This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Source: Resolution on Japanese trade
RESOLUTION Supporting increased market access for exports of United States beef and beef products to Japan.
- Whereas, in 2003, Japan was the largest market for US beef, with exports valued at $1,400,000,000;
- Whereas, after the discovery of 1 Canadian-born cow infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy ([known as "mad cow disease"] or BSE) disease in Dec. 2003, Japan closed its market to US beef, and still restricts access to a large number of safe US beef products;
- Whereas for years the US has developed and implemented a multilayered system of interlocking safeguards to ensure the safety of US beef, and after the 2003 discovery, the US implemented further safeguards to ensure beef safety;
- Whereas a 2006 study by the USDA found that BSE was virtually nonexistent in the US;
- Whereas, from 2004 through 2009, US beef exports to Japan averaged roughly $196,000,000, less than 15% of the amount the US sold to Japan in 2003, causing significant losses for
US cattle producers; and
- Whereas, while Japan remains an important trading partner of the US, this unscientific trade restriction is not consistent with fair trade practices, nor with US treatment of Japanese imports:
Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That it is the sense of the Senate that--
- it is not in the interest of either the US or Japan to arbitrarily restrict market access for their close partners;
- trade between the US and Japan should be conducted with mutual respect and based on sound science;
- since banning US beef in Dec. 2003, Japan has not treated US beef producers fairly;
- both Japan and the US should comply with guidelines based on sound science;
- Japan should immediately expand market access for US exporters of both bone-in and boneless beef beyond the existing standard of beef from cattle 20 months and younger; and
- the President should insist on increased access for US exporters of beef and beef products to the market in Japan.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 13.
Question 13: Support & expand free trade
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Free Trade
- Headline: Insist on access to post-mad-cow Japanese beef markets
- Headline 2: Sponsored bill for post-mad-cow access to Japan beef markets
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 10-SR452
||s1s||Georgia Former GOP (until 2010)|
||s1s||Florida Former GOP (until 2010)|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: