Anchorage Daily News: 2006 gubernatorial candidate profile series, Oct. 29-31, 2006
The Anchorage Daily News published a series of articles profiling the gubernatorial candidates just prior to the 2006 election.
The articles excerpted include:
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2006 gubernatorial candidate profile series in Anchorage Daily News (number of quotes indicated):
- Sarah Palin (22)
- Tony Knowles (6)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
- "Where they stand: Running for governor", Oct. 22, 2006
- "Fresh face launched, carries Palin's career, by Tom Kizzia, Oct. 23, 2006
- "Candidates angle for the fishing crowd's vote", by Wesley Loy, Oct. 29, 2006
- "Cruise tax debate may go on", by Elizabeth Bluemink, Oct. 30, 2006
- "Candidates' views mixed on mining", by Elizabeth Bluemink, Oct. 31, 2006
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Sarah Palin: If Roe v. Wade got overturned, let people decide what’s next.
Sarah Palin: Opposes use of public funds for abortions.
Budget & Economy|
Sarah Palin: Coordinate state tourism marketing but no additional funding.
Tony Knowles: Double funding for state tourism marketing to $10 million.
Sarah Palin: Death penalty for adults who murder children.
Sarah Palin: Questions cruise ship gambling, under casino gambling ban.
Sarah Palin: Support charters & home schools; not private school vouchers.
Energy & Oil|
Sarah Palin: Firm start date as part of gasline incentive offer.
Sarah Palin: Opposes natural gas reserves tax--it’s not earned income yet.
Sarah Palin: Analyze potential costs associated with climate change.
Sarah Palin: Supports “Roads to Resources”: subsidized access to mines.
Tony Knowles: Strongly opposes Pebble mine as an unacceptable risk.
Tony Knowles: Opposes “Roads to Resources”: no subsidized access to mines.
Sarah Palin: Don’t duplicate effort in monitoring cruise ship emissions.
Sarah Palin: Don’t amend AK constitution for rural subsistence fishing.
Tony Knowles: Amend AK constitution to cement rural subsistence fishing.
Sarah Palin: Supports state funding for Gravina Island bridge.
Sarah Palin: Immigrants want more vocational training & senior assistance.
Sarah Palin: Praised the Red Dog zinc mine for bringing rural jobs.
Sarah Palin: Department of Fish and Game is under-funded.
Tony Knowles: Urges “crab rationalization repair” to restore lost jobs.
Principles & Values|
Sarah Palin: Endorsed by United Fishermen of Alaska (commercial group).
Sarah Palin: Mitigate impact of new $50M annual cruise ship tourism tax.
Tony Knowles: Supports new $50M annual cruise ship tourism tax.
Sarah Palin: No income tax; no taking the people’s dividends.
Sarah Palin: Would support a seasonal sales tax, but no income tax.
War & Peace|
Sarah Palin: I support President Bush’s efforts to stop terrorism.
Welfare & Poverty|
Sarah Palin: Funding for faith-based initiatives is adequate today.
The above quotations are from Anchorage Daily News: 2006 gubernatorial candidate profile series, Oct. 29-31, 2006.
Gov. Sarah Palin's documents & debates:
- Palin vs. Michele Bachmann On the Issues, by Jesse Gordon, Jan. 2012
- The Rogue, by Joe McGinnis, Oct. 2011
- America By Heart, by Sarah Palin, Nov. 23, 2010
- Going Rogue, by Sarah Palin, Nov. 17, 2009
- The Faith & Values of Sarah Palin, by Stephen Mansfield, Oct, 2010
- V.P. debate, Washington U. in St. Louis, Oct. 2, 2008
- Wasilla resident's view: Palin's mayoral constituent
- Sean Hannity interview: on Fox News "Hannity & Colmes", Sept. 2008
- Katie Couric interview: on CBS News, Sept. 2008
- Republican Convention, Sep. 2-4, 2008
- Gubernatorial documents
: Palin's resolutions and proclamations
- New Energy for Alaska, 2006 campaign booklet
- Debate against Gov. Tony Knowles
, 2006 general election
- 2006 Candidate Profiles, in Anchorage Daily News