In My Time
A Personal and Political Memoir
by Dick Cheney with Liz Cheney
(Click for Amazon book review)
BOOK REVIEW by OnTheIssues.org:
This book is Vice President Dick Cheney's memoir, not only of his time in federal government, but in Congress and at home as well. Dick Cheney famously remained stoically silent on most controversies during his Vice Presidency, so this book provides all of his opinions on those controversies for the first time:
Readers will also discover that Cheney vehemently disliked Colin Powell, who has responded to this book in detail. We await Powell's response in book form; in Powell's previous book, American Journey, Powell had already spoken of Cheney positively -- but now things might be different!
- His two DUI drunk driving arrests (p. 51, and in context of Bush's DUI's, p. 285)
- His heart attacks (p. 120, p. 242, and p. 292)
- Shooting his hunting partner in the face (p.250-2)
- Bush vs. Gore (p.296-8; Lieberman acted respectfully; others did not)
- The 16 words (p. 403-4; regarding the false statement that Saddam sought uranium in Niger)
- Plamegate (p. 403-4; it was all Armitage's and Powell's fault)
- Scooter Libby's pardon (p. 408-10, one of the few things on which he disagreed with Bush)
- Abu Ghraib (p, 420-2; it was a few bad apples, not indicative of a rotten barrel)
-- Jesse Gordon, editor-in-chief, OnTheIssues.org, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, Sept. 2011
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Dick Cheney: Two DUI arrests, in 1962 & 1963.
Barack Obama: OpEd: North Korean behavior under Bush same as under Obama.
Dick Cheney: Effective diplomacy: stand with allies, & learn from history.
George W. Bush: 2001: Multilateral approach with China against North Korea.
Condoleezza Rice: Apologized for Bush claim of Niger uranium going to Saddam.
Dick Cheney: Spent 9-11 in the Presidential Emergency Operations Center.
Dick Cheney: Recommended Bush stay away from DC during 9-11.
Dick Cheney: 9-11: Authorized shootdown of non-responsive civilian planes.
Dick Cheney: 2002: Enhanced interrogation techniques worked.
Dick Cheney: 2002: CIA acted lawfully with enhanced interrogation.
Dick Cheney: The sixteen words were true; Saddam sought Niger uranium.
Dick Cheney: Effective nonproliferation policy holds rogues accountable.
John McCain: 2005: interrogations must follow US Army Field Manual rules.
Lindsey Graham: 2005: interrogations must follow US Army Field Manual rules.
Norm Mineta: 9-11: Ordered all planes out of the air.
Principles & Values|
Dick Cheney: Scooter Libby should have been pardoned, not just commuted.
War & Peace|
Bill Clinton: 1998: Signed Iraq Liberation Act calling for Saddam's ouster.
Dick Cheney: Prevent next 9-11 by going on offense in Afghanistan & Iraq.
Dick Cheney: 2000: UN & CIA concluded that Saddam had WMDs.
Dick Cheney: Post-9-11 no president could ignore reports of Saddam's WMDs.
Dick Cheney: Even with benefit of hindsight Saddam was nexus of terrorism.
Dick Cheney: We lost sight of goal of non-nuclear North Korea.
Dick Cheney: Should have destroyed North Korean nuclear reactor in Syria.
Joe Biden: 1998: only way to remove Saddam is massive military effort.
John Kerry: 1998: respond militarily to Saddam's threat of WMDs.
Nancy Pelosi: 1998: Saddam has engaged in development of WMDs.
The above quotations are from In My Time
A Personal and Political Memoir
by Dick Cheney with Liz Cheney.
Autobiographies for 2012 GOP primary candidates:
- No Apology, by Gov. Mitt Romney, Mar 2, 2010
- Real Change, by Speaker Newt Gingrich, Dec 18, 2007
- CEO of SELF, by Herman Cain, 2001
- Joe Biden: A Life of Trial and Redemption, by Jules Witcover, 2010
- Rick Santorum: A Senator Speaks Out on Life, Freedom, and Responsibility, 2005
- Michele Bachmann: Why She Will Win, by Ron Paul Jones, 2011
- A Mormon in the White House? 10 Things Every American Should Know about Mitt Romney, by Hugh Hewitt
- Mitt Romney: The Man, His Values and His Vision, by Lisa Ray Turner and Kimberly Field
- Deliver Us from Evil, by Sean Hannity
- Confidence Men, by Ron Suskind, 2011
- Core of Conviction, by Rep. Michele Bachmann, 2011
- It Takes a Family, by Sen. Rick Santorum, 2005
- On My Honor, by Gov. Rick Perry, 2008
- End The Fed, by Rep. Ron Paul, Sep 16, 2009
- Gold, Peace, and Prosperity: The Birth of a New Currency, by Ron Paul, 2007
- My Journey to the White House, by Herman Cain, 2011
Page last edited: Mar 30, 2012