This page contains bills sponsored by presidential contenders.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Legislation by 2008 Presidential Candidates: requiring Iraq War budget be part of regular defense budget
Source: Defense Authorization Bill (S.AMDT.4242 to S.2766)
OnTheIssues.org Explanation: Since the start of both the Afghanistan war and the Iraq war, expenditures for those war have been voted for in "emergency supplemental spending bills," instead of in the normal defense spending bill. That implies that the expenditures are unexpectedly high, which may have been true in the early years of the war. This amendment requires regular budgeting for the Afghanistan & Iraq wars.
OFFICIAL CONGRESSIONAL SUMMARY: To require regular budgeting for ongoing military operations.
EXCERPTS OF BILL:
- The President's budget for each fiscal year after 2007 shall include--
- a request for funds for such fiscal year for ongoing military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq;
- an estimate of all funds expected to be required in that fiscal year for such operations; and
- a detailed justification of the funds requested.
LEGISLATIVE OUTCOME:Agreed to in Senate by Yea-Nay Vote, 98-0, Vote Number: 170.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 15.
Question 15: Expand the military
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Homeland Security
- Headline: Require Iraq War budget be part of regular defense budget
- Headline 2: Sponsored bill for Iraq budget to be part of defense budget
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 06-SP4242
||s2i||CT Independent Sr Senator; Gore's VP nominee (Retiring)|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: