Error processing SSI file
on Jan 6, 2009
Source: Fair Tax Act
- Repeals the income tax, employment tax, and estate and gift tax.
- Imposes a national sales tax on the use or consumption in the United States of taxable property or services.
- Sets the sales tax rate at 23% in 2011, with adjustments to the rate in subsequent years.
- Allows exemptions from the tax for property or services purchased for business, export, or investment purposes, and for state government functions.
- Prohibits the funding of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) after FY2013.
- Establishes in the Department of the Treasury: (1) an Excise Tax Bureau to administer excise taxes not administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF); and (2) a Sales Tax Bureau to administer the national sales tax.
- Terminates the sales tax imposed by this Act if the Sixteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (authorizing an income tax) is not repealed within seven years after the enactment of this Act.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 11.
Question 11: Make taxes more progressive
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Tax Reform
- Headline: Replace income tax & employment tax with FairTax
- Headline 2: Sponsored FairTax bill, to replace income tax
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: