The Reagan-Carter Presidential Debate, Oct, 1980
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Reagan-Carter Presidential Debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Jimmy Carter (7)
- Ronald Reagan (8)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Excerpts from the 1980 presidential debates between President Jimmy Carter and Governor Ronald Reagan:
- September 21, 1980: in Baltimore (Reagan vs. Rep. John Anderson)
- October 28, 1980: in Cleveland (Reagan vs. Pres. Carter)
Other historical debate series:
- Kennedy vs. Nixon, 1960
- Carter vs. Ford, 1976
- Clinton vs. Bush, 1992
Historical transcripts from the American Presidency Project
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Ronald Reagan: Inflation doesn't come upon us like plague; it's government.
Energy & Oil|
Jimmy Carter: Invest windfall profits tax in synthetic fuels & solar.
Ronald Reagan: Lower regulations on coal; explore for oil offshore in OCS.
Ronald Reagan: CA established CWA and OSHA, but over Reagan's objections.
Jimmy Carter: Steady increase in defense to offset 37% drop since 1969.
Jimmy Carter: SALT II is result of 7 years of bipartisan negotiations.
Ronald Reagan: America has never gotten in a war because we were too strong.
Ronald Reagan: Scrap SALT II treaty; too many unilateral concessions.
Ronald Reagan: Minimum wage does away with jobs, especially for black youth.
Jimmy Carter: Voluntarily name beneficiaries, but no other voluntary part.
Ronald Reagan: Social security system was based on a false premise.
Jimmy Carter: Revitalize inner cities with $43B for transportation systems.
War & Peace|
Jimmy Carter: Kept our country at peace, and extend peace to others.
Jimmy Carter: Strength is imperative for peace, but goal is peace.
Welfare & Poverty|
Ronald Reagan: Development zones to reverse decline of our cities.
The above quotations are from The Reagan-Carter Presidential Debate, Oct, 1980.
Biographies of past presidents:
- President George W. Bush
- Decision Points, by George W. Bush
- A Charge to Keep, by George W. Bush
- President Bill Clinton
- Back to Work, by Pres. Bill Clinton
- The Agenda, by Bob Woodward
- President George H. W. Bush
- All the Best, My Life in Letters, by George Bush Sr.
- The Family, (the Bushes) by Kitty Kelley
- William & Mary Environmental Law Review, by Cameron Lynch
- President Ronald Reagan
- Dutch, a Memoir of Ronald Reagan, by Edmund Morris
- Abortion and the Conscience of a Nation, by Pres. Ronald Reagan
- President Jimmy Carter
- An Hour Before Daylight, by Jimmy Carter
- Jimmy Who?: biography of Jimmy Carter
- President Gerald Ford
- Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate,by Bob Woodward
- A Time to Heal: The Autobiography of Gerald R. Ford
- President Richard Nixon
- Seize the Moment, by Richard Nixon
- The Watergate Transcripts, by The Washington Post
- President Lyndon Johnson
- The Passage of Power, by Robert Caro
- Taking Charge: The Johnson White House Tapes, by Michael Beschloss
- President John F. Kennedy
- Profiles In Courage, by John F. Kennedy
- A Nation of Immigrants, by John F. Kennedy
- Kennedy & Nixon, by Chris Matthews
- 1000 Days, by Arthur Schlesinger
- President Dwight Eisenhower
- Waging Peace, by Dwight Eisenhower
- Ike and Dick, by Jeffrey Frank
- President Harry Truman
- Plain Speaking, by Merle Miller
- Wit & Wisdom of Harry Truman, by Ralph Keyes