This page contains bills sponsored by incumbent Senators who are running for re-election in 2008, plus House incumbents running for Senate in 2008.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on. These bills are selected as the "signature issue" that each legislator focused on.
Signature Legislation: supporting the goals and ideals of Charter Schools
A resolution supporting the goals and ideals of National Charter Schools Week, April 30, 2007, through May 4, 2007. Legislative Outcome: Related bills: H.RES.344, H.RES.1168, S.RES.556; agreed to in Senate, by Unanimous Consent.
- Whereas charter schools deliver high-quality education and challenge students to reach their potential;
- Whereas charter schools provide thousands of families with diverse and innovative educational options for their children;
- Whereas charter schools are public schools authorized by designated public entities to respond to the needs of communities, families, and students, and to promote the principles of quality, choice, and innovation;
- Whereas, in exchange for the flexibility and autonomy given to charter schools, charter schools are held accountable by their sponsors for improving student achievement and for their finances and other operations;
- Whereas 40 States and the District of Columbia have passed laws authorizing charter schools;
- Whereas more than 4,000 charter schools operating across the
United States serve more than 1,140,000 students;
- Whereas, over the last 13 years, Congress has provided more than $2,026,225,000 in support to the charter school movement;
- Whereas the eighth annual National Charter Schools Week, to be held April 30 through May 4, 2007, is an event sponsored by charter schools and grassroots charter school organizations across the United States to recognize the significant impacts, achievements, and innovations of charter schools:
- Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the Senate acknowledges and commends charter schools and students, parents, teachers, and administrators of charter schools across the United States for their ongoing contributions to education and improving and strengthening the public school system; and supports the goals and ideals of the eighth annual National Charter Schools Week.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 7.
Question 7: Vouchers for school choice
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Education
- Headline: Support the goals and ideals of Charter Schools
- Headline 2: Support the goals and ideals of Charter Schools
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 07-SR556
||s2o||DE Democratic Sr Senator|| |
||s1i||LA Democratic Sr Senator|| |
participating in 07-SR556
||s2o||DE 2010 Senate Challenger (lost primary); previously Gov.& Rep.|| |
||s2o||NC Former Cabinet Member (Labor Sec'y) and Senator|| |
||s2o||CT Independent Sr Senator; Gore's VP nominee (Retiring)|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: