This page contains letters signed by elected officials,
usually written to the President or relevant members of Congress.
Letter: a letter to House leaders from 4 Governors:
Source: National Governor's Association letter to Congress
The nationís Governors have serious concerns with recent proposals to expand the use of TANF funds beyond the original intent of the statute. The TANF block grant was at the heart of the 1996 welfare reform agreement and we strongly oppose attempts to use welfare-related funds to pay for other federal programs.
Specifically, the House budget resolution anticipates that states will be given additional flexibility to use unspent TANF funds for educational purposes, such as school construction and hiring teachers. Notwithstanding the merit of these initiatives, designating welfare funds for such programs is clearly beyond the original purposes of TANF. We caution you that an expansion of flexibility outside the scope of TANF sets a dangerous precedent of violating the original purposes established as part of welfare reform agreement, [which states] that the purpose of TANF is to:
We have experienced tremendous success in transforming the welfare system from one of dependency to one of self-sufficiency. However, there is more work to be done. Opening up the TANF block grant to fund other priorities sets a dangerous precedent and is simply unacceptable. The nationís Governors urge you to protect the integrity of the TANF block grant as it was established in 1996.
- provide assistance to needy families so that children may be cared for in their own homes or in the homes of relatives;
- end the dependence of needy parents on government benefits by promoting job preparation, work, and marriage;
- prevent and reduce the incidence of out-of-wedlock pregnancies and establish annual numerical goals for preventing and reducing the incidence of these pregnancies; and
- encourage the formation and maintenance of two-parent families.
- Topic: Families & Children
- Headline: Keep TANF program focused on family welfare, not other tasks
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 99-NGA32
||s1a||DE Democratic Sr Senator|| |
||s1a||IN Former Democratic Governor (1997-2003)|| |
participating in 99-NGA32
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: