This page contains bills sponsored by incumbent Senators who are running for re-election in 2008, plus House incumbents running for Senate in 2008.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on. These bills are selected as the "signature issue" that each legislator focused on.
Signature Legislation: establishing a National Diabetes Coordinator
Source: National Diabetes Coordinator Act (S2742/HR4836)
A bill to reduce the incidence, progression, and impact of diabetes and its complications and establish the position of National Diabetes Coordinator. Establishes the position of National Diabetes Coordinator, whose duties shall be to:
- serve as the principal advisor on reducing the rates of diabetes and its complications;
- develop a measurement for the incidence of diabetes;
- develop and coordinate implementation of a national strategy to reduce the incidence, progression, and impact of diabetes and its complications;
- provide leadership and coordination to ensure that diabetes-related programs are coordinated internally and with those of relevant federal, state, and local agencies with a goal of avoiding duplication of effort, maximizing impact, and marshaling all government resources; and
- coordinate public and private resources to develop and lead a public awareness campaign regarding the prevention and control of diabetes and its complications.
In carrying out the duties described, the Coordinator shall adhere to the mission of:
- preventing diabetes in those individuals and populations at risk for the disease;
- increasing detection of diabetes;
- maximizing the return on diabetes research;
- increasing diabetes control efforts;
- improving the standard of diabetes care available; and
- supplementing, but not supplanting, existing diabetes research programs.
- Requires reports to the President on ways in which food programs and nutritional support can be better targeted at concerns specific to those at risk for diabetes or those already diagnosed whose complications could be reduced by more effective diet.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 5.
Question 5: Expand ObamaCare
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Health Care
- Headline: Establish a National Diabetes Coordinator
- Headline 2: Establish a National Diabetes Coordinator
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 08-S2742
||s1i||MS Republican Sr Senator|| |
||s2o||GA Republican Jr Senator; previously Representative|| |
participating in 08-S2742
||s2o||NC Former Cabinet Member (Labor Sec'y) and Senator|| |
||s2o||IN 2010 Democratic Challenger|| |
||s2o||Puerto Rico At-Large (retired 2008)|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: