Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 California Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 CA Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Antonio Villaraigosa (8) California Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- David Hadley (1) California Republican candidate for Governor
- Delaine Eastin (12) California Democratic candidate for Governor
- Doug Ose (1) California Republican candidate for Governor
- Gavin Newsom (20) California Democratic Challenger
- Gloria La Riva (1) California Party for Socialism and Liberation
- Jerry Brown (1) California Democratic Governor
- John Chiang (8) California Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- John Cox (5) California Republican candidate for California Governor
- Kevin de Leon (1) Democratic candidate for California U.S. Senator California
- Steve Farley (4) Arizona Democratic candidate for Arizona Governor
- Travis Allen (11) California Republican candidate for California Governor
- Zoltan Istvan (1) California Transhumanist Party nominee for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
California 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- Politico.com, "Newsom takes aim: GOP destined for 'waste bin of history'," by J.Schatz & C.Marinucci, 6/17/2019
- Fox News, "California Gov. Newsom offers rare praise for Trump," by Andrew O'Reilly, 3/20/2019
- CBS News, "Newsom to pull back National Guard from border," February 11, 2019
- San Francisco Chronicle, “Newsom catches it from all sides in debate,” by Joe Garofoli and John Wildermuth, 5/8/18
- The Independent Voter Project (IVP), "Voter Guide governor candidate statements," 3/20/18
- Sacramento Bee, “Former Republican congressman--and big Trump backer--moves to replace Jerry Brown,”, by Christopher Cadelago, Jan.5, 2018
- Turlock Journal, "Gubernatorial candidate touts education platform at Stan State," by Eric Escalante, Nov. 17, 2017
- L.A. Times, "Villaraigosa hopes to increase voter turnout in Latino community," by Michael Livingston, Nov. 16, 2017
- The Press Democrat, "Treasurer proposes banking strategies for cannabis industry," by Julie Johnson, Nov. 7, 2017
- Los Angeles Times, "Cox calls for repeal of California's Environmental Quality Act," by Seema Mehta, Nov. 2, 2017
- Los Angeles Times, "Eastin says Dreamers trusted us with their lives," by Phil Willon, Sept. 5, 2017
- NBC News, "Could John Chiang Be California's First Asian-American Governor?," by Traci G. Lee, Aug 23 2017
- The Ceres Courier, "Newsom brings gubernatorial campaign to area," by Jeff Benziger, August 2, 2017
- The Union, "Newsom feels spreading the wealth is a basic belief," by Thomas D. Elias, July 31, 2017
- The Sacramento Bee, "Affirmative action divided California Democrats," by Christopher Cadelago, July 27, 2017
- Modesto Bee, "Newsom talks health care & taxes in Salida," by John Holland, July 26, 2017
- Voice of San Diego, "Stops and Starts for Police Accountability Measures," by Sara Libby, July 14, 2017
- Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, "Chiang promises frugality," by Beau Yarbrough, July 13, 2017
- Los Angeles Times, “Former Republican assemblyman joins race to be California's next governor,” by Seema Mehta, Jul 05, 2017
- Los Angeles Times, "Newsom blasts NRA recruitment video," by Seema Mehta, June 30, 2017
- Orange County Register, "Chiang talks Senate health care bill, education," by Brian Whitehead, June 23, 2017
- Los Angeles Times, "Travis Allen, conservative and controversial Orange County lawmaker," by Phil Willon, June 22, 2017
- The Press Democrat, "Newsom touts California's green economy," by Martin Espinoza, June 10, 2017
- GlobalNewsWride.com, "CalSTRS Takes Action to Divest of All Non-U.S. Thermal Coal Holdings," June 8, 2017
- Los Angeles Times, "California could be a 'sanctuary state' from federal pot laws," by Patrick McGreevy, June 1, 2017
- U.S. News & World Report, "Candidates Back Criminal Justice Reforms," by Jonathan J. Cooper, April 4, 2017
- The Sacramento Bee, "Candidates share views on criminal justice changes," by Christopher Cadelago, April 04, 2017
- San Francisco Chronicle (SFgate.com), "Vote to block Planned Parenthood money", March 30, 2017
- Ukiah Daily Journal, "Eastin talks issues in Ukiah," by John Winters, 3/7/17
- Los Angeles Times, "Newsom asks for cooperation on marijuana regulation," by Patrick McGreevy, Feb. 24, 2017
- Sacramento Bee, "Capitol Alert," by Christopher Cadelago, Feb. 1, 2017
- Sacramento Bee, "Antonio Villaraigosa talks about inequality and Mexican heritage," by Christopher Cadelago, Feb. 1, 2017
- Billboard magazine, "The Reefer Revolution: Gavin Newsom Explains Passing Prop 64," by K.M. McFarland, Jan. 19, 2017
- Sacramento Bee, "California should not be a Scrooge when it comes to educating", by Delaine Eastin, December 22, 2016
- L.A. Times, "Villaraigosa endorses marijuana legalization initiative," by Patrick McGreevy, Oct. 31, 2016
- California Family Council, "Assembly Passes Resolution Honoring Abortion," January 20, 2016
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Gavin Newsom: Opposes defunding Planned Parenthood.
Travis Allen: Skipped vote on resolution for abortion rights.
Budget & Economy|
Delaine Eastin: Build an economy that works for everyone.
Gavin Newsom: Government has role in economic growth.
Gavin Newsom: Supports affirmative action.
John Chiang: Outspoken in support of gay rights.
Delaine Eastin: Protect equal rights for all.
Steve Farley: Race should be a consideration, not only one.
Gavin Newsom: Early supporter for gay marriage.
John Chiang: Supports affirmative action.
Delaine Eastin: Change corporate tax structure to fund education.
Gloria La Riva: Corporations, banks and the Pentagon dominate society.
Travis Allen: Private business should take over public rest stops.
Gavin Newsom: Death penalty is ineffective, irreversible and immoral.
Gavin Newsom: 2016: Respect state referendum on death penalty; 2019: Don't.
Doug Ose: Everywhere I see uncontrolled homelessness & nagging crime.
Delaine Eastin: Manage crime with improved education.
Travis Allen: Protect victims, not criminals.
Gavin Newsom: Criminal justice reform is crucial; repeal death penalty.
John Chiang: Education & anti-poverty to fight crime.
John Chiang: Set up state bank for pot industry.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Supports marijuana legalization.
Delaine Eastin: Supports legalization, but would tax more.
Gavin Newsom: Let California legalization continue.
Steve Farley: Making marijuana business legitimate.
Travis Allen: Opposed pot law barring state cooperation with Feds.
Gavin Newsom: Pushed Proposition 64, legalizing adult use of marijuana.
Gavin Newsom: I'm not pro-pot, but anti-prohibition; opposed 2010 Prop 19.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Pro-legalization with safeguards.
Travis Allen: Parental control, not bureaucrats.
Steve Farley: Need to rebuild educational system.
Delaine Eastin: Parental choice but no vouchers.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Stop making excuses for lack of success in schools.
Delaine Eastin: In 1960s we invested in community colleges.
Delaine Eastin: Expand "First 5" to include mandatory kindergarten.
Energy & Oil|
Delaine Eastin: Fight climate change, protect natural resources.
Gavin Newsom: California leads the way on green energy.
Steve Farley: Coal is the fuel of the past.
Delaine Eastin: Don't give up on a clean environment; not on my watch.
John Cox: Environmental regs crush business.
Gavin Newsom: Pro-active on energy and resource management.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Modernize CEQA to allow new construction projects.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Increase voter turnout among Latinos & all demographics.
Travis Allen: Sponsored voter ID law.
Gavin Newsom: Supports background checks.
Travis Allen: Gun laws hurt the innocent.
Delaine Eastin: Provide universal healthcare for all.
Gavin Newsom: Supports HealthySF: available to all uninsured residents.
John Chiang: Fix Obamacare instead of repeal.
Gavin Newsom: Don't gut programs to pay for military buildup.
Gavin Newsom: National Guard for crime on border, not immigration.
Jerry Brown: National Guard for crime on border, not immigration.
Gavin Newsom: Border wall is just rhetoric; celebrate diversity.
John Cox: Border wall needs to be built, to keep out MS-13.
John Cox: Sanctuary State law puts our families at risk.
Delaine Eastin: Supports Dreamers against deportation.
Travis Allen: Sanctuary cities protect criminals.
Gavin Newsom: Sanctuary cities build trust.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Latino heritage is part of our American heritage.
John Chiang: Muslim immigration ban forsakes American values.
John Chiang: Chinese Exclusion Act wrong then; Muslim exclusion wrong now.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Union organizer but disagrees with teachers unions.
Principles & Values|
David Hadley: Social moderate and fiscal conservative.
Zoltan Istvan: I'm pro-choice, pro-small business, and secular.
Gavin Newsom: Strict separation of church and state.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Safeguard the hard-earned pensions of employees.
John Cox: Roll back tide of tax increases & job killing regulations.
Travis Allen: California must cut taxes.
Gavin Newsom: Supports tax hikes for public good.
John Chiang: More private money for high-speed rail project.
John Cox: High-speed rail project is corrupt; ax it.
Travis Allen: High-speed rail project is corrupt; ax it.
Kevin de Leon: Preserve net neutrality in California, if Feds won't.
Travis Allen: Fix roads with existing funds, not new taxes.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Antonio Villaraigosa California Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- David Hadley California Republican candidate for Governor
- Delaine Eastin California Democratic candidate for Governor
- Doug Ose California Republican candidate for Governor
- Gavin Newsom California Democratic Challenger
- Gloria La Riva California Party for Socialism and Liberation
- Jerry Brown California Democratic Governor
- John Chiang California Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- John Cox California Republican candidate for California Governor
- Kevin de Leon Democratic candidate for California U.S. Senator California
- Steve Farley Arizona Democratic candidate for Arizona Governor
- Travis Allen California Republican candidate for California Governor
- Zoltan Istvan California Transhumanist Party nominee for Governor
The above quotations are from 2018 California Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)