This page contains bills sponsored by incumbent Senators who are running for re-election in 2008, plus House incumbents running for Senate in 2008.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on. These bills are selected as the "signature issue" that each legislator focused on.
Signature Legislation: including post-traumatic stress disorder in vet's disability
Source: Full Faith in Veterans Act (H.R.5448)
Full Faith in Veterans Act of 2008 - To accept as sufficient proof of service-connection of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) alleged to have been incurred in or aggravated by active military service a diagnosis of PTSD by a mental health professional, together with a written determination that such disorder is related to the veteran's service, if consistent with the circumstances, conditions, or hardships of such service, notwithstanding that there is no official record of such incurrence or aggravation during such service. Requires the Secretary to resolve every reasonable doubt in favor of the veteran. Allows PTSD service-connection to be rebutted by clear and convincing evidence.
Requires the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to:
- conduct audits of examinations of veterans who submit claims for disability compensation for PTSD;
- update the schedule for rating disabilities with respect to PTSD, traumatic brain injury, and other mental disorders;
- implement new PTSD criteria;
- implement a holistic treatment approach for veterans with PTSD; and
- require VA employees responsible for adjudicating disability compensation ratings to take into consideration veterans' treatment records from readjustment counseling centers and written opinions of mental health professionals.
- Topic: Homeland Security
- Headline: Include post-traumatic stress disorder in vet's disability
- Headline 2: Include post-traumatic stress disorder in vet's disability
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 08-H5448
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: