This page contains bills sponsored by presidential contenders.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
on Feb 17, 2005
Legislation by 2008 Presidential Candidates: suspending Russia's participation in the G-8
Source: Russia in the Group of 8 (S.CON.RES.14/H.CON.RES.143)
OFFICIAL CONGRESSIONAL SUMMARY: A resolution expressing the sense of Congress that the continued participation of the Russian Federation in the Group of 8 nations should be conditioned on the Russian Government voluntarily accepting and adhering to the norms and standards of democracy.
EXCERPTS OF BILL:
- Whereas the countries that comprise the Group of 7 nations are committed to the observance of universally recognized standards of human rights, respect for individual liberties, and democratic principles;
- Whereas starting in 1991, the leaders of the major free market economies invited then-Russian Pres. Boris Yeltsin to the Group of 7, which in 1998 became known as the Group of 8;
- Whereas under the leadership of Pres. Vladimir Putin, Russia has attempted to control the activities of independent media enterprises, religious organizations, and other pluralistic elements of Russian society in an attempt to mute criticism of the government;
Whereas Russian military forces continue to commit brutal atrocities against the civilian population in Chechnya;
Resolved; That it is the sense of Congress that--
- the selective prosecution of Russia's political opponents, and the continued commission of widespread atrocities in the conduct of the brutal war in Chechnya, do not reflect the minimum democratic standards that characterize every other member state in the Group of 8 nations;
- the continued participation of the Russian Federation in the Group of 8 nations should be conditioned on the Russian Government accepting and adhering to the norms and standards of free, democratic societies;
- the Group of 7 nations should suspend the participation of the Russian Federation in the Group of 8 nations until Russia is committed to respecting and upholding democratic principles.
LEGISLATIVE OUTCOME:Referred to Senate Committee on Foreign Relations; never came to a vote.
- Topic: Foreign Policy
- Headline: Suspend Russia's participation in the G-8
- Headline 2: Sponsored bill suspending Russia's participation in the G-8
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 05-SC14
||s1o||CT Independent Sr Senator; Gore's VP nominee (Retiring)|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: