This page contains Congressional resolutions.
Resolutions indicate the topics that legislators care about, but cannot legislate about.
Resolution: the Senate New Democrat Coalition Press Release:
Source: Senate New Democrat Coalition Press Release
The Public Education Reinvestment, Reinvention and Responsibility Act (Three R's) [is] the common ground from which bipartisan compromise on education reform will be successfully achieved. The Three R�s would provide public schools with significantly increased funding and flexibility, increasing federal investment in education by $35 billion over the next 5 years, and targeting most of those new dollars toward closing the persistent achievement gap between poor and more affluent students. State & local officials would be given broader latitude to decide how to allocate federal funding in order to meet the specific needs of their communities. In return, states would be required to set standards for raising academic achievement, and improve the quality of their teachers.
The �Three R�s� bill is based on the policy recommendations by the Progressive Policy Institute:
- Streamline our national education priorities into five goal-oriented titles, focused on:
- closing the
achievement gap between poor and more affluent children;
- helping to improve teacher quality;
- helping immigrant students master English and meet high standards in all subjects;
- promoting public school choice; and
- stimulating innovative local initiatives
- Create a tough new accountability system that pegs program funding to academic performance standards set by the states, and require �report cards� so that parents know how their school is performing;
- Reward states that exceed their standards with more flexibility and bonus funding, and for the first time ever, sanction those states that chronically fail to show improvements, by cutting administrative funds;
- Increase funding for disadvantaged students by 50%;
- Increase funding for teacher and principal professional development by more than 100%;
- Increase funding for immigrant students by $1 billion annually to improve English proficiency;
- Continue to reduce class size in the early grades.
- Topic: Education
- Headline: Three R�s: $35B for Reinvestment,Reinvention,Responsibility
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 01-SNDC5
participating in 01-SNDC5
||s1o||OK 2004 former Democratic challenger; US Representative|| |
||s1w||CT Independent Sr Senator; Gore's VP nominee (Retiring)|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: