Kennedy, by Ted Sorensen
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 23 full quotes from John F. Kennedy in the book Kennedy, by Ted Sorensen.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Presided over strongest economic expansion in modern history.
1961 recession plan: prompt recovery toward long-term growth.
Heavy deficit spending to recover from 1961 recession.
All presidents outspend their predecessors.
Impatient for school desegregation in early 1960s.
Civil rights in public, not private intermarriage.
The human mind is our fundamental resource.
1963 Higher Education Act: more grants; more colleges.
Aid to Education Bill defeated when private schools excluded.
Pray ourselves, if courts won't allow school prayer.
Liberty without learning is always in peril.
Rural Areas Development program for agriculture technology.
1961: Created the Peace Corps.
"World safe for diversity", instead of "safe for democracy".
Alianza para el Progreso: development aid for Latin America.
Economic isolation incompatible with political leadership.
Send surplus wheat to Russians, while subsidizing US farmers.
Attempted unsuccessfully to create retirement-based Medicare.
Increased defense spending, but also increased efficiency.
Defense spending should not be limited by budget amount.
1961: Added 13-week unemployment benefits in recession.
1961: We need tax cut to keep drive from running out of gas.
War & Peace|
Increased anti-guerilla forces; founded the Green Berets.
The above quotations are from Kennedy, by Ted Sorensen.
Biographies of past presidents:
- President George W. Bush
- Decision Points, by George W. Bush
- A Charge to Keep, by George W. Bush
- President Bill Clinton
- Back to Work, by Pres. Bill Clinton
- The Agenda, by Bob Woodward
- President George H. W. Bush
- All the Best, My Life in Letters, by George Bush Sr.
- The Family, (the Bushes) by Kitty Kelley
- William & Mary Environmental Law Review, by Cameron Lynch
- President Ronald Reagan
- Dutch, a Memoir of Ronald Reagan, by Edmund Morris
- Abortion and the Conscience of a Nation, by Pres. Ronald Reagan
- President Jimmy Carter
- An Hour Before Daylight, by Jimmy Carter
- Jimmy Who?: biography of Jimmy Carter
- President Gerald Ford
- Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate,by Bob Woodward
- A Time to Heal: The Autobiography of Gerald R. Ford
- President Richard Nixon
- Seize the Moment, by Richard Nixon
- The Watergate Transcripts, by The Washington Post