A Question of Character
A Life of John F. Kennedy
by Thomas Reeves
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 20 full quotes from John F. Kennedy in the book A Question of Character, by Thomas Reeves.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Encouraged federal offices to hire blacks.
Push to register black voters to help Democrats in 1964.
Threat of price-fixing probe got Big Steel to lower prices.
1950s: Supported federal aid to parochial schools.
1960s: hasten school desegregation; integrate public places.
Immunized himself from suspicion of being "soft on Reds".
Food for Peace: $1.5B shipments annually.
Peace Corps: highest response to "ask not" request.
Alliance for Progress: $500M for Latin American cooperation.
Increase military spending to fight domino effect in SE Asia.
Bay of Pigs intended to liberate Cuba; ended as fiasco.
1963: Test Ban Treaty: no nukes in space nor oceans.
1950s: Voted for liberalized immigration laws.
Got union to lower wages; got Big Steel to lower prices.
Principles & Values|
Ambassador father pushed JFK into politics.
OpEd: 1952: wins Senate seat with dazzle but not substance.
1960: Give direction to our traditional moral purpose.
Won 1960 election over Nixon by only 0.1%.
1962: Increased minimum wage and Social Security benefits.
Welfare & Poverty|
Area Development Act: public works in low economic areas.
The above quotations are from A Question of Character
A Life of John F. Kennedy
by Thomas Reeves.
Biographies of past presidents:
- President George W. Bush
- The Faith of George W. Bush, by Stephen Mansfield
- Decision Points, by George W. Bush
- President Bill Clinton
- Back to Work, by Pres. Bill Clinton
- The Agenda, by Bob Woodward
- State of the Uion, "Report Card" on Bill Clinton
- President George H. W. Bush
- All the Best, My Life in Letters, by George Bush Sr.
- The Family, (the Bushes) by Kitty Kelley
- President Ronald Reagan
- Dutch, a Memoir of Ronald Reagan, by Edmund Morris
- President Jimmy Carter
- An Hour Before Daylight, by Jimmy Carter
- Jimmy Who?: biography of Jimmy Carter
- President Gerald Ford
- Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate,by Bob Woodward
- President Richard Nixon
- The Real War, by Richard Nixon
- Seize the Moment, by Richard Nixon
- Nixon's Ten Commandments of Statecraft, by James Humes
- President Lyndon Johnson
- The Lyndon Johnson Story, by Booth Mooney
- Tragedy of Lyndon Johnson, by Eric F. Goldman
- A Very Human President (LBJ biography), by Jack Valenti
- President John F. Kennedy
- Kennedy, the Classic Biography, by Ted Sorensen
- A Question of Character, A life of JFK, by Thomas Reeves
- A Nation of Immigrants, by John F. Kennedy
- William & Mary Environmental Law Review, by Cameron Lynch