Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
| A Life of Trial and Redemption
about V.P. Joe Biden (2010)
| No Apology
by Gov. Mitt Romney (2010)
| The Path to Prosperity
by Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
| Promises to Keep
by Vice Pres. Joe Biden (2007)
| The Audacity of Hope
by Pres. Barack Obama (2006)
| Dreams from My Father
by Pres. Barack Obama (1996)
| Young Guns
by Rep. Paul Ryan et al (2010)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2009 Governor's State of the State speeches
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2009 Governor's State of the State speeches (number of quotes indicated):
- Arnold Schwarzenegger (2) California Former Republican Governor (2003-2010)
- Bill Richardson (3) New Mexico Former Democratic Governor (2002-2010) and Cabinet Sec'y
- Bobby Jindal (6) Louisiana Republican Presidential candidate
- Brad Henry (4) Oklahoma Previously Democratic Governor
- David Paterson (11) New York Former Democratic Governor (2008-2010)
- Deval Patrick (6) Massachusetts Democratic Governor
- Janet Napolitano (8) Cabinet
- Jodi Rell (3) Connecticut Former Republican
- Jon Huntsman (6) Utah Former GOP Governor (2005-2009); Ambassador to China
- Rick Perry (6) Texas Republican Presidential candidate
- Sarah Palin (9) Alaska Former Governor (resigned 2009); V.P. nominee (2008)
- Tim Kaine (12) Virginia Former Democrat Governor (2006-2009); chair of DNC
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Jodi Rell: CT leads in bioscience revolution & stem cell research.
Budget & Economy|
Brad Henry: Surgical budget cuts to close $600M budget hole.
Sarah Palin: Restraint of last two years should continue in tough times.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: Declaring fiscal emergency; facing insolvency within weeks.
Tim Kaine: Cabinet Community Days: we see people worried but hopeful.
Janet Napolitano: Balance budget even during recession.
Jodi Rell: Financial crisis came from unbridled greed & lax oversight.
Deval Patrick: We're broke, not poor: recession is temporary.
Deval Patrick: $1.1 in cuts in services this year, including many layoffs.
David Paterson: Teach tolerance, including sexual orientation.
Tim Kaine: Release non-violent inmates 90 days early.
Tim Kaine: Smart sentencing: reduce number of "technical violations".
Bobby Jindal: Increase penalties on child predators and sex offenders.
David Paterson: Intelligence-driven, state-of-the-art crime analysis centers.
Deval Patrick: Misuse of CORI system prevents getting back on their feet.
David Paterson: Rockefeller Drug Laws have failed badly.
Jon Huntsman: UCAT system: technical college for industry needs.
Jon Huntsman: Early learning is critical; so are languages & math.
Rick Perry: Best teachers, accountability, math & science prep.
Sarah Palin: 3-year plan: $1B for early learning, vo-tech, accountability.
Tim Kaine: Increase K-12 school funds despite 3 rounds of budget cuts.
Tim Kaine: No mid-year tuition increases at state college, despite cuts.
Janet Napolitano: Added voluntary full-day kindergarten as a new grade level.
Janet Napolitano: Implement school choice via public charter schools.
Bobby Jindal: Increase completion rate above 6% for GED-OPTIONS program.
Bobby Jindal: Performance-based funding for schools to meet industry needs.
David Paterson: SAY YES program: public-private partnerships for college.
Energy & Oil|
Jon Huntsman: Make Utah the premier destination for renewable energy.
Rick Perry: $5,000 incentive for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles.
Sarah Palin: Sues federal EPA for misusing Endangered Species Act.
Sarah Palin: Goal of 50% of Alaska electric power from renewable sources.
Bill Richardson: Start carbon trading in 11-state Western Climate region.
Tim Kaine: Major attention on creating green jobs.
Tim Kaine: Reduce electricity consumption by 19% by 2025.
Tim Kaine: Nuclear reactors will be key to America's energy future.
David Paterson: 45 by 15: 45% clean electricity by 2015.
Jodi Rell: Energy and heating assistance for families in need.
Bill Richardson: Green Jobs Cabinet: build aggressive clean energy strategy.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: Last year set record of 2014 wildfires burning at one time.
Janet Napolitano: Limit our greenhouse gas emissions & focus on solar energy.
Families & Children|
Brad Henry: Family anchors us and reminds us of what is truly important.
Sarah Palin: Caring for special needs kids is part of culture of life.
Bobby Jindal: Increase scrutiny & penalties for school child abuse.
Sarah Palin: Establish viable commercial fisheries in international seas.
Brad Henry: Extend early voting to a full week prior to Election Day.
Rick Perry: Control spending to make government less burdensome.
Sarah Palin: Overall reduction of 7% spending, plus state hiring freeze.
Janet Napolitano: We'll be remembered for what we did, not for how we budgeted.
Jon Huntsman: Truly affordable insurance: pathway to coverage for everyone.
Sarah Palin: Greater competition, more choices, and less litigation.
Sarah Palin: Health Care Commission recommends habits against obesity.
Tim Kaine: Invest in community-based mental health care.
Tim Kaine: Expand pre-natal care to reduce infant mortality rate.
Janet Napolitano: Expanded access to KidsCare and AHCCCS.
Bobby Jindal: Move away from ER to primary care; cover 100,000 uninsured.
David Paterson: Cover an additional 400,000 New Yorkers.
David Paterson: Address epidemic of childhood obesity.
Deval Patrick: 98% of all Massachusetts citizens now have health insurance.
Rick Perry: End the notion of sanctuary cities.
Janet Napolitano: Keep up intense pressure on border criminals.
Rick Perry: 70% of all jobs created in the US last year were in Texas.
David Paterson: Expect 225,000 New Yorkers to be laid off in this recession.
Jon Huntsman: Designate I-15 from ID to AZ as natural gas corridor.
Principles & Values|
Jon Huntsman: Reach beyond traditional political boundaries for solutions.
Rick Perry: Give taxes dose of accountability, transparency & restraint.
Tim Kaine: Replace income tax for low-income with cigarette tax.
David Paterson: Property taxes are too high; cap them.
Deval Patrick: Let municipalities raise property, meals, and lodging taxes.
Brad Henry: EDGE Endowment: make OK into Research Capital of the Plains.
Bill Richardson: Launched Spaceport America; signed Virgin Galactic as tenant.
Tim Kaine: Long-term commitment to six year infrastructure plan.
Janet Napolitano: Invest in infrastructure: highways and school buildings.
Bobby Jindal: Criminalize use of internet routers & wi-fi for child porn.
David Paterson: Build a 21st century infrastructure, including bridges & MTA.
Deval Patrick: Invest in broadband, wind turbines, roads & rails.
Welfare & Poverty|
David Paterson: Partner with non-profit sector to recruit more volunteers.
The above quotations are from 2009 Governor's State of the State speeches.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: