Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2004 Gubernatorial National Political Awareness Test, by Project Vote Smart
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2004 National Political Awareness Test (number of quotes indicated):
- Bob Kelleher (6) Republican challenger (2008) Montana
- Brian Schweitzer (7) Montana Previously Democratic Governor
- Carl Sheeler (12) Democratic Challenger (2006) Rhode Island
- Gretchen Whitmer (1) Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
- Joe Carraro (11) Former Republican Challenger (2006) New Mexico
- John Hoeven (8) North Dakota Former Republican Governor (2000-2010)
- Ruth Ann Minner (10) Delaware Former Democrat Governor (retired 2008)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Carl Sheeler: Roe v. Wade has been decided; keep abortion legal.
Joe Carraro: Abortion ok only for rape & health, and no public funding.
Bob Kelleher: Abortions should always be illegal, including funding.
John Hoeven: Abortions only for incest, rape, or maternal life.
Ruth Ann Minner: Abortions should always be legal; cloning only sometimes.
Carl Sheeler: Recognize civil unions; supports same-sex marriage.
Carl Sheeler: Women & minorities are underrepresented in business.
Joe Carraro: No civil unions, and no same-sex marriage.
Joe Carraro: No affirmative action in state college nor state hiring.
John Hoeven: No civil unions; restrict marriages to one-man-one-woman.
Ruth Ann Minner: Civil unions yes; marriage no.
Ruth Ann Minner: Recruit minorities for state hiring, but no quotas.
Carl Sheeler: End parole for repeat violent offenders.
Joe Carraro: Supports the death penalty.
Joe Carraro: No parole for repeat violent offenders; plus more prisons.
Bob Kelleher: Alternative sentencing for non-violent offenders.
Brian Schweitzer: Supports the death penalty.
Brian Schweitzer: End parole for repeat violent offenders.
John Hoeven: More prisons; less parole.
Ruth Ann Minner: Supports the death penalty.
Ruth Ann Minner: Build more prisons; end parole for violent criminals.
Carl Sheeler: Decriminalize marijuana possession.
Joe Carraro: Decriminalize marijuana, and allow doctors to prescribe it.
Brian Schweitzer: Stricter penalties for drug criminals.
Carl Sheeler: Educate children about sex rather than moralizing.
Joe Carraro: Supports vouchers for public, private, and religious schools.
Joe Carraro: Supports voluntary prayer in public schools.
Bob Kelleher: Supports voluntary prayer in public schools.
Bob Kelleher: State-funded vouchers for private or religious school.
Brian Schweitzer: Invest in K-12 by creating public-private partnerships.
Ruth Ann Minner: Include abstinence AND contraception in sex ed.
Ruth Ann Minner: More funding for teachers & school infrastructure.
Energy & Oil|
Carl Sheeler: Begin with environment friendly public transportation.
Joe Carraro: More funds for alternative fuel AND for traditional sources.
Bob Kelleher: Use coal, oil & gas in an environmental manner.
Brian Schweitzer: Develop renewable energy: ethanol, wind and hydrogen.
John Hoeven: More alternative fuel & more traditional fuel too.
Carl Sheeler: Term limits for governor but not for legislature.
Carl Sheeler: Limit PAC, corporate, and individual campaign contributions.
Joe Carraro: Some campaign donation limits, plus spending limits.
Bob Kelleher: Limit all types of political contributions, and spending.
Brian Schweitzer: Refuses special interest & PAC money for his campaign.
John Hoeven: No term limits for North Dakota legislators.
John Hoeven: Limit campaign contributions, but no spending limits.
Ruth Ann Minner: Donation limits but no spending limits for campaigns.
Carl Sheeler: Supports safety locks, licensing, background checks, & more.
Joe Carraro: Allow concealed carry, with licenses.
Brian Schweitzer: Protect our 2nd Amendment rights.
John Hoeven: Allow concealed carry.
Ruth Ann Minner: Strengthen existing gun laws; require child safety locks.
John Hoeven: Govít ensures basic health care only for elderly & needy.
Ruth Ann Minner: Ensure that citizens have access to basic health care.
Carl Sheeler: Property taxes are regressive.
Welfare & Poverty|
Carl Sheeler: Hand-up, not hand-out.
Gretchen Whitmer: More public transit and benefits thru TANF program.
The above quotations are from 2004 Gubernatorial National Political Awareness Test, by Project Vote Smart.
- 2020 Political Courage Test: House and Senate
- 2018 State legislation: House, Senate, and Governor
- 2016 State legislation: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and State
- 2013-2014 Political Courage Test: Gubernatorial & Senate, plus legislative records
- 2011-12 State legislation: House and Senate plus legislative records
- 2009-10 Political Courage Tests: Senatorial, Gubernatorial, and State legislation
- 2008 Political Courage Tests: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial
- 2006 Political Awareness Tests: Gubernatorial and Senatorial
- 2004 Political Awareness Tests: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial
- 2002 Political Awareness Tests: Gubernatorial and Senatorial
- 2000 Political Awareness Tests: Presidential and Congress
- 1996-1998 Political Awareness Tests: House, Senate, and State
- Collections of Voter Guides:
- American Family Association iVoterGuides:
- Science Debate Voter Guides:
- CampusElect.org Voter Guides:
- AARP voter guides:
- Vote-USA.org voter guides:
- Miscellaneous voter guides: