2008 Iowa Senate Debate between Tom Harkin & Christopher Reed
Joint appearance at State Fair,
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2008 Iowa Senate Debate between Tom Harkin & Christopher Reed (number of quotes indicated):
- Christopher Reed (13)
- Tom Harkin (2)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
reported in Des Moines Globe Gazette,
Aug. 13, 2008
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Christopher Reed: Very pro-life; no abortion under any circumstances.
Christopher Reed: Define marriage as one man and one woman only.
Christopher Reed: Donít-ask-donít-tell caused disruption in military.
Energy & Oil|
Christopher Reed: Drill for more American oil to reduce gas prices.
Tom Harkin: Develop cellulosic ethanol, wind, and solar.
Christopher Reed: Washington is broken & canít be fixed by European socialism.
Christopher Reed: First cut waste, fraud, & abuse in Medicare/Medicaid.
Christopher Reed: Let younger workers opt out.
Tom Harkin: Privatization failed before we had Social Security.
Christopher Reed: Honor promises, but chance to opt out of Social Security.
Christopher Reed: Establishing Social Security was possibly a mistake.
Christopher Reed: Lower taxes means increased revenue, via the Laffer curve.
War & Peace|
Christopher Reed: Support the surge; wants more positive news coverage.
Christopher Reed: No timetable for exit; stay until Al Qaeda is quelled.
Christopher Reed: Saddam was a madman who had WMDs and used them.
The above quotations are from 2008 Iowa Senate Debate between Tom Harkin & Christopher Reed.
Other 2008 Senate debates:
- Interviews with Senate candidates (OnTheIssues SenateMatch series)
- Senior Citizens League Guide (Senate questionnaire on retirement topics)
- Scientists and Engineers for America Guide (Senate questionnaire on science & technology topics)
- Business Industry Political Action Committee (Senate questionnaire on business topics)
- Political Courage Test (Senate questionnaire on general topics)
- Citizens for Global Solutions (Senate questionnaire on international topics)
- This Is Not Florida How Al Franken Won the Minnesota Senate Recount,by Jay Weiner
- The Truth (With Jokes), by Al Franken (2006)
- AK: Sen. Ted Stevens (R, incumbent) vs. Mayor Mark Begich (D)
- AL: Sen. Jeff Sessions (R, incumbent) vs. State Sen. Vivian Figures (D)
- CO: Rep. Mark Udall (D) vs. Rep. Bob Schaeffer (R)
- GA: Georgia Democratic primary debate
- IA: Sen. Tom Harkin (D, incumbent) vs. Christopher Reed (R)
- ID: Gov. Jim Risch (R) vs. Rep. Larry LaRocco (D) vs. Rex Rammell (I)
- IL: Sen. Dick Durbin (D, incumbent) vs. Dr. Steven Sauerberg (R)
- KS: Sen. Pat Roberts (R, incumbent) vs. Rep. Jim Slattery (D)
- KY: Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, incumbent) vs. Bruce Lunsford (D)
- LA: Sen. Mary Landrieu (D, incumbent) vs. John Neely Kennedy (R)
- MA: Sen. John Kerry (D, incumbent) vs. Jeff Beatty (R)
- ME: Sen. Susan Collins (R, incumbent) vs. Rep. Tom Allen (D)
- MN: Sen. Norm Coleman (R, incumbent) vs. Al Franken (D) & Sen. Dean Barkley (I)
- MS: Sen. Roger Wicker (R, incumbent) vs. Gov. Ronnie Musgrove (D)
- NC: Sen. Liddy Dole (R) vs. State Sen. Kay Hagan (D)
- NE: Gov. Mike Johanns (R) vs. Scott Kleeb (D)
- NE: Nebraska's Brand of Change, by Scott Kleeb
- NH: Sen. John Sununu (R, incumbent) vs. Gov. Jeanne Shaheen
- NJ: Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D, incumbent) vs. Rep. Dick Zimmer (R)
- NM: Rep. Steve Pearce (R) vs. Rep. Tom Udall (D)
- OK: Sen. Jim Inhofe (R, incumbent) vs. State Sen. Andrew Rice (D)
- OR: Sen. Gordon Smith (R, incumbent) vs. State Rep. Jeff Merkley (D)
- SD: Sen. Tim Johnson (D, incumbent) vs. Joel Dykstra (R)
- TX: Sen. Jon Cornyn (R, incumbent) vs. Rick Noriega (D)
- VA: Gov. Jim Gilmore (R) and vs. Gov. Mark Warner (D)