Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harm’s Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
| A Life of Trial and Redemption
about V.P. Joe Biden (2010)
| No Apology
by Gov. Mitt Romney (2010)
| The Path to Prosperity
by Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
| Promises to Keep
by Vice Pres. Joe Biden (2007)
| The Audacity of Hope
by Pres. Barack Obama (2006)
| Dreams from My Father
by Pres. Barack Obama (1996)
| Young Guns
by Rep. Paul Ryan et al (2010)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Early 2000s Governor's State of the State speeches
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Governor's State of the State speeches, early 2000s (number of quotes indicated):
- Christie Todd Whitman (2) Cabinet-2005
- George Pataki (21) New York Republican presidential candidate
- Haley Barbour (4) Mississippi Former Republican Governor (2004-2012)
- Howard Dean (2) Democrat
- Jeb Bush (10) Florida Former FL Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- John Hoeven (1) North Dakota Former Republican Governor (2000-2010)
- Mel Carnahan (1) Democratic Senator (Former) Missouri
- Ronnie Musgrove (3) Mississippi Former Democratic Governor (2000-2003)
- Tim Kaine (2) Virginia Former Democrat Governor (2006-2009); chair of DNC
- Tommy Thompson (1) Cabinet-2005
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
George Pataki: Slash job-killing regulations & cut taxes too.
George Pataki: We cut taxes 81 times; cut taxes on businesses once again.
Haley Barbour: More state troopers; plus pay raises for state police.
George Pataki: People must be held accountable for their actions.
George Pataki: Abolished parole for violent felons.
George Pataki: Operation IMPACT: focus police in high crime upstate cities.
Haley Barbour: Reduced number of crystal methamphetamine labs.
John Hoeven: $4M to address meth and narcotics with more prisons.
Haley Barbour: More local control over schools.
Tim Kaine: Expand need-based financial aid & Tuition Assistance Grants.
George Pataki: Expand charter schools throughout the state.
Jeb Bush: A+ Plan: Make "F" schools disappear; make more "A" schools.
Jeb Bush: Push for gains among minority and disadvantaged students.
Jeb Bush: Social promotion doesn't do our kids any favors.
Christie Todd Whitman: Improve education with choice, charter schools, & character.
Energy & Oil|
Haley Barbour: Supports $1.3 billion coal gasification plant.
George Pataki: Reduce expensive, polluting, terror-promoting foreign oil.
George Pataki: Make renewable fuel tax-free, for mass transit & cars.
Tim Kaine: Invest in ongoing work to clean up rivers & Chesapeake Bay.
George Pataki: Preserve & enhance our natural treasures for future.
George Pataki: Majestic Hudson flows cleaner than it has in generations.
Christie Todd Whitman: Protect clean water via watershed management plans.
Families & Children|
George Pataki: Prevent release of sexual predators into our neighborhoods.
Jeb Bush: Increase KidCare; increase developmentally disabled services.
George Pataki: Invest in math & science innovation to compete with China.
George Pataki: Focus on in-sourcing foreign companies back to New York.
George Pataki: Governing philosophy: active but limited government.
George Pataki: Reform lobbying laws for more restrictions & disclosure.
Jeb Bush: Violent gun crime rate is down by more than 25%.
Mel Carnahan: Opposes absolute right to gun ownership.
George Pataki: Take decisions out of the hands of government bureaucrats.
Ronnie Musgrove: Protect Mississippi’s Health Care Trust Fund.
Ronnie Musgrove: Enrolled 50,000 in the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
Howard Dean: Universal access for all Vermonters; insure the last 6%.
Howard Dean: Keep “community rating”: insure older people at same rates.
Tommy Thompson: Supports prescription drug savings plan for poor seniors.
Jeb Bush: Threat from 9/11 is unprecedented for our generation.
Jeb Bush: $17M for new programs for terrorism response.
Ronnie Musgrove: Favors death penalty for terrorists.
Jeb Bush: Operation Paycheck: stimulus for 33,000 construction jobs.
George Pataki: Eliminate the marriage penalty & cut taxes.
George Pataki: Support Empire Innovation and Centers of Excellence.
George Pataki: Make NY the center for clean, renewable energy research.
George Pataki: Terrorism III package: cyber-terrorism and agri-terrorism.
Jeb Bush: $24M for X-ray truck inspection & bioterrorism labs.
Jeb Bush: $100M for Florida Technology Development Initiative.
War & Peace|
George Pataki: Honor soldiers destroying terrorist insurgency in Iraq.
The above quotations are from Early 2000s Governor's State of the State speeches.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: