator (retired 2008)|| |
participating in 04-SIC2
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: