Cameron Lynch in W&M Env. Law Review, vol. 26 #1
William and Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review, 2001 edition, article #9:
"Environmental Awareness and the New Republican Party: The Re-Greening of the GOP?"
by C. M. Cameron Lynch
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Energy & Oil|
George Bush Sr.: Took no stance nor action on global climate change.
Christie Todd Whitman: Relaxed standard for arsenic in public drinking water.
Christie Todd Whitman: 1990s: $10M for Sterling Forest; 1M acres of open space.
Christie Todd Whitman: 1990s: Cut NJ DEP; limited pollution monitoring.
George Bush Sr.: Protect natural resources as hunter & outdoorsman.
George Bush Sr.: 1988: Cited Gov. Dukakis' failure to clean up Boston Harbor.
George Bush Sr.: 1991: Rejected requiring 25% recycling of incinerator waste.
George W. Bush: 1999: Modernize model of "mandate, regulate and litigate".
George W. Bush: 1999: Superfund cleanup is inefficient and cumbersome.
Gerald Ford: Made EPA more efficient, but mostly neglected it for economy.
Gerald Ford: Relaxed regulations of strip mining.
Jimmy Carter: Strengthened role & perception of the EPA.
Richard Nixon: 1969: Halt all dumping in the Great Lakes.
Richard Nixon: 1970: Created cabinet-level Council on Environmental Quality.
Richard Nixon: 1970-72: Created EPA which passed Clean Air Act.
Ronald Reagan: 1983: Mass resignation of EPA officials.
The above quotations are from Cameron Lynch in W&M Env. Law Review, vol. 26 #1.
Biographies of past presidents:
- President George W. Bush
- The Faith of George W. Bush, by Stephen Mansfield
- Decision Points, by George W. Bush
- The Blair Years, by Alistair Campbell
- A Charge to Keep, by George W. Bush
- President Bill Clinton
- Behind the Oval Office, by Dick Morris
- Back to Work, by Pres. Bill Clinton
- The Agenda, by Bob Woodward
- State of the Union, "Report Card" on Bill Clinton
- President George H. W. Bush
- All the Best, My Life in Letters, by George Bush Sr.
- The Family, (the Bushes) by Kitty Kelley
- President Ronald Reagan
- Dutch, a Memoir of Ronald Reagan, by Edmund Morris
- President Jimmy Carter
- An Hour Before Daylight, by Jimmy Carter
- Jimmy Who?: biography of Jimmy Carter
- President Gerald Ford
- Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate,by Bob Woodward
- President Richard Nixon
- The Real War, by Richard Nixon
- Seize the Moment, by Richard Nixon
- Nixon's Ten Commandments of Statecraft, by James Humes
- The Watergate Transcripts, by The Washington Post
- President Lyndon Johnson
- The Passage of Power, by Robert Caro
- The Lyndon Johnson Story, by Booth Mooney
- Tragedy of Lyndon Johnson, by Eric F. Goldman
- A Very Human President (LBJ biography), by Jack Valenti
- Taking Charge: The Johnson White House Tapes, by Michael Beschloss
- President John F. Kennedy
- Profiles In Courage, by John F. Kennedy
- The Rivalry that Shaped Postwar America, by Chris Matthews
- Kennedy, the Classic Biography, by Ted Sorensen
- A Question of Character, A life of JFK, by Thomas Reeves
- A Nation of Immigrants, by John F. Kennedy
- William & Mary Environmental Law Review, by Cameron Lynch