This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Bill Sponsorship: the National Improvement in Mathematics and Science Teaching Act:
Source: House Resolution Sponsorship
Title: To improve the quality and scope of science and mathematics education.
Summary: Directs the Secretary of Education to:
- make grants to States for improvement and recruitment of quality teachers in science and mathematics education;
- make grants to States for professional development of mathematics and science teachers;
- establish 15 John Glenn Academies, for summer workshops and intensive, year-long fellowships for 3,000 individuals to prepare them to meet State certification requirements;
- establish and operate a National Clearinghouse of Best Practices to coordinate successful and proven professional development opportunities for teachers;
- make grants to improve science and mathematics education, and encourage more students to enter the fields of mathematics, science, and technology;
- make grants to promote both achievement equity and gender equity in mathematics and science education;
- establish a tax credit for businesses that employ science, mathematics, and technology teachers in summer fellowships related to their fields of teaching; and
- establish a fair market value tax deduction for charitable contributions of science, mathematics, or technology equipment to public elementary and secondary schools.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 7.
Question 7: Parents choose schools via vouchers
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Education
- Headline: Teacher development grants to improve math & science classes
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 01-HR117
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: