Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Democratic Primary Debate in Ohio, hosted by CNN and the New York Times
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Democratic Primary Debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Klobuchar (9) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang (8) Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Bernie Sanders (7) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke (6) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Cory Booker (8) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Elizabeth Warren (10) Massachusetts Senator
- Joe Biden (10) Democratic V.P.
- Julian Castro (6) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (6) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Pete Buttigieg (7) Indiana Democratic candidate for President; Mayor of South Bend, IN
- Tom Steyer (8) Possible Democratic candidate for President from California
- Tulsi Gabbard (7) Hawaii Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from HI-2
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
The top twelve Democratic presidential candidates debated at Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio, sponsored by CNN and the New York Times.
Changes in the field as a result of this debate:
- CEO Tom Steyer (D, CA) made his first appearance in a debate, after months of TV advertising
- Rep. Tim Ryan (D, OH) dropped out after this debate, on Oct. 25.
- Rep. Beto O`Rourke (D, TX) dropped out after this debate, on Nov. 1.
- CEO Mike Bloomberg (D, NY) re-entered the race, claiming that
V.P. Joe Biden was not capturing the moderate electorate, on Nov. 7.
This debate was preceded by two "CNN Town Halls," focused on one topic, with a half-hour Q&A with each of a dozen candidates:
- LGBT Town Hall in Los Angeles, October 10, with nine candidates on gay rights topics
- CNN Town Hall on Climate Change, September 4, with ten candidates
- Other CNN Town Halls prior to September, on general topics
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Amy Klobuchar: Public supports contraception and safe abortion.
Cory Booker: Create Office of Reproductive Freedom & Reproductive Rights.
Cory Booker: Women shouldn't be only ones for reproductive rights.
Elizabeth Warren: Americans support Roe, Congress should be able to pass.
Julian Castro: Codify Roe v. Wade, repeal Hyde Amendment.
Kamala Harris: Reproductive healthcare under attack in American today.
Kamala Harris: Stop men telling women what they can do with their bodies.
Tulsi Gabbard: No 3rd-trimester abortion unless life of mother at stake.
Amy Klobuchar: Consolidation of business leading to startup slump.
Cory Booker: We will enforce antitrust laws.
Joe Biden: Double the capital gains tax.
Julian Castro: Fight back against monopolistic practices.
Tom Steyer: Break the corporate stranglehold of our government.
Tom Steyer: Break up monopolies but we should focus on the positive.
Andrew Yang: Decriminalize small opiate possession, safe injection sites.
Bernie Sanders: Opioid manufacturers profited & knew their products killed.
Beto O`Rourke: Decriminalize opioids; legalize marijuana.
Julian Castro: Send high-level executives to jail for opioids & corruption.
Tom Steyer: 72,000 died from opioids last year; that's a health crisis.
Energy & Oil|
Tom Steyer: We need to lead the world on climate, with allies abroad.
Families & Children|
Amy Klobuchar: We need to talk about aging population, long term care.
Amy Klobuchar: Need consistency in our foreign policy.
Bernie Sanders: Turkey is not a US ally when they invade & mass slaughter.
Cory Booker: Trump's withdrawal from world stage is sign of weakness.
Joe Biden: Russia wants to break up NATO; work with Turkey to keep it.
Julian Castro: North Korea won't work with US after ditching Iran nuke deal.
Tom Steyer: Unilateral action, without allies, makes absolutely no sense.
Elizabeth Warren: Multinational corporations have no loyalty to America.
Tom Steyer: Trump tax plan & trade war are failures; I can show how.
Amy Klobuchar: Russia didn't just meddle in our election; they invaded it.
Elizabeth Warren: The elephant in the room is how campaigns are financed.
Joe Biden: Don't pack the Supreme Court.
Pete Buttigieg: Expand but depoliticize Supreme Court.
Amy Klobuchar: Public is with us on background checks & police vetting.
Beto O`Rourke: No door-to-door enforcement, but reduce weapons of war.
Elizabeth Warren: Repeal filibuster or gun industry will veto any gun laws.
Joe Biden: I beat the NRA twice: AR-15s & high-capacity magazines.
Julian Castro: No mandatory buybacks--it means more cops banging on doors.
Kamala Harris: Mandatory buyback for 5 million assault weapons.
Bernie Sanders: Taxes will go up with Medicare for All, most will pay less.
Elizabeth Warren: Health care bill must reduce costs for middle class families.
Pete Buttigieg: Forced Medicare for All would divide the country.
Beto O`Rourke: Renew alliances like Kurds; they make America stronger.
Joe Biden: ISIS will come here if they take over Iraq and Syria.
Andrew Yang: Federal job programs are not the answer to changing economy.
Bernie Sanders: Create jobs with infrastructure repair & Green New Deal.
Cory Booker: Increase union strength to improve workers' conditions.
Julian Castro: We need to invest and spark new job opportunities.
Tom Steyer: Minimum wage should be $11 to $20, for parity with 1980.
Tulsi Gabbard: Prefers universal basic income to federal jobs guarantee.
Principles & Values|
Amy Klobuchar: What unites us is bigger than what divides us.
Amy Klobuchar: Trump's actions make Russia great again, not America.
Andrew Yang: Not left or right, but forward.
Andrew Yang: Impeachment won't solve problems that got Trump elected.
Bernie Sanders: I hold major rallies despite age & health.
Bernie Sanders: End divisiveness; unite people with progressive agenda.
Bernie Sanders: Trump a corrupt president, worthy of impeachment.
Beto O`Rourke: 1600 miles with Republican led to finding common ground.
Beto O`Rourke: Impeachment: Can't fail those who sacrificed for our country.
Cory Booker: Rugged individualism is fine, but we must work together.
Cory Booker: Impeachment: We need a moral moment, not a political one.
Elizabeth Warren: Would be oldest president; ready to fight for the people.
Elizabeth Warren: Ready to use executive authority for the people.
Elizabeth Warren: Impeachment is about more than Trump.
Joe Biden: With age comes wisdom; and for me, experience on Day One.
Joe Biden: I'm the only Dem candidate who's gotten big things done.
Joe Biden: Better positioned than any country to own 21st century.
Joe Biden: Congress had no choice but to move on impeachment.
Kamala Harris: We have much more in common than what separates us.
Kamala Harris: Trump committed crimes in plain sight.
Pete Buttigieg: America known as country that keeps its word.
Pete Buttigieg: Purpose of presidency is unification, not self-glorification.
Pete Buttigieg: Impeachment is not just about Trump, but about presidency.
Tom Steyer: Impeachment reflects the will of the American people.
Tulsi Gabbard: Would be youngest president, but has experience.
Tulsi Gabbard: Treat people with respect, even when we disagree strongly.
Tulsi Gabbard: Supports impeachment inquiry providing info to Americans.
Elizabeth Warren: Add $200 per month to everyone on Social Security.
Amy Klobuchar: Repeal significant portions of Trump tax bill.
Andrew Yang: Wealth tax didn't work where it was tried.
Andrew Yang: Russian hacking of our elections is a hostile act.
Andrew Yang: Concerned about how tech affects children.
Andrew Yang: Users should own their personal data, get paid for its use.
Beto O`Rourke: We don't allow lies in books; why do we allow Facebook?
Kamala Harris: Same rules for everyone; Twitter should shut down Trump.
War & Peace|
Elizabeth Warren: Exit from Mideast wars, but do it the right way.
Joe Biden: Troop withdrawal from Syria was shameful.
Pete Buttigieg: We have betrayed our allies & values by exiting Syria.
Pete Buttigieg: Syrian withdrawal undermines our soldiers' honor.
Tulsi Gabbard: End the regime change war in Syria.
Tulsi Gabbard: Indefinite stay in Syria IS "endless war".
Welfare & Poverty|
Cory Booker: Level of U.S. child poverty is a moral obscenity.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Amy Klobuchar Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Bernie Sanders Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Cory Booker New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Elizabeth Warren Massachusetts Senator
- Joe Biden Democratic V.P.
- Julian Castro Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Pete Buttigieg Indiana Democratic candidate for President; Mayor of South Bend, IN
- Tom Steyer Possible Democratic candidate for President from California
- Tulsi Gabbard Hawaii Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from HI-2
The above quotations are from Democratic Primary Debate in Ohio, hosted by CNN and the New York Times.
Debates and Surveys in the 2020 Democratic Primary:
Surveys and other coverage of the Democratic Primary:
- February Democratic candidates debate in N.H., (Feb. 7, 2020)
- CNN New Hampshire Town Halls (Feb. 5-6, 2020)
- January Democratic candidates debate in Des Moines, (Jan. 14, 2020)
- December Democratic candidates debate at UCLA, (Dec. 19, 2019)
- November Democratic candidates debate in Atlanta, (Nov. 20, 2019)
- October Democratic candidates debate in Ohio, (Oct. 15, 2019)
- CNN LGBT Town Hall (Oct. 10, 2019)
- Business Insider Republican candidates debate, (Sept. 24, 2019)
- September Democratic candidates debate in Houston, (Sept. 12, 2019)
- CNN Climate Town Hall (Sept. 4, 2019)
- July Democratic candidates debate in Detroit (July 30-31, 2019)
- June Democratic candidates debate in Miami, (June 26-27, 2019)
- CNN Town Halls (April-May, 2019)
- Survey of 2020 Presidential campaign websites
- Politico 2020Dems Presidential survey
- NPR Morning Edition 2020 Presidential survey
- CNN Kfile, investigative reporting on presidential contenders
- Jacobin Magazine, socialist perspectives on presidential contenders
- CNN Town Halls, with presidential contenders
- Fox Town Halls, with presidential contenders
- 2020 Presidential Hopefuls by OnTheIssues.org
Books by 2020 Presidential hopefuls:
- The Truths We Hold, by Kamala Harris (2019)
- Shortest Way Home, by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
- The Mueller Report, investigation and commentary (2019)
- From the Ground Up, by Howard Schultz (2019)
- Where We Go From Here, by Bernie Sanders (2018)
- The Right Answer, by John Delaney (2018)
- An Unlikely Journey, by Julian Castro (2018)
- Healing the Soul of America, by Marianne Williamson (2018)
- Promise Me, Dad, by Joe Biden (2017)
- This Fight Is Our Fight by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
- The Making of Donald Trump by David Cay Johnston (2017)
- United, by Cory Booker (2016)
- The Opposite of Woe, by John Hickenlooper (2016)
- The Senator Next Door, by Amy Klobuchar (2015)
- Off the Sidelines, Kirsten Gillibrand (2014)
- Dealing Death and Drugs, by Beto O'Rourke (2011)
Page last edited: Feb 09, 2020