This page contains bills sponsored by presidential contenders.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Legislation by 2008 Presidential Candidates: giving tax credit to remove lead-based housepaint
Source: Home Lead Safety Tax Credit Act (S.2053/H.R.4464)
OFFICIAL CONGRESSIONAL SUMMARY: Allows a tax credit for 50% of the costs of reducing lead hazards in U.S. homes built before 1960 in which certain low-income children less than six years of age and women of child-bearing age reside. Allows a maximum credit of $3,000 for lead abatement costs and $1,000 for the cost of interim lead control measures.
EXCERPTS OF BILL:
Congress finds that:There shall be allowed as a tax credit, an amount equal to 50% of the lead hazard reduction activity cost paid, up to $1,000 per year for certain activities and $3,000 per year for other activities.
- Of the 98 million housing units in the United States, 38 million have lead-based paint.
- Of the 38 million housing units with lead-based paint, 25 million pose a hazard due to conditions such as peeling paint and settled dust on floors and windowsills that contain lead at levels above Federal safety standards.
- Lead poisoning remains a serious, entirely preventable threat to a child's intelligence, behavior, and learning.
The Administration has established a national goal of ending childhood lead poisoning by 2010.
- Current Federal lead abatement programs only have resources sufficient to make approximately 7,000 homes lead-safe each year.
- The replacement of old windows that contain lead based paint significantly reduces lead poisoning hazards in addition to producing significant energy savings.
- Childhood lead poisoning can be dramatically reduced by the abatement or complete removal of all lead-based paint.
LEGISLATIVE OUTCOME:Referred to Senate Committee on Finance; never came to a vote.
- Topic: Environment
- Headline: Tax credit to remove lead-based housepaint
- Headline 2: Sponsored bill for tax credit to remove lead-based paint
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 05-S2053
||s1o||OH Former Republican Senator (lost re-election, 2006)|| |
||s2p||Illinois Republican (Retiring 2008)|| |
|Gordon Harold Smith
||s1o||OR Former Republican Senator (lost re-election, 2008)|| |
participating in 05-S2053
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: