This page contains Congressional resolutions.
Resolutions indicate the topics that legislators care about, but cannot legislate about.
Resolution: the Western Governors' Association resolution:
Source: WGA Policy Resolution 01 - 15: Cleaning Up Abandoned Mines
- The Western Governors believe that there is a need to eliminate disincentives, and establish incentives, to voluntary, cooperative efforts aimed at improving and protecting water quality impacted by abandoned or inactive mines.
- The Western Governors believe the Clean Water Act should be amended to protect a remediating agency from becoming legally responsible for any continuing discharges from the abandoned mine site after completion of a cleanup project, provided that the remediating agency -- or "Good Samaritan"-- does not otherwise have liability for that abandoned or inactive mine site and attempts to improve the conditions at the site.
- The Western Governors believe that Congress, as a priority, should amend the Clean Water Act in a manner that accomplishes the goals embodied in the WGA legislative package on Good Samaritan cleanups. S.1787 from the 106 th Congress is a good starting point for future congressional deliberations.
Cleanup and Funding
- The Governors encourage federal land management agencies to coordinate their abandoned mine efforts with state efforts to avoid redundancy and unnecessary duplication.
- Reliable sources of funds that do not divert from other important Clean Water programs should be identified and made available for the cleanup of hardrock abandoned mines in the West.
- The Western Governors continue to urge the Administration and Congress to promptly distribute to states abandoned coal mine land funds in the Abandoned Mine Reclamation Trust Fund , including accumulated interest, collected under Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 (see WGA Policy Resolution 00-012).
- Topic: Environment
- Headline: Apply "Good Samaritan" rules to abandoned mine cleanup
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 01-WGA15
||s1s||HI Former Democratic Governor (1994-2002)|
||s1s||CA Former Democratic|
||s1s||OR Democratic Governor|
||s1s||WA Former Democratic Governor (1997-2004); Cabinet (Commerce)|
||s1s||AS00 Former Democratic Governor|
participating in 01-WGA15
||s1s||WY Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||KS Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1o||NV Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|
||s1s||ND Former Republican Governor (2000-2010)|
|Jane Dee Hull
||s1s||AZ Former Republican Governor (1997-2002)|
||s1o||SD00 Former Republican Governor (1979=1986 & 1995-2002)|
||s1s||NE Former Republican Governor (2005-2007); elected Senator 2008|
||s1o||NM Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||MT Former Republican Governor (2001-2005)|
||s1o||CO Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|
||s1s||TX Republican Governor|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: