Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harm’s Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Sunday Political Talk Show interviews during 2017-2019, interviewing presidential hopefuls for 2020
This collection of excerpts comes from articles about and interviews of 2020 presidential hopefuls.
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Sunday Political Talk Show interviews during 2017-2019 (number of quotes indicated):
- Ben Sasse (1) Republican Challenger
- David Koch (2) Libertarian candidate for Vice President (1980)
- Deval Patrick (2) Massachusetts Democratic Governor
- Donald Trump (2) Republican Presidential candidate
- Eric Garcetti (4) California Mayor of Los Angeles
- George P. Bush (1) Texas Republican Texas Land Commissioner
- Howard Dean (1) Democrat
- Howard Schultz (2) Starbucks CEO
- Jay Inslee (6) Washington Democratic Governor
- John Kasich (26) Ohio Republican Governor
- Kamala Harris (2) Democratic Senate candidate California
- Lindsey Graham (4) South Carolina S.C. Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Marco Rubio (5) FL Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Mike Pence (3) Indiana Republican nominee for Vice President
- Oprah Winfrey (10) Possible candidate for president 2020
- Paul Ryan (1) Republican
- Pope Francis (3) Leader of the Catholic Church
- Ted Cruz (1) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Tom Steyer (17) Possible Democratic candidate for President from California
- Tulsi Gabbard (5) Democrat U.S. Rep Hawaii-2
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Speculation on 2020 presidential contenders (sources for issue excerpts):
- Axios.com, "John Kasich to fellow GOPers: Stop denying climate change", by Amy Harder, Feb. 26, 2019
- The Hill, "Kasich to push Republicans for policies to address climate change," by Avery Anapol, Feb. 26, 2019
- Penn Today (U.Penn.), "Joe Biden talking politics," by Lauren Hertzler, Feb. 19, 2019
- Politico.com, "Harris calls for marijuana legalization," by Katie Galioto, 2/11/2019
- Reuters, "Sanders to ask why drug, once free, now costs $375k," by Yasmeen Abutaleb, Feb. 4, 2019
- New York Post, "Cory Booker declares bid for presidency," by Yaron Steinbuch, February 1, 2019
- Vox.com, "That time Donald Trump proposed a 14.5 percent wealth tax", by Matthew Yglesias, Jan 31, 2019
- Vox.com, "5 anti-poverty plans from 2020 Democratic presidential contenders, explained," by Dylan Matthews, Jan 30, 2019
- Washington Examiner, "Scourge of the socialists?", by Philip Wegmann, January 29, 2019
- Yahoo Entertainment Video, "Kamala Harris has an extreme idea to get gun control legislation passed," Jan 29th 2019
- Vox.com, "Elizabeth Warren's proposed tax on enormous fortunes, explained," by Matthew Yglesias, Jan 24, 2019
- Time Magazine, "Kamala Harris Jumps Into Presidential Race," by Juana Summers, January 21, 2019
- Washington Post, "Schultz running as an independent for president in 2020," by Michael Scherer, January 18, 2019
- Washington Free Beacon, "Gillibrand apologizes for 'callous' views on immigration," by David Rutz, January 16, 2019
- The Daily Beast, "Gillibrand to Colbert: I'm Going to Run," by Gideon Resnick, 01.15.19
- CNN.com, "Tulsi Gabbard once touted working for anti-gay group that backed conversion therapy," by Andrew Kaczynski, Jan. 13, 2019
- The Atlantic, "Can a Democrat Win the Presidency on Climate Change?", by Edward-Isaac Dovere, 1/2/2019
- Snopes.com, "Did Elizabeth Warren Say Abortion Is 'No Different' Than Removing Tonsils?", January 2019
- Snopes.com, "Is Kamala Harris Not Eligible to Serve as U.S. President?", January 2019
- John Bowden in The Hill, "America First message at UN," Sept. 26, 2018
- NBC4 WCMH TV Columbus, “Kasich looking to put more money in the pockets of Ohio workers,” by Jason Aubry, Aug 13, 2018
- Ohio Statehouse News Bureau, "Farmers Take On Kasich's Regulations To Clean Up Lake Erie," by Andy Chow, July 18, 2018
- Foreign Affairs (policy journal), "Reclaiming Global Leadership," by Governor John Kasich, 6/6/2018
- CBS Boston, "Starbucks CEO Steps Down, May Consider Run For President," by Nathaniel Meyersohn, June 4, 2018
- Politico.com, "Patrick plans 2020 decision by end of the year", by Lauren Dezenski, 06/04/2018
- Los Angeles Times, "Eric Garcetti, still weighing a presidential run, delivers commencement address in N.H.," by Cindy Chang, May 13, 2018
- CNN, “Kasich to Trump: 'Take some steps' on gun control,” by Eli Watkins, February 18, 2018
- CNN, "Kasich on North Korea: 'Eradicate the leadership'," by Caroline Kenny, April 28, 2017
- Reuters, "Trump backs away from labeling China a currency manipulator," by David Lawder, 4/12/2017
- CNN, "Kasich meets with Obama to discuss TPP," by Eric Bradner and Eugene Scott, Sept. 16, 2016
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Eric Garcetti: Pro-choice.
Tom Steyer: Pro-choice is a litmus test for all support.
Mike Pence: Tie-breaker vote to defund Planned Parenthood.
Oprah Winfrey: Too young for Roe V. Wade to avoid botched abortion.
Budget & Economy|
Jay Inslee: Leading state in job growth & personal-income growth.
Tom Steyer: Trump's $1T deficit is historic fiscal mismanagement.
Howard Dean: 2004: I wore a bullet-proof vest to argue for civil unions.
Tulsi Gabbard: Regrets past anti-gay statements; now pro-LGBTQ+ rights.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2002: Amend Constitution to protect traditional marriage.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2004: We shouldn't represent views of homosexual extremists.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2012: Apologized for anti-LGBT past; pro-LGBT bills now.
George P. Bush: Allow Muslims in leadership roles in state Republican Party.
Ted Cruz: Allow Muslims in leadership roles in state Republican Party.
Deval Patrick: 1985: defended community activists in Alabama voter case.
Howard Schultz: Race Together: conversation on race with all Starbucks staff.
Tom Steyer: African-Americans waited for centuries for civil rights.
Oprah Winfrey: Define marriage to include monogamous same-sex couples.
Oprah Winfrey: Credits the civil rights movement for her pathway to success.
Howard Schultz: American Dream can't be accessible only in right zip code.
Marco Rubio: Big corporations gave out bonuses instead of reinvesting.
Tom Steyer: Trump puts corporate interests ahead of people's interests.
Tom Steyer: Backs bill to release accused criminals who can't pay bail.
John Kasich: Make low-level drug use a misdemeanor; treatment not prison.
Marco Rubio: Bad idea to arm teachers against school shootings.
David Koch: Push for education savings accounts on state ballots.
Oprah Winfrey: Changing the way people think starts with education.
Tom Steyer: Opportunity Institute: cradle to career approach.
Energy & Oil|
Jay Inslee: Decade-long track record on climate change.
Jay Inslee: Climate change threatens environment & national security.
Jay Inslee: Spur green R&D; restrict power plants and emissions.
Jay Inslee: Establish solar-cell; expand use of electric ferries.
Pope Francis: Climate change is a critical problem that must be addressed.
Tom Steyer: NextGen Climate: $170 million to advance renewable energy.
Tom Steyer: Fears current policies will subsidize fossil fuel extraction.
Tom Steyer: Supports Paris agreement to develop renewable technology.
John Kasich: Opposed Yucca Mountain nuclear waste facility.
John Kasich: Properly balance environmental stewardship and job creation.
John Kasich: Eliminate NOAA; let DOI safeguard natural resources.
John Kasich: Reduce Erie pollution with tougher fertilizer regulations.
John Kasich: Mandate best practices to reduce farm fertilizer runoff.
Families & Children|
Tulsi Gabbard: 2000: Don't let gay activists force their values on our kids.
Marco Rubio: Increased child tax credit plus paid family leave.
Tom Steyer: Republicans have traded their family values for power.
Ben Sasse: Wrote book about middle class:"The Vanishing American Adult".
Mike Pence: Does not eat or drink with women other than his wife.
John Kasich: Cooperation and engagement instead of "Fortress America".
John Kasich: China is converting economic power into regional influence.
John Kasich: Opportunity to cooperate with China instead of containment.
Lindsey Graham: Recognize Jerusalem as capital of Israel.
John Kasich: Review trade violations without heavy-handed tariffs.
John Kasich: Combat Chinese dumping and currency manipulation.
John Kasich: Trade was not responsible for job losses; technology was.
John Kasich: Support TPP to eliminate 18,000 foreign tariffs on US goods.
Marco Rubio: Bring back American car-manufacturing via high automation.
John Kasich: Supports Trans-Pacific Partnership but not trade ideology.
John Kasich: TPP takes advantage of economic opportunities in Pacific Rim.
Tom Steyer: Looking for old fashioned values, character and transparency.
Jay Inslee: Arming teachers with guns is ridiculous.
John Kasich: Learn from mass shooting tragedies and take action.
Kamala Harris: We cannot tolerate society with our babies being slaughtered.
Tom Steyer: Targets youth voter registration for pro gun control votes.
Marco Rubio: Ban bump stocks; limit magazine size; more background checks.
John Kasich: We need bipartisan gun reform to deal with mass shootings.
John Kasich: Background checks and increased attention to mental illness.
Oprah Winfrey: Advocate for increased restrictions on gun control.
Eric Garcetti: I'm a single-payer guy.
Tom Steyer: We need transparency on all drug prices.
John Kasich: Prioritize nuclear agreements like START and INF.
John Kasich: Allies directly affected should repatriate Syrian refugees.
Kamala Harris: No border wall in any comprehensive bill.
Oprah Winfrey: Backs pathway to citizenship for all the illegal aliens.
Tom Steyer: $2.3M to recruit and train immigrant advocates.
Pope Francis: Opposes border wall between US and Mexico.
Pope Francis: Vocal advocate for the plight of refugees.
Eric Garcetti: Universal pathway to employment.
Tom Steyer: Closed tax loophole on out of state business, creating jobs.
Principles & Values|
Eric Garcetti: There ARE two Americas: Washington DC, and the rest of us.
John Kasich: Two-party system no longer appeals to majority of voters.
Oprah Winfrey: Follows avant-garde version of an all-accepting religion.
Deval Patrick: Joined Bain Capital, lecture tour "Reinvesting in America".
Lindsey Graham: I did not vote for Trump for President in 2016.
Mike Pence: Founded PAC Great America Committee" separate from Trump.
John Kasich: Reduce tax withholding by 3.1%.
David Koch: Spending $20M to popularize Trump's $1.5 trillion tax cut.
Oprah Winfrey: Resents the high taxes the government makes her pay.
Paul Ryan: GOP tax cut saves $700 for people earning $30,000.
Tom Steyer: Tax reform bill keeps the rich happy but hurts middle class.
War & Peace|
Donald Trump: We've beaten ISIS in Syria; bring US troops home.
Lindsey Graham: Hearings on Trump's decision to withdraw troops from Syria.
John Kasich: Keep up pressure on North Korea to give up nukes.
John Kasich: Balance cooperation and confrontation with China.
John Kasich: Forward-deploy US forces in the Pacific to challenge China.
Lindsey Graham: Damage from war with North Korea would be worth it.
Tom Steyer: Trump foreign policy strategy is to react, not think.
Oprah Winfrey: Gave post-9/11 platform to anti-war advocates.
Donald Trump: To eradicate ISIS, we need action, not talk.
John Kasich: Eradicate leadership of North Korea but no military strike.
Welfare & Poverty|
Oprah Winfrey: Used lessons learned growing up in poverty to propel herself.
The above quotations are from Sunday Political Talk Show interviews during 2017-2019, interviewing presidential hopefuls for 2020.