The Clinton-Bush-Perot Presidential Debates, Oct. 1992
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Clinton-Bush-Perot Presidential Debates (number of quotes indicated):
- Bill Clinton (14)
- George Bush Sr. (20)
- Milton Friedman (1)
- Ross Perot (13)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Excerpts from the 1992 presidential debates between Vice President George H. Bush, Governor Bill Clinton, and Ross Perot:
- October 11, 1992: in St. Louis
- October 15, 1992: at the University of Richmond
- October 19, 1992: in East Lansing, Michigan
Other historical debate series:
- Kennedy vs. Nixon, 1960
- Carter vs. Ford, 1976
- Reagan vs. Carter, 1980
Historical transcripts from the American Presidency Project
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Bill Clinton: Cut defense & ask wealthy Americans to pay their share.
George Bush Sr.: Trickle down government doesn't create jobs.
Ross Perot: Will balance budget in six years by adding jobs.
Bill Clinton: People of all races are equal in the eyes of God.
George Bush Sr.: Habeas corpus reform, so you don't have endless appeals.
Ross Perot: We have become preoccupied with the rights of the criminal.
Bill Clinton: My brother would not be alive today if drugs were legal.
George Bush Sr.: I don't believe legalizing narcotics is the answer.
Milton Friedman: Legalization resolves drug-related crimes.
George Bush Sr.: America 2000: choice of public, private, or religious school.
Energy & Oil|
Ross Perot: Raise gas taxes 10 cents a year for 5 years.
Bill Clinton: Increase fuel efficiency from 27 mpg to 40 mpg.
George Bush Sr.: Onerous environmental regulation will cause job loss.
Families & Children|
George Bush Sr.: Get deadbeat dads to pay up, to help single moms.
Bill Clinton: Should not have tried to reason with Saddam the tyrant.
George Bush Sr.: Built consensus with UN to move against Saddam Hussein.
Ross Perot: Gulf War did not achieve its objectives.
Bill Clinton: End of Cold War brings incredible opportunity for change.
George Bush Sr.: Since I became President, 43 countries have gone democratic.
Bill Clinton: Don't coddle tyrants in China; they respond when we stand up.
Ross Perot: Help former USSR: pennies on the dollar compared to cold war.
Ross Perot: Time is on our side in China; many leaders are very old.
Bill Clinton: For NAFTA with enforcement and job training.
George Bush Sr.: For NAFTA because exports critical to economy.
Ross Perot: NAFTA means a giant sucking sound as jobs are lost.
Ross Perot: Bad trade deals come from Washington insiders cashing in.
Bill Clinton: Opposes Congressional term limits; bad for smaller states.
George Bush Sr.: Wants line item veto & individual taxpayer deficit sequester.
George Bush Sr.: Limit Congressional terms to 12 years.
Ross Perot: I have no experience with gridlock; only getting things done.
Bill Clinton: National system to check criminal history for gun purchase.
Bill Clinton: Managed competition, not socialized medicine.
George Bush Sr.: We are taking action on AIDS, despite complaints.
George Bush Sr.: Frivolous lawsuits run up medical costs by $25 billion.
George Bush Sr.: Important to maintain 150,000 US troops in Europe.
Ross Perot: We can only be a superpower if we are an economic superpower.
George Bush Sr.: Just a scare tactic that jobs move south due to lower wages.
George Bush Sr.: Agenda for American Renewal: jobs program fro small business.
Principles & Values|
Ross Perot: Pledge to focus on the issues, without spin doctors.
Bill Clinton: Time for a change from the last 12 years.
Ross Perot: Invest Trust Fund surplus like a pension fund.
George Bush Sr.: Don't mess with Social Security.
Bill Clinton: Raise taxes on income over $200K; reduce taxes under $60K.
George Bush Sr.: $150B for transportation infrastructure; a good beginning.
War & Peace|
Bill Clinton: No troops to Bosnia, but no-fly zone & blockade.
George Bush Sr.: No troops in Bosnia, because we haven't defined mission.
Ross Perot: No troops to Bosnia until America is more committed.
Welfare & Poverty|
George Bush Sr.: Create enterprise zones, but not via tax increases.
The above quotations are from The Clinton-Bush-Perot Presidential Debates, Oct. 1992.
Biographies of past presidents:
- President George W. Bush
- Decision Points, by George W. Bush
- A Charge to Keep, by George W. Bush
- President Bill Clinton
- Back to Work, by Pres. Bill Clinton
- The Agenda, by Bob Woodward
- President George H. W. Bush
- All the Best, My Life in Letters, by George Bush Sr.
- The Family, (the Bushes) by Kitty Kelley
- William & Mary Environmental Law Review, by Cameron Lynch
- President Ronald Reagan
- Dutch, a Memoir of Ronald Reagan, by Edmund Morris
- Abortion and the Conscience of a Nation, by Pres. Ronald Reagan
- President Jimmy Carter
- An Hour Before Daylight, by Jimmy Carter
- Jimmy Who?: biography of Jimmy Carter
- President Gerald Ford
- Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate,by Bob Woodward
- A Time to Heal: The Autobiography of Gerald R. Ford
- President Richard Nixon
- Seize the Moment, by Richard Nixon
- The Watergate Transcripts, by The Washington Post
- President Lyndon Johnson
- The Passage of Power, by Robert Caro
- Taking Charge: The Johnson White House Tapes, by Michael Beschloss
- President John F. Kennedy
- Profiles In Courage, by John F. Kennedy
- A Nation of Immigrants, by John F. Kennedy
- Kennedy & Nixon, by Chris Matthews
- 1000 Days, by Arthur Schlesinger
- President Dwight Eisenhower
- Waging Peace, by Dwight Eisenhower
- Ike and Dick, by Jeffrey Frank
- President Harry Truman
- Plain Speaking, by Merle Miller
- Wit & Wisdom of Harry Truman, by Ralph Keyes