This page lists memberships in organizations, for elected officials.
Each organization determines its own rules for membership.
Decided Mar 2, 2011
Membership Roster: of the House Education and Labor Committee
Source: U.S. House of Representatives website, www.house.gov
The House Committee on Education and the Workforce's purpose is to ensure that Americans' needs are addressed so that students and workers may move forward in a changing school system and a competitive global economy. The following issues are under the jurisdiction of the Committee:
- Elementary and secondary education initiatives, including the No Child Left Behind Act, school choice for low-income families, special education, and vocational and technical education;
- Higher education programs
- Early childhood & preschool education programs including Head Start;
- School lunch and child nutrition programs;
- Programs and services for the care and treatment of at-risk youth, child abuse prevention, and child adoption;
- Anti-poverty programs, including the Community Services Block Grant Act and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
- Labor: The Committee also holds jurisdiction over workforce initiatives, including:
Pension and retirement security
- Access to quality health care for working families and other employee benefits;
- Job training, adult education, and workforce development initiatives, including those under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
- Continuing the successful welfare reforms of 1996;
- Worker health and safety, including occupational safety and health;
- Providing greater choices and flexibility (including "comp time" or family time options) to working women and men;
- Equal employment opportunity and civil rights in employment;
- Wages and hours of labor, including the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Workers' compensation, and family and medical leave;
- All matters dealing with relationships between employers and employees.
- Topic: Jobs
- Headline: Member of House Education and Labor Committee
- Headline 2: Chair of House Education and Labor Committee
- Headline 3: Leader of House Education and Labor Committee
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 11-HC-ELC
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: