Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Interviews during 2017-2019, interviewing presidential hopefuls for 2020
This collection of excerpts comes from articles about and interviews of 2020 presidential hopefuls.
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Interviews during 2017-2019 (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Klobuchar (23) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang (21) Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Ben Sasse (1) Republican Jr Senator Nebraska
- Bernie Sanders (18) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke (21) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Bill de Blasio (12) New York Democratic primary candidate and NYC mayor
- Bill Weld (35) Massachusetts Republican presidential primary challenger
- Cory Booker (26) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- David Koch (2) Libertarian candidate for Vice President (1980)
- Deval Patrick (5) Massachusetts Democratic Governor
- Don Blankenship (2) Constitution Party candidate for President
- Donald Trump (22) Republican Presidential incumbent
- Elizabeth Warren (13) Massachusetts Senator
- Eric Garcetti (4) California Mayor of Los Angeles
- Eric Swalwell (2) California Presidential candidate (withdrawn); U.S. Rep from CA-15
- George P. Bush (1) Texas Republican Texas Land Commissioner
- Green Party (1)
- Howard Dean (1) Democrat
- Howard Schultz (17) Starbucks CEO; independent for President (suspended)
- Howie Hawkins (2) New York Green Party Presidential Challenger
- Jay Inslee (26) Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- Joe Biden (9) Democratic V.P.
- Joe Sestak (2) Democratic candidate for President; Navy Admiral
- Joe Walsh (25) Illinois Republican presidential primary challenger
- John Delaney (9) Maryland Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MD-6
- John Hickenlooper (17) Colorado Democratic Colorado Governor
- John Kasich (30) Ohio Republican Ohio Governor
- Julian Castro (28) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Justin Amash (3) Michigan Libertarian Presidential Challenger
- Kamala Harris (18) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Kirsten Gillibrand (28) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Lincoln Chafee (18) Rhode Island Independent Rhode Island Governor
- Lindsey Graham (4) South Carolina S.C. Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Marco Rubio (5) FL Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Marianne Williamson (4) Democratic candidate for President
- Mark Sanford (9) South Carolina Republican Presidential contender
- Michael Bennet (4) Colorado Democratic candidate for President; Colorado Senator
- Mike Bloomberg (1) New York Mayor of NYC
- Mike Gravel (3) Democratic challenger for president
- Mike Pence (6) Indiana Republican Vice President
- Mitt Romney (3) Massachusetts Former GOP Governor (2003-2006); Pres. candidate (2008)
- Oprah Winfrey (10) Possible candidate for president 2020
- Paul Ryan (1) Republican
- Pete Buttigieg (26) Indiana Democratic candidate for President; Mayor of South Bend, IN
- Pope Francis (3) Leader of the Catholic Church
- Seth Moulton (6) Massachusetts Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MA-6
- Steve Bullock (3) Montana Democratic Montana Governor
- Ted Cruz (1) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Tom Steyer (24) Possible Democratic candidate for President from California
- Tulsi Gabbard (25) Hawaii Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from HI-2
- Wayne Messam (7) Florida Democratic Presidential Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Speculation on 2020 presidential contenders (sources for issue excerpts):
- Reason magazine, "Lincoln Chafee Seeks Libertarian Party Presidential Nomination," by Brian Doherty, 1.6.2020
- Council on Foreign Relations, "Candidate Tracker: Joe Walsh, Tom Steyer, Deval Patrick, and Mike Bloomberg" Dec. 24, 2019
- Council on Foreign Relations, "Meet Joe Walsh, Republican Presidential Candidate," by James M. Lindsay, December 2, 2019
- Politico.com, "Trump holds Dallas rally as impeachment fight messes with his lead in Texas," by Nancy Cook, 10/17/2019
- Council on Foreign Relations, "Candidates Answer CFR's Questions: Bill Weld," October 3, 2019
- The Guardian, "Trump is seriously, frighteningly unstable--the world is in danger," by Robert Reich, 9/15/2019
- Washington Post, "We are Trump's Republican challengers. Canceling GOP primaries is a critical mistake," by Mark Sanford, Joe Walsh & Bill Weld, 9/13/19
- Warwick Beacon, "Chafee discusses 2020 Libertarian presidential bid," by Ethan Hartley, September 11, 2019
- CNN K-File, "Biden says he opposed the Iraq War. A check of his record shows otherwise," by N.McDermott & A.Kaczynski, 9/4/19
- Buzzfeed.com, "Texts With Donald Trump's New Challenger: (Woke?) Joe Walsh," by Ben Smith, August 29, 2019
- Axios.com, "Trump suggested nuking hurricanes to stop them from hitting U.S.," by Jonathan Swan & Margaret Talev, 8/25/19
- NBC Meet the Press, interview of Gov. Bill Weld, Aug 25, 2019
- USA Today, "Joe Walsh apologizes for past racist comments," by Jeanine Santucci, Aug. 25, 2019
- Talk Business & Politics, "Sen. Cotton says he asked Danish ambassador about selling Greenland," 8/21/2019
- Politico.com, "Joe Walsh to mount primary bid against 'absolutely unfit' Trump," by Natasha Korecki, 08/21/2019
- The Hill e-zine, "Trump: Purchasing Greenland 'strategically' interesting," by Owen Daugherty, 08/18/19
- NBC Meet the Press, interview of Gov. Mark Sanford, Aug 18, 2019
- Salon.com, "Ex-Rep. Joe Walsh apologizes for supporting 'unfit' Trump, by Igor Derysh, August 16, 2019
- PoliticalWire.com, "Weld Says Trump Is a 'Raging Racist'," by Taegan Goddard, July 25, 2019
- National Review, "Trump Should Welcome a Challenge from Mark Sanford," by Jonathan S. Tobin, July 18, 2019
- The Charleston (SC) Post and Courier, "Mark Sanford considers presidential run against Trump," by Caitlin Byrd, Jul 16, 2019
- MSN.com, "Former SC Gov. Mark Sanford mulling run for president," Jul 16, 2019
- CNN Fact check: "Biden falsely claims he opposed spending more money to build state prisons," by D.Dale & A.Kaczynski, 7/7/19
- Washington Post, "Our politics is in a partisan death spiral. That's why I'm leaving the GOP," by Rep. Justin Amash, 7/4/19
- The New Republic, "Minutes: Sanders's rotating judges," by Matt Ford, June 29 2019
- United Press International (UPI), "Joe Sestak seeks to restore accountability to White House," by Danielle Haynes, 6/25/2019
- Miami Herald, "Our Latin America policies are morally bankrupt," by Joe Biden, June 24, 2019
- The Hill, "Joe Sestak joins crowded presidential primary," by Rachel Frazin, 6/23/2019
- The Independent (UK), "Trump refuses to apologise for demanding Central Park Five be executed," Clemence Michallon, 6/18/19
- American Thinker, "Taxpayers to pay $550,000 for MSHA failures," by Bruce Thompson, May 19, 2019
- PoliticalWire.com, "GOP Lawmaker Unloads on Trump and Barr," by Taegan Goddard, May 18, 2019
- The Nation magazine, "Economic Security Should Be Lifelong," by Peter Barnes, May 15, 2019
- Houston Chronicle, "Why Joe Biden needs Libertarians," by Joshua Spivak, May 13, 2019
- Leafly.com, "Time to Admit It: Trump Opposes Cannabis Legalization," by Bruce Barcott, May 2, 2019
- Indianapolis Star, "Where Buttigieg stands, from 'Medicare for all' to gun control," by Kaitlin Lange & Chris Sikich, 5/6/2019
- Texas Tribune, "Officers at Beto O'Rourke's 1998 DWI crash say they believe he tried to flee," by Jay Root, April 24, 2019
- New York Times, "Meet the Other Resistance: The Republican One," by Mark Leibovich, April 24, 2019
- CNN.com, "Swalwell on proposed assault weapons ban: 'Keep your pistols, keep your shotguns'," by Eli Watkins, 4/19/2019
- PBS Newshour, "Mike Pence says 'era of strategic patience is over'," Apr 17, 2019
- CNN Town Hall Meeting with Andrew Yang, Presidential Candidate, April 14, 2019
- People Magazine (people.com), "Pete Buttigieg Challenges Mike Pence's Anti-LGBTQ History," by Adam Carlson, April 9, 2019
- InsiderNJ.com, "Jack Ciattarelli: A Wendell Willkie and Larry Hogan in Waiting," by Alan Steinberg, April 9, 2019
- PBS Newshour, "Trump trying to make case for Jewish voters to back 2020 bid," Apr 6, 2019
- Townhall.com, "Schultz Says He's Against Third Trimester Abortions," by Lauretta Brown, Apr 05, 2019
- PBS Newshour, "Trump says immigration ‘system is full'," Apr 5, 2019
- Education Next, "Buttigieg talks Charter Schools", by Ira Stoll, 4/4/2019
- Time magazine, "Here's What All the 2020 Candidates Have Said and Done About Equal Pay," by Abigail Abrams, April 2, 2019
- The Atlantic, "Beto Sees Trump's Immigration Trap Clearly," by Peter Beinart, Apr. 1, 2019
- Vox.com, "Trump's decision to cut off aid to 3 Central American countries, explained," by Dara Lind, Apr 1, 2019
- Mother Jones, "Which 2020 Democrats Are Strongest on Climate?," by Nick Visser, March 27, 2019
- Truthout.org, "How the 2020 Candidates Stack Up on War and Peace," by Medea Benjamin & Nicolas Davies, March 27, 2019
- Rolling Stone magazine, "88-Year-Old Mike Gravel Is the Latest Teen Sensation," by Ryan Bort, 3/20/2019
- Fox News, "Trump blasts California governor for halting executions," by Brooke Singman, 3/12/2019
- Bloomberg News, "Trump Seeks Huge Premium From Allies Hosting US Troops," by Nick Wadhams & Jennifer Jacobs, Mar.8, 2019
- The Atlantic, "Jay Inslee's Risky Bet for 2020," by Edward-Isaac Dovere , 3/1/2019
- Mother Jones magazine, "Presidential Hopefuls Flock to South by Southwest Festival," by Nathalie Baptiste, March 2019
- Axios.com, "John Kasich to fellow GOPers: Stop denying climate change", by Amy Harder, Feb. 26, 2019
- The Hill, "Kasich to push Republicans for policies to address climate change," by Avery Anapol, Feb. 26, 2019
- The New Republic, "The Democrats Stole the Green Party's Best Idea," by Emily Atkin, February 22, 2019
- Penn Today (U.Penn.), "Joe Biden talking politics," by Lauren Hertzler, Feb. 19, 2019
- Bloomberg News, "Bill De Blasio Slams Amazon's 'Abuse of Corporate Power'," Christopher Condon & Ben Brody, 2/17/2019
- Boston Globe, Transcript of Bill Weld's speech on exploring a 2020 run against Donald Trump, 2/15/2019
- Politico.com, "Harris calls for marijuana legalization," by Katie Galioto, 2/11/2019
- Townhall.com, "The 2020 Democrats: Julian Castro," 2/4/2019
- Reuters, "Sanders to ask why drug, once free, now costs $375k," by Yasmeen Abutaleb, Feb. 4, 2019
- New York Post, "Cory Booker declares bid for presidency," by Yaron Steinbuch, February 1, 2019
- Jacobin magazine, "Howard Schultz's #MeToo Problem at Starbucks," by Liza Featherstone, Feb. 2019
- Vox.com, "That time Donald Trump proposed a 14.5 percent wealth tax", by Matthew Yglesias, Jan 31, 2019
- Fox News, "Swalwell says rich 'getting off the hook,'" by Paul Steinhauser, 1/31/2019
- Vox.com, "5 anti-poverty plans from 2020 Democratic presidential contenders, explained," by Dylan Matthews, Jan 30, 2019
- Washington Examiner, "Scourge of the socialists?", by Philip Wegmann, January 29, 2019
- Yahoo Entertainment Video, "Kamala Harris has an extreme idea to get gun control legislation passed," Jan 29th 2019
- Vox.com, "Elizabeth Warren's proposed tax on enormous fortunes, explained," by Matthew Yglesias, Jan 24, 2019
- International Policy Digest, "Sanders and the media," by Russell Whitehouse, Jan. 23, 2019
- Time Magazine, "Kamala Harris Jumps Into Presidential Race," by Juana Summers, January 21, 2019
- New York Times, "Mayor de Blasio Says Wealth Is 'in the Wrong Hands'," by J. David Goodman & William Neuman, 1/10/2019
- Washington Post, "Schultz running as an independent for president in 2020," by Michael Scherer, January 18, 2019
- Washington Free Beacon, "Gillibrand apologizes for 'callous' views on immigration," by David Rutz, January 16, 2019
- The Daily Beast, "Gillibrand to Colbert: I'm Going to Run," by Gideon Resnick, 01.15.19
- CNN.com, "Tulsi Gabbard once touted working for anti-gay group that backed conversion therapy," by Andrew Kaczynski, Jan. 13, 2019
- The Atlantic, "Can a Democrat Win the Presidency on Climate Change?", by Edward-Isaac Dovere, 1/2/2019
- Snopes.com, "Did Elizabeth Warren Say Abortion Is 'No Different' Than Removing Tonsils?", January 2019
- Snopes.com, "Is Kamala Harris Not Eligible to Serve as U.S. President?", January 2019
- More citations from 2018 and earlier...
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Joe Walsh: Science, technology removes exceptions for abortion.
Joe Walsh: 1996: pro-choice; 2010: pro-life without exception.
Bernie Sanders: No anti-choice appointments to Supreme Court.
Bill de Blasio: Supports abortion rights & funding Planned Parenthood.
Pete Buttigieg: Federal government should protect reproductive freedom.
Seth Moulton: Strongly supports woman's right to choose.
Pete Buttigieg: Abortion is moral question decided by woman, not government.
Howard Schultz: Pro-choice, but against third trimester abortion.
John Hickenlooper: Women have the right control their own health care.
Beto O`Rourke: Oppose limiting abortions to under 20 weeks of pregnancy.
John Hickenlooper: Supports access to abortion.
Jay Inslee: Allow taxpayer-funded family planning clinics.
Bernie Sanders: Few or no government limits on abortion.
Bill Weld: Remove anti-abortion language from GOP platform.
Amy Klobuchar: Make abortions safe and make them rare.
Julian Castro: Opposed Texas blocking abortions after 20 weeks.
Elizabeth Warren: Legal abortions are safer than tonsillectomies.
Kamala Harris: Don't limit abortions to the first 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Fewer limits on abortion; no 20-week ban.
Tulsi Gabbard: Abortion should remain legal and accessible.
Julian Castro: Allow abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Eric Garcetti: Pro-choice.
Tom Steyer: Pro-choice is a litmus test for all support.
Mike Pence: Tie-breaker vote to defund Planned Parenthood.
Oprah Winfrey: Too young for Roe V. Wade to avoid botched abortion.
Budget & Economy|
Bill Weld: There's no such thing as government money.
Mark Sanford: Debt & deficit numbers bode trouble for future.
Joe Walsh: Those who attacked Obama's spending should attack Trump's.
Mark Sanford: Republican Party has lost its way on debt & spending.
Pete Buttigieg: Government investment can help minority businesses.
Andrew Yang: Measure standard of living instead of GDP.
Pete Buttigieg: We should support workers going through changes.
Bill Weld: Balance the Federal budget as states do.
Bill Weld: Top priority: zero-based budgeting; cut spending; cut taxes.
Jay Inslee: Leading state in job growth & personal-income growth.
Tom Steyer: Trump's $1T deficit is historic fiscal mismanagement.
Mark Sanford: Shouldn't trade increased spending for tax reform.
Donald Trump: Government must cut spending more.
Donald Trump: Treat Judaism as nationality, not just religion.
Joe Walsh: It's racist to say "go back to where you came from".
Bill Weld: Republican Party should reject immoral choice of racism.
Amy Klobuchar: Government must address integrity of elections.
Julian Castro: Supports reparations commission, we need healing process.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Let ex-cons vote; address racism in criminal justice.
Pete Buttigieg: Problem about me being gay means problem with my creator.
Pete Buttigieg: Address racial divide by showing up & building trust.
Wayne Messam: We must face institutional racism across the board.
Cory Booker: Yes to reparations, but as part of larger conversation.
Cory Booker: Will fight for LGBTQ rights; everyone should feel safe.
Andrew Yang: Supports LGBTQ rights.
John Hickenlooper: Supports gay marriage and LGBTQ rights.
Jay Inslee: Backed legalizing same-sex marriage in his state.
Bernie Sanders: 1983: Approved "Gay Rights Day" in Burlington Vermont.
Bill Weld: Supports gay marriage.
Kamala Harris: Reparations for blacks should include HBCU and reforms.
Amy Klobuchar: Anti-gay discrimination is bad for business.
Howard Schultz: Starbucks did little to stop sexual harassment of employees.
Kamala Harris: Let transgender people access the bathroom of their choice.
Tulsi Gabbard: Views on LGBT rights evolved; 100% rating from HRC.
Kirsten Gillibrand: End the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
Cory Booker: Parents experienced racist "redlining" at family home in NJ.
Howard Dean: 2004: I wore a bullet-proof vest to argue for civil unions.
Tulsi Gabbard: Regrets past anti-gay statements; now pro-LGBTQ+ rights.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2002: Amend Constitution to protect traditional marriage.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2004: We shouldn't represent views of homosexual extremists.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2012: Apologized for anti-LGBT past; pro-LGBT bills now.
George P. Bush: Allow Muslims in leadership roles in state Republican Party.
Ted Cruz: Allow Muslims in leadership roles in state Republican Party.
John Kasich: Strongly opposed "bathroom bills" against transgender people.
Deval Patrick: 1985: defended community activists in Alabama voter case.
Howard Schultz: Race Together: conversation on race with all Starbucks staff.
Tom Steyer: African-Americans waited for centuries for civil rights.
Oprah Winfrey: Define marriage to include monogamous same-sex couples.
Tulsi Gabbard: Against gay marriage but no government morality.
Pete Buttigieg: Freedom is personal, not about government regulation.
Pete Buttigieg: Came out as gay, to inspire others to judge character.
Joe Walsh: Suspended from radio show for discussing racial slurs.
Oprah Winfrey: Credits the civil rights movement for her pathway to success.
Pete Buttigieg: Capitalism is good, but it must be subject to rules.
Elizabeth Warren: Use anti-trust to break up anti-competitive businesses.
Elizabeth Warren: Breakup online monopolies; wealth shouldn't be concentrated.
Bill de Blasio: Amazon exemplifies abuse of corporate power by leaving NYC.
Howard Schultz: Rich should pay higher taxes, and corporations too.
John Delaney: Raise corporate taxes to pay for infrastructure.
Kamala Harris: New fees on banks and financial institutions.
Bill de Blasio: Plenty of money in NYC, but it's in the wrong hands.
Beto O`Rourke: Raise corporate rates to fund higher education.
Elizabeth Warren: Wants workers to choose 40% of corporate boards.
Howard Schultz: American Dream can't be accessible only in right zip code.
Marco Rubio: Big corporations gave out bonuses instead of reinvesting.
Tom Steyer: Trump puts corporate interests ahead of people's interests.
Joe Sestak: Favors increasing corporate tax rate & restoring estate tax.
Joe Walsh: Occupy Wall Street is a well-orchestrated Socialist movement.
Joe Walsh: Index capital gains tax to inflation.
Donald Trump: Central Park 5 admitted guilt; exoneration doesn't matter.
Beto O`Rourke: 1995 burglary arrest: charges dropped by U. Texas.
John Hickenlooper: Record of being pro-active against police misconduct.
John Hickenlooper: Suspend death penalty; it's too random & doesn't deter.
Donald Trump: Keep death penalty; don't forget the victims.
Cory Booker: Make lynching a hate crime.
Kamala Harris: Progressive prosecutor: fix broken criminal justice system.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Advocate for victims of sexual assault.
Tom Steyer: Backs bill to release accused criminals who can't pay bail.
Bill de Blasio: NYC enjoying major drop in crime rate.
Deval Patrick: Wrote letters to parole board for convicted rapist.
Deval Patrick: I don't need to be lectured about crime.
Pete Buttigieg: Marijuana is personal responsibility issue; move to legalize.
Donald Trump: Opposed allowing vets access to legal cannabis.
Beto O`Rourke: 1998 drunk driving: arresting officers say he tried to flee.
Andrew Yang: Decriminalize opiates & marijuana, but not cocaine.
Julian Castro: Crack down on traffickers of dangerous drugs like fentanyl.
Julian Castro: Legalize and regulate marijuana; expunge criminal records.
Jay Inslee: Opposed marijuana legalization; now sees it as success.
Cory Booker: Decriminalize marijuana; expunge past criminal records.
John Hickenlooper: Marijuana legalization works, but leave it to states.
Amy Klobuchar: Reduce sentences for non-violent drug offenders.
Amy Klobuchar: Opioid companies should fund addiction treatment.
Bill Weld: Accept benefits of cannabis; allow vets and seniors to use.
Cory Booker: Legalize marijuana federally, plus state incentives.
Kamala Harris: Legalize marijuana: it gives a lot of people joy.
Beto O`Rourke: Treat drug abuse as public health issue, not criminal.
Joe Biden: 1981: Militarized domestic police against drugs.
John Kasich: Make low-level drug use a misdemeanor; treatment not prison.
John Hickenlooper: Failed War on Drugs paved way for pot legalization.
Lincoln Chafee: Lobbied DEA to reclassify marijuana for medical use.
Lincoln Chafee: Not proud of trying cocaine as college student.
Andrew Yang: Pay teachers enough to attract and retain the best.
Julian Castro: Invest in public schools, pre-K through higher ed.
Jay Inslee: Cut college tuition; provide assistance to neediest.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Strongly support education, but one size doesn't fit all.
Wayne Messam: Relieve graduates of "crippling debt" from college loans.
Cory Booker: Support public education including some charter schools.
Cory Booker: Free community college; loan forgiveness; apprenticeships.
John Hickenlooper: Free skills training & free community college.
Amy Klobuchar: Free community college; expand Pell Grants.
Bill Weld: Control of education by states and parents, more choice.
Howard Schultz: Hold colleges responsible, but help students handle debt.
Kamala Harris: Free tuition at four-year public colleges.
Elizabeth Warren: Support teacher unions on this time of crisis.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Make public higher education debt-free.
Tulsi Gabbard: Tuition-free community college for all.
Julian Castro: Two free years of higher education.
Beto O`Rourke: Investment in public education pays off.
Marco Rubio: Bad idea to arm teachers against school shootings.
David Koch: Push for education savings accounts on state ballots.
Oprah Winfrey: Changing the way people think starts with education.
Tom Steyer: Opportunity Institute: cradle to career approach.
Bernie Sanders: Fix No-Child-Left-Behind with Every-Student-Succeeds-Act.
Bill de Blasio: Add two Muslim holidays to public school vacation schedule.
Energy & Oil|
Lincoln Chafee: Don't deny climate change: deal with it.
Joe Walsh: No more partisanship on climate change, it's real.
Bernie Sanders: Not enough to beat Trump; must beat fossil fuel industry.
Bill de Blasio: Supports Green New Deal & Paris Climate Accords.
Seth Moulton: Member of the Climate Solutions Caucus in Congress.
Jay Inslee: Keep options open, including research on nuclear energy.
Julian Castro: Cut carbon emissions; invest in renewable energy.
Jay Inslee: Decarbonize economy; fund transition for coal/oil workers.
Jay Inslee: Research nuclear energy; many problems unsolved.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Put a price on carbon: supports Green New Deal.
Andrew Yang: Mixed score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
Bernie Sanders: Perfect score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
Cory Booker: Leadership in dealing with climate change, including nuclear.
Cory Booker: Mixed score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
Donald Trump: Establish panel devoted to challenging climate science.
Elizabeth Warren: Perfect score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
Jay Inslee: Mixed score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
John Delaney: Zero score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
John Hickenlooper: Zero score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
Kirsten Gillibrand: Perfect score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
Tulsi Gabbard: Mixed score on "350 Action's 2020 Climate Test".
John Hickenlooper: Work with environmentalists & industry to get to solutions.
Beto O`Rourke: Return to Paris climate agreement.
Pete Buttigieg: Climate security is priority, invest in renewables.
Jay Inslee: Fighting climate change crucial, and profitable.
John Kasich: I've evolved on climate change: stop denying it.
John Kasich: Subsidies for electric vehicles and renewables.
John Kasich: Centrist climate policy: price for carbon dioxide emissions.
Green Party: Reorganize society to accomplish Green New Deal.
Howie Hawkins: I'm the original Green New Dealer, since 2010.
Amy Klobuchar: Green New Deal opens discussion on climate change.
Bill Weld: Climate change dangers are real; rejoin Paris Accords.
Howard Schultz: Green New Deal is unrealistic at $40 trillion.
Amy Klobuchar: Rejoin Paris climate deal; meet UN goals.
Pete Buttigieg: Green New Deal is a framework addressing climate & jobs.
Kamala Harris: Don't withdraw from the Paris climate accord.
Elizabeth Warren: Supports the idea of a Green New Deal.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Limit then cap-and-trade carbon emissions.
Tulsi Gabbard: No more fossil fuels for electricity by 2050.
Julian Castro: Rejoin the Paris Climate Treaty.
Jay Inslee: Decade-long track record on climate change.
Jay Inslee: Climate change threatens environment & national security.
Jay Inslee: Spur green R&D; restrict power plants and emissions.
Jay Inslee: Establish solar-cell; expand use of electric ferries.
John Hickenlooper: Pro-environment but there's room for fossil fuels.
Pope Francis: Climate change is a critical problem that must be addressed.
Tom Steyer: NextGen Climate: $170 million to advance renewable energy.
Tom Steyer: Fears current policies will subsidize fossil fuel extraction.
Tom Steyer: Supports Paris agreement to develop renewable technology.
Tom Steyer: AdWatch: Do even more with endless supply of wind and sun.
Tom Steyer: Proposed 10% on oil extraction to support university system.
Tom Steyer: Fought gutting state greenhouse gas reduction law.
John Kasich: Opposed Yucca Mountain nuclear waste facility.
Donald Trump: Why not nuke hurricanes to stop them from hitting US?
Don Blankenship: Mine Safety agency forced bad ventilation that exploded.
Wayne Messam: Supports fighting climate change.
Kamala Harris: 100% lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters.
John Kasich: Properly balance environmental stewardship and job creation.
John Kasich: Eliminate NOAA; let DOI safeguard natural resources.
John Kasich: Reduce Erie pollution with tougher fertilizer regulations.
John Kasich: Mandate best practices to reduce farm fertilizer runoff.
Don Blankenship: Environmental movement not great cause but great business.
Families & Children|
Kirsten Gillibrand: Sexual assault and harassment must be treated seriously.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Shouldn't have to choose between caregiving and job.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Pro-vaccines, not sure if they should be Federally mandated.
Bill Weld: 2000: Supported Family Leave Act, except paid leave.
Cory Booker: Opposes family separation policy at southern border.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Make childcare more affordable and accessible.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2000: Don't let gay activists force their values on our kids.
Bill de Blasio: Signs legislation protecting against sexual harassment.
Marco Rubio: Increased child tax credit plus paid family leave.
Tom Steyer: Republicans have traded their family values for power.
Ben Sasse: Wrote book about middle class:"The Vanishing American Adult".
Mike Pence: Does not eat or drink with women other than his wife.
Tom Steyer: America's brand in the world our most important protection.
Joe Walsh: Steadfastly support NATO.
Donald Trump: Refuses to consider mass killings of Armenians as genocide.
Bill Weld: China promised two systems for Hong Kong; we're watching.
Bill Weld: Support democracy, the rule of law, and prosperity in Africa.
Bill Weld: Multi-party talks to resolve Venezuelan situation.
Bill Weld: Foreign-owned debt poses national security problem.
Donald Trump: Postpone meeting with Denmark if no Greenland discussion.
Donald Trump: Buying Greenland is strategically interesting.
Joe Sestak: Restore U.S. status abroad; protect American dream at home.
Bernie Sanders: Even-handed Mideast policy; open to moving Jerusalem embassy.
Bernie Sanders: Must support human rights, even with trading partners.
Julian Castro: 21st century Marshall Plan for Central and Latin America.
Julian Castro: Rebuild alliances & reclaim role as world leader.
Donald Trump: Support goals of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Joe Biden: Work with NATO, with U.S. as the indispensable leader.
Pete Buttigieg: Use diplomatic strategies in Venezuela, not military.
John Hickenlooper: Supports a strong NATO, strengthening ties with allies.
Jay Inslee: Welcome Syrian refugees.
Joe Biden: US can't do it alone: stay engaged in the world.
Amy Klobuchar: Stand with our allies, invest in diplomacy.
Howard Schultz: China is not an ally, but we need to work with them.
Cory Booker: Re-examine relationship with Saudi Arabia.
Tulsi Gabbard: Defends meeting Syria's Assad; supports Trump on North Korea.
John Kasich: America First should not be America Alone.
John Kasich: Cooperation and engagement instead of "Fortress America".
John Kasich: China is converting economic power into regional influence.
John Kasich: Opportunity to cooperate with China instead of containment.
Lindsey Graham: Recognize Jerusalem as capital of Israel.
Tulsi Gabbard: Skeptical of Iran nuclear deal.
Tulsi Gabbard: Supports Egyptian dictator in fight against terrorism.
Tulsi Gabbard: Against criticizing India's treatment of Muslims.
Tulsi Gabbard: U.S. should focus on fighting terrorism, not regime change.
Lincoln Chafee: After Iraq war, we have to repair American credibility.
Lincoln Chafee: Outspoken backer of Iran nuclear agreement.
Joe Walsh: Two-state solution for Israel-Palestine failed for 64 years.
Joe Walsh: Everybody loses in a trade war with China.
Mark Sanford: Investment cratering; no one knows what's coming next.
Joe Walsh: Tariffs are a tax increase on middle-class Americans.
Julian Castro: Protect American workers but take part in global economy.
Beto O`Rourke: Support NAFTA and TPP.
John Hickenlooper: No tariffs on goods from China and Europe.
Bill Weld: Return to free trade; tariffs counterproductive.
Donald Trump: Nominates opponent of World Bank to lead World Bank.
Howard Schultz: Trump's tariff war is a strategic mistake.
John Delaney: Supports the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Julian Castro: Renegotiate NAFTA to protect workers & environment.
Cory Booker: No fast-track trade authority for Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Renegotiate NAFTA; add environmental protections.
Julian Castro: Renegotiate NAFTA.
John Delaney: Supports trade but government must help those it has hurt.
John Hickenlooper: Supports USMCA trade agreement to replace NAFTA.
John Kasich: Review trade violations without heavy-handed tariffs.
John Kasich: Combat Chinese dumping and currency manipulation.
John Kasich: Trade was not responsible for job losses; technology was.
John Kasich: Support TPP to eliminate 18,000 foreign tariffs on US goods.
Marco Rubio: Bring back American car-manufacturing via high automation.
Bill de Blasio: NAFTA was a disaster; we will not repeat mistake with TPP.
Bernie Sanders: Rotate judges on Supreme Court, like term limits.
Pete Buttigieg: Citizens United was a disaster for our democracy.
Andrew Yang: Supports statehood for DC & Puerto Rico.
Julian Castro: Require candidates to release tax returns.
Julian Castro: We need election security against foreign interference.
Pete Buttigieg: Make Supreme Court appointments less partisan.
Bernie Sanders: Require disclosure of campaign expenditures over $10,000.
Bill Weld: Blow up unnecessary state agencies.
Amy Klobuchar: Honest Ads Act: no more foreign meddling in elections.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Overturn Citizens United; refuse corporate PAC donations.
Elizabeth Warren: Supports a lifetime ban on officials becoming lobbyists.
Tom Steyer: Looking for old fashioned values, character and transparency.
Mark Sanford: Trump not releasing returns hurts democracy's transparency.
Pete Buttigieg: Created plan to ensure diversity in city government jobs.
Lincoln Chafee: Distrust of government is reason for 2d Amendment advocacy.
Joe Walsh: Kinderguardian satire: "Happy shooting, kids".
Bill de Blasio: Project Fast Track focuses on gangs & illegal guns.
Seth Moulton: Ban bump stocks; bar terrorists from gun purchases.
Eric Swalwell: Banning assault weapons does not mean broad gun ban.
Andrew Yang: Treat guns the way we treat motor vehicles.
Julian Castro: Sensible gun laws, and address mental health issues.
Jay Inslee: Lost seat over assault weapons bill; confront NRA again.
Pete Buttigieg: Common sense gun control can work under Second Amendment.
Wayne Messam: Opposed state law preventing discussion of gun control.
Cory Booker: Consensus on common sense gun laws; ready to fight NRA.
John Hickenlooper: Mental illness & weak gun laws both contribute to violence.
Bernie Sanders: Ban assault weapons; automatic background checks.
Amy Klobuchar: Commonsense gun laws have wide support.
Howard Schultz: Honor Second Amendment but enact sensible gun laws.
Julian Castro: Supports background checks at gun shows & assault weapon ban.
Cory Booker: Require background checks; ban assault weapons.
Kamala Harris: No reason we have assault weapons in a civil society.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Ban high-capacity magazines; close gun-show loophole.
Kirsten Gillibrand: 2006: "A" rating from NRA; 2019: apologizes.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Embarrassed at previous NRA "A" rating; now rated "F".
Tulsi Gabbard: Ban assault weapons; require universal background checks.
Julian Castro: Ban assault weapons.
Jay Inslee: Arming teachers with guns is ridiculous.
Beto O`Rourke: Supports Second Amendment with sensible gun laws.
John Kasich: Learn from mass shooting tragedies and take action.
Kamala Harris: We cannot tolerate society with our babies being slaughtered.
Tom Steyer: Targets youth voter registration for pro gun control votes.
Marco Rubio: Ban bump stocks; limit magazine size; more background checks.
John Kasich: We need bipartisan gun reform to deal with mass shootings.
John Kasich: Background checks and increased attention to mental illness.
Oprah Winfrey: Advocate for increased restrictions on gun control.
Joe Walsh: Purpose of Second Amendment is protection against tyranny.
Lincoln Chafee: 2014: B+ rating from Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
Howard Schultz: 2013: Requested customers not bring guns to Starbucks.
Joe Walsh: Fast and Furious: an attack on gun owners & gun dealers.
Bernie Sanders: Medicare-for-All will lead to stability, not disruption.
Michael Bennet: Public option better than Medicare for All.
Seth Moulton: Improve ObamaCare but not single-payer.
Andrew Yang: Public option would cost less than present system.
Jay Inslee: Public option; more access to Medicare by lowering age.
Julian Castro: Medicare for all, but allow private insurance.
Jay Inslee: Lower eligibility for Medicare; provide public option.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Transition to Medicare for all through public option.
Mitt Romney: Repeal Obamacare; Federal-state partnerships instead.
Wayne Messam: Health Care is a right, not a privilege.
Cory Booker: Medicare for all; start with commonsense reforms.
John Hickenlooper: Against single payer; supports public option.
Andrew Yang: ObamaCare is only a good first step.
Beto O`Rourke: Medicare-X: government-run public option.
Pete Buttigieg: Public option is step towards universal care.
Jay Inslee: Take initial steps towards universal health care.
Amy Klobuchar: Medicare-for-All for the future; public option now.
Bill Weld: Supports increased Medicaid access.
Bill Weld: More consumer choice instead of single-payer.
Howard Schultz: ObamaCare is ok, but Medicare-for-All goes too far.
Howard Schultz: President must take responsibility for V.A.
Amy Klobuchar: Expand Medicare to age 55.
Amy Klobuchar: Allow Medicare to directly negotiate prices.
Bernie Sanders: Pharma companies should justify high drug prices.
John Delaney: No Medicare for All, but yes universal health care.
Julian Castro: Would tax the richest to fund Medicare for All.
Cory Booker: Allow importing prescription drugs to lower Rx prices.
Cory Booker: Backs Medicare-for-All.
Kamala Harris: End private health insurance with Medicare for All.
Howard Schultz: Single-payer health care is a false promise.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Basic Health Program: offer lower-priced health insurance.
Tulsi Gabbard: Supports Medicare-for-All; tax wealthiest 5% to pay for it.
Julian Castro: Medicare for all, paid for by tax on wealthy.
Beto O`Rourke: Open to different ways to get to universal health care.
Bernie Sanders: Impose Medicaid requirements on states.
Eric Garcetti: I'm a single-payer guy.
Steve Bullock: Protect ObamaCare before pushing to expand further.
Tom Steyer: We need transparency on all drug prices.
Joe Walsh: Take seriously the dangers of Islamic terrorism.
Mark Sanford: Biggest national security threat is debt and deficit.
Mike Pence: Voted to keep ban on openly gay members of the military.
Seth Moulton: Focus on cybersecurity to deal with real threats to US.
Amy Klobuchar: Voted for 95% of military spending bills in Congress.
Andrew Yang: Too much military spending focuses in decades-old threats.
Beto O`Rourke: Supported 11th aircraft carrier; opposed 1% military cut.
Cory Booker: Supports military spending on Foreign Affairs Committee.
Elizabeth Warren: End stranglehold of defense contractors on military policy.
John Delaney: Voted for 25 out of 28 military spending bills.
Tulsi Gabbard: Don't cut military budget; fund weapons systems & ABMs.
Beto O`Rourke: Military should welcome transgender recruits.
Cory Booker: Transgender troops should be allowed to serve.
Tulsi Gabbard: Allow transgender Americans in the military.
Joe Biden: 1991: Favors government "back doors" into encryption.
John Kasich: Prioritize nuclear agreements like START and INF.
Joe Walsh: Cut $8.9B from defense bill, and supported 3% more.
Joe Biden: Bring in asylum seekers & DREAMers AND secure border.
Beto O`Rourke: Immediately undo Trump actions; work with Congress.
Bill de Blasio: Supports sanctuary cities; would abolish ICE.
Pete Buttigieg: Most Americans are immigrants or their descendants.
Seth Moulton: Citizenship path for those who follow law.
Andrew Yang: Immigrants make US stronger and more dynamic.
Andrew Yang: Need more case workers & judges at southern border.
Jay Inslee: More hearing officers to process asylum cases.
Jay Inslee: Against Muslim ban; not afraid of diversity.
Julian Castro: Asylum seekers have the right to be heard.
Donald Trump: Refugees can't come in; sorry, we're full.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Treat asylum seekers humanely; reform process.
Mitt Romney: Secure the borders; deport people here illegally.
Mitt Romney: Reluctantly supports DACA, but need to crack down.
Pete Buttigieg: Problem isn't ICE; it's what they're ordered to do.
Donald Trump: Use threat of tariffs to get Mexico's cooperation.
Beto O`Rourke: Stop refugee issue by dealing with what's driving them here.
Donald Trump: Cut off aid $700M to Central American Northern Triangle.
Wayne Messam: Blocked immigration enforcement on city property.
Cory Booker: Support DREAMers, reform immigration to reflect our values.
Andrew Yang: Boost funding for U.S. ports of entry.
Beto O`Rourke: Path to citizenship for all DREAMers.
John Hickenlooper: Family separation policy is cruel and un-American.
Bernie Sanders: Restructure ICE; don't necessarily abolish it.
Joe Biden: Allow citizenship for DREAMers.
Bill Weld: Trump's deportation policy is like Nazi Germany.
Bill Weld: Guest worker program rather than path to citizenship.
Howard Schultz: Border security ok, but don't demonize immigrants.
Amy Klobuchar: Increase legal immigration but don't abolish ICE.
Jay Inslee: Choose greatness instead of stoking fear among immigrants.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Reunite families ripped apart at the border.
John Delaney: Ending DACA program was cruel, heartless and mean-spirited.
Julian Castro: Against funding border wall.
Cory Booker: Supports DACA and DREAMers.
Kamala Harris: Re-examine ICE & start from scratch.
Howard Schultz: Hire 10,000 refugees from Trump's Muslim-ban countries.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Reimagine ICE; support DREAMers.
Kirsten Gillibrand: 2006: anti-illegal alien; 2019: diversity is our strength.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Blue Dog: opposed sanctuary cities & opposed amnesty.
Julian Castro: Secure the border by using technology, not a wall.
Beto O`Rourke: End separating kids; make DREAMers citizens.
Beto O`Rourke: Opposes "open borders," but new wall unnecessary.
John Kasich: Allies directly affected should repatriate Syrian refugees.
Kamala Harris: No border wall in any comprehensive bill.
Oprah Winfrey: Backs pathway to citizenship for all the illegal aliens.
Tom Steyer: $2.3M to recruit and train immigrant advocates.
Steve Bullock: Keep Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).
Tulsi Gabbard: 2015: Favor Christian over Islamic refugees.
Pope Francis: Opposes border wall between US and Mexico.
Pope Francis: Vocal advocate for the plight of refugees.
Bill de Blasio: Would raise the NYC minimum wage to $15/hour.
Andrew Yang: Monthly stipend would help us through technological changes.
Andrew Yang: I'm a huge union fan.
Wayne Messam: Supported boosting minimum wage.
Pete Buttigieg: Consider guaranteed income, perhaps redefine work.
Jay Inslee: Increase minimum wage; ensure gender pay equity.
Amy Klobuchar: Minimum wage must be raised.
Bill Weld: In-state training for displaced workers, including on-line.
Cory Booker: Supports $15 minimum wage and guaranteed jobs.
Beto O`Rourke: Invest in training for evolving economy.
Eric Garcetti: Universal pathway to employment.
Tom Steyer: Closed tax loophole on out of state business, creating jobs.
Steve Bullock: Guarantee equal pay for women.
Principles & Values|
Tom Steyer: I have been a grassroots organizer for 10 years.
Marianne Williamson: International Day of Peace: Why only one day?
Joe Walsh: 2010: opposed by namesake rock star Joe Walsh.
Joe Walsh: 2013: supported birtherism; 2019: apologized for it.
Donald Trump: LameStream Media are the Enemy of the People.
Bill Weld: All states should hold primaries, not just re-nominate Trump.
Joe Walsh: All states should hold primaries, not just re-nominate Trump.
Mark Sanford: All states should hold primaries, not just re-nominate Trump.
Lincoln Chafee: Surprised at how much he agrees with Libertarian Party.
Joe Walsh: The "Age of Trump" woke him up to racism of past comments.
Joe Walsh: Look into 25th amendment for Donald Trump.
Joe Walsh: Opposing Trump because he's an "unfit divider in chief".
Mark Sanford: Comeback to Congress in 2012; lost in GOP primary in 2018.
Justin Amash: Father immigrated as Palestinian refugee.
Justin Amash: I've disenchanted and frightened by hyperpartisanship.
Justin Amash: Leaving the Republican Party to avoid partisan death spiral.
Beto O`Rourke: Listen to voters, not special interests.
Bill Weld: 2016 election: Johnson-Weld exceeded 3.6% of vote in MI & WI.
Michael Bennet: Continue investigations; see if public supports impeachment.
Amy Klobuchar: Hold president accountable with investigations & election.
Bill Weld: Quit Reagan Justice Department over ethics scandals.
Mike Pence: No problem with gays; they just say so for publicity.
Pete Buttigieg: If I had been given a choice, I would have not been gay.
Mike Gravel: Push Dems toward sensible views on political reform.
Pete Buttigieg: National service can unite Americans.
Bill Weld: Government leaders should inspire and unite, not divide.
Kamala Harris: FactCheck: Constitutionally eligible to run for presidency.
Bernie Sanders: Mainstream media prefers "realistic" candidates over Bernie.
Donald Trump: OpEd: Beat the mainstream media by reframing.
Howie Hawkins: Third parties force issues neglected by major parties.
Eric Garcetti: There ARE two Americas: Washington DC, and the rest of us.
Mark Sanford: Trump's payoff to porn star "deeply troubling".
John Kasich: Two-party system no longer appeals to majority of voters.
Oprah Winfrey: Follows avant-garde version of an all-accepting religion.
Deval Patrick: Joined Bain Capital, lecture tour "Reinvesting in America".
Lindsey Graham: I did not vote for Trump for President in 2016.
Mike Pence: Founded PAC Great America Committee" separate from Trump.
Lincoln Chafee: Focus on pocketbook issues; be flexible on social issues.
Lincoln Chafee: Voted for Bush41 in 2004 as protest against Bush43.
Michael Bennet: No particular religion nor congregation but believes in God.
Michael Bennet: Raised in two different heritages, Jewish and Christian.
Marianne Williamson: Politics steeped in religion is divisive.
Andrew Yang: Fund Freedom Dividend payments with 10% VAT.
Tom Steyer: Great countries don't break their major promises.
Amy Klobuchar: Proposed new retirement accounts for those without.
Cory Booker: Raise the cap on Social Security taxes to fund system.
Amy Klobuchar: Address national debt without cutting entitlements.
Joe Biden: Freeze entitlements; don't favor special interests.
Bill de Blasio: Favors tax increases on wealthy.
Andrew Yang: Fund programs from tech companies now paying no tax.
Howard Schultz: Would increase taxes on rich, sketchy on details.
Bill Weld: Cut capital gains tax; look at flat tax on income.
Elizabeth Warren: Comparison of Trump wealth tax to Warren wealth tax.
Eric Swalwell: The wealthy should pay more taxes.
Elizabeth Warren: 2% wealth tax on assets over $50M; 3% over $1B.
Mike Bloomberg: Wealth tax is counterproductive and unconstitutional.
Julian Castro: Raise the top marginal tax rate; negotiate the numbers.
John Delaney: Increase marginal rate, tax investments like income.
Kamala Harris: Payments to needy, not tax breaks for the rich.
John Kasich: Reduce tax withholding by 3.1%.
David Koch: Spending $20M to popularize Trump's $1.5 trillion tax cut.
Oprah Winfrey: Resents the high taxes the government makes her pay.
Paul Ryan: GOP tax cut saves $700 for people earning $30,000.
Tom Steyer: Tax reform bill keeps the rich happy but hurts middle class.
Lincoln Chafee: Ordinary Republicans vote against their economic interests.
Tom Steyer: Implement 1 percent annual wealth tax on America's richest.
Deval Patrick: Called for cutting state sales tax, hiking income tax.
Mike Gravel: I advocate a FairTax: pay as you spend.
Amy Klobuchar: Users of social media should be able to control their data.
Jay Inslee: Regulate internet to protect privacy & net neutrality.
Bill Weld: Teach skill sets for tech jobs of the future.
Lincoln Chafee: Let's join the rest of the world and go metric.
War & Peace|
Pete Buttigieg: Would use force, but need to think of the consequences.
Joe Walsh: Withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan.
Donald Trump: Syria pullout: Let Turks & Kurds fight, then pull them apart.
Bill Weld: Unlimited military aid to Ukraine against Russian incursion.
Bill Weld: Supports Israeli-Palestinian two-state solution.
Bill Weld: Withdrawing from Iran nuke deal was a colossal blunder.
Bill Weld: Partial sanction relief for partial Korean denuclearization.
Joe Walsh: Congress must have a say in military force overseas.
Lincoln Chafee: Disarmament, non-proliferation where we want to go.
Joe Biden: FactCheck:No, didn't oppose Iraq War right after war started.
Pete Buttigieg: Be more judicious when committing troops.
Mike Pence: North Korea must abandon its nuclear ambitions.
Andrew Yang: Limited foreign intervention; restore Congress's role in war.
Julian Castro: Don't entangle ourselves in wars, but rebuild alliances.
Amy Klobuchar: Supported regime change in Libya; supports Israeli military.
Bernie Sanders: Cut military spending, except F-35 at Vermont air base.
Cory Booker: End intervention in Yemen & Iran, but not Israel.
Elizabeth Warren: No intervention in Yemen; but intervention in Gaza OK.
Jay Inslee: Opposed war in Iraq; opposed use of torture.
Joe Biden: Supported wars in Iraq & Afghanistan, but not Iran.
Kamala Harris: Ok with Israeli settlements in Palestinian territory.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Withdraw from Yemen; Withdraw from Afghanistan.
Marianne Williamson: Stop relying on brute force internationally.
Tulsi Gabbard: No regime change in Iran; no war in Yemen.
Andrew Yang: Repeal post-9/11 Authorization for Use of Military Force.
Beto O`Rourke: Discuss U.S. policy in Syria in a more meaningful way.
Pete Buttigieg: U.S. not the guarantor of peace in Afghanistan.
Donald Trump: Countries hosting US troops should pay for them.
Bernie Sanders: End Syrian conflict; pull out U.S. troops.
Bill Weld: Supports non-nuclear proliferation efforts.
Bill Weld: Don't use military for regime change.
Amy Klobuchar: Keep US military presence in Syria.
John Delaney: Withdraw military aid from Saudi forces fighting in Yemen.
Kamala Harris: Time for a political solution in Afghanistan.
Elizabeth Warren: Withdraw US troops from Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Withdraw from Afghanistan & Syria.
Kirsten Gillibrand: End military aid to Saudi Arabia to attack Yemen.
Tulsi Gabbard: End US support for Saudi-led conflict in Yemen.
Julian Castro: Withdraw US troops from Syria.
Donald Trump: We've beaten ISIS in Syria; bring US troops home.
Lindsey Graham: Hearings on Trump's decision to withdraw troops from Syria.
John Kasich: Keep up pressure on North Korea to give up nukes.
John Kasich: Balance cooperation and confrontation with China.
John Kasich: Forward-deploy US forces in the Pacific to challenge China.
John Kasich: War on terror should focus on threats to US homeland.
Lindsey Graham: Damage from war with North Korea would be worth it.
Tom Steyer: Trump foreign policy strategy is to react, not think.
Oprah Winfrey: Gave post-9/11 platform to anti-war advocates.
Tulsi Gabbard: Use military to fight terrorists, not for regime change.
Tulsi Gabbard: Opposes fighting in Afghanistan & Syria; end arms to Saudis.
Donald Trump: To eradicate ISIS, we need action, not talk.
John Kasich: Eradicate leadership of North Korea but no military strike.
Bill Weld: Supports libertarian "restraint" on military action.
Lincoln Chafee: Calls drone strikes "extrajudicial assassinations".
Lincoln Chafee: Neocon advocates for invasions are "delusional".
Lincoln Chafee: Iraq: There was "no evidence" of WMDs, it was a hoax.
Lincoln Chafee: Iraq war was on hawks' wish list; feared another Vietnam.
Donald Trump: Walk away from Iranian nuclear talks; increase sanctions.
Mike Gravel: Dislodge ourselves from Iraq, by working with Iran & Syria.
Marianne Williamson: Form Department of Peace to pro-actively plan.
Lincoln Chafee: Iraq war wasn't about WMDs, but changing Middle East.
Welfare & Poverty|
Andrew Yang: Increase affordable housing; get localities to change zoning.
Andrew Yang: Freedom Dividend: create a universal basic income.
Bill Weld: Have private sector take over social services.
Cory Booker: HOME Act: $134 billion a year via EITC for people in poverty.
Oprah Winfrey: Used lessons learned growing up in poverty to propel herself.
The above quotations are from Interviews during 2017-2019, interviewing presidential hopefuls for 2020.
More citations for 2020 presidential contenders (sources for issue excerpts):
- Atlantic Magazine, "John Delaney Is Playing the Long Game," by Elaine Godfrey, Dec. 10, 2018
- The Atlantic, "John Kasich Searches For His Place In the GOP," by Dick Polman, Dec 3, 2018
- The Nation magazine, "Breaking the Boundaries of 2-Party Politics in New York," by John Nichols, Nov 1, 2018
- Atlantic Magazine, "Kamala Harris's Trump-Size Tax Plan," Oct. 18, 2018
- CNN Town Hall Meeting with Beto O'Rourke, aired 7-8pm, October 18, 2018
- Kaiser Family Foundation, "Public Plan Buy-In Proposals," by Karen Pollitz, Oct 9, 2018
- White House press release, "WTAS: Support for President Trump's Successful Trade Negotiations with Mexico and Canada," Oct. 2, 2018
- The Hill, "America First message at UN," by John Bowden, Sept. 26, 2018
- The Atlantic, "Hickenlooper Is the Antithesis of Trump," by Kyle Trygstad, Sep. 18, 2018
- Atlantic Magazine, "Elizabeth Warren's Theory of Capitalism," by Franklin Foer, Aug. 28, 2018
- NBC4 WCMH TV Columbus, “Kasich looking to put more money in the pockets of Ohio workers,” by Jason Aubry, Aug 13, 2018
- Jacobin Magazine, "Joe Biden, Neoliberal Democrat," 8/7/18
- Jacobin Magazine, "Joe Biden: Military Hawk," 8/2/18
- Ohio Statehouse News Bureau, "Farmers Take On Kasich's Regulations To Clean Up Lake Erie," by Andy Chow, July 18, 2018
- Foreign Affairs (policy journal), "Reclaiming Global Leadership," by Governor John Kasich, 6/6/2018
- CBS Boston, "Starbucks CEO Steps Down, May Consider Run For President," by Nathaniel Meyersohn, June 4, 2018
- Politico.com, "Patrick plans 2020 decision by end of the year", by Lauren Dezenski, 06/04/2018
- Los Angeles Times, "Eric Garcetti, still weighing a presidential run, delivers commencement address in N.H.," by Cindy Chang, May 13, 2018
- NYC.gov Mayoral press release, "Strengthening Protections Against Sexual Harassment", 5/9/2018
- The Nation magazine, "Why Won't Lincoln Chafee Support Robert Mueller?," by Bob Dreyfuss, May 2, 2018
- The Daily Beast blog, "Stormy Daniels Situation 'Very Troubling'," by Mark Sanford, 03.07.18
- CNN, “Kasich to Trump: 'Take some steps' on gun control,” by Eli Watkins, February 18, 2018
- Mother Jones magazine, "Crime Just Keeps on Dropping In NYC," by Kevin Drum, Dec 28, 2017
- Medium.com e-zine, "Financial Discipline Missing in Latest Budge," by Rep. Mark Sanford, Nov 1, 2017
- Politico.com, "Steve Bullock and the Lost Art of Political Persuasion," by Gabriel Debenedetti, October 11, 2017
- The Week magazine, "Lincoln Chafee, last of the WASPs," by Matthew Walther, July 3, 2017
- Jacobin Magazine, "Tulsi Gabbard Is Not Your Friend," by Branko Marcetic, 5/27/2017
- CNN, "Kasich on North Korea: 'Eradicate the leadership'," by Caroline Kenny, April 28, 2017
- Reuters, "Trump backs away from labeling China a currency manipulator," by David Lawder, 4/12/2017
- The Atlantic, "The Organization That Sent Tulsi Gabbard to Syria," by Yasmeen Serhan, Jan. 31, 2017
- Christian Science Monitor, "Could a small city Indiana mayor be the next DNC chair?", by Amanda Hoover, January 8, 2017
- Slate.com, "The Crazy Republican-Endorsed Logic Behind 'If Trump Loses, I'm Grabbing My Musket'." by Mark Joseph Stern, Oct 26, 2016
- USA Today, "Congress should tax wealthy 1 percenters like me to combat cheating like Trump's," by Tom Steyer, 10/22/2016
- Atlantic Magazine, "Breakfast With Bill Weld," by Molly Ball, Oct. 3, 2016
- The Daily Beast blog, "GOP Rep, Trump Supporter: Release Your Tax Returns," by Mark Sanford, 08.15.16
- South Bend Tribune, "South Bend Releases Diversity Plan," by Erin Blasko, 7/19/16
- The New York Observer, "De Blasio Rips Trans Pacific Partnership," by Jillian Jorgensen, 4/7/2016
- Vox.com, "Did Linc use $7.96 in public funds on frogs?," by Dylan Matthews, Oct 16, 2015
- Newsweek, "The Democratic Presidential Candidates' Records on Gun Control," by Polly Mosendz, 10/13/15
- Reason magazine, "Tonight's Democratic Debate: Your Guide to the Also-Rans," by Jesse Walker, 10.13.2015
- ABC This Week, "Meet Lincoln Chafee: Everything You Need to Know (And Probably Didn't Know)," by Veronica Stracqualursi, 7/26/15
- The New Republic, "Minutes: Tom Steyer Jumpstart," by Rebecca Leber, July 2015
- Daily Beast e-zine, "Ambitious Obscurity: The Lincoln Chafee Story," by Olivia Nuzzi, Jun. 25, 2015
- Mic Network, "Mayor Pete Buttigieg comes out as gay in must-read op-ed," by Tom McKay, 6.16.2015
- Human Events magazine, "California Drivers Taken for Ride by Liberal Billionaire Tom Steyer," by Brian McNicoll, 5/26/15
- Reason magazine, "Chafee Will Probably Get Eaten Alive by Hillary Clinton, But Take a Look Anyway," by Scott Shackford, 4.16.2015
- Religion News Service, "de Blasio adds Muslim holidays to NYC public school calendar," March 5, 2015
- The New Republic, "Tom Steyer Is the Devil," by Rebecca Leber, February 27, 2015
- The Atlantic, "Colorado's Governor on Marijuana Legalization," by Conor Friedersdorf, Jul 1, 2014
- Chicago Sun-Times, "Ex-Rep. Joe Walsh 'kicked off the air' over racist terms on radio," by Mitch Dudek, 06/20/2014
- The Economist magazine, "The right to bear arms is not absolute," Sep 18, 2013
- Slate magazine, "GOP Rep Says 'Technology and Science' Make Abortion Exceptions Moot," by JEFFREY BLOOMER , 10/19/2012
- Washington Times, "Myth of a two-state solution," by Rep. Joe Walsh, May 3, 2012
- Huffington Post, "Joe Walsh: Veterans In Occupy Movement 'Don't Understand This Country'," by Jen Sabella, 11/20/2011
- Fox News, "Your World with Cavuto," interview of Joe Walsh by Neil Cavuto. Oct. 26, 2011
- House press release: "Rep. Walsh Introduces Bill to Index Capital Gains Tax to Inflation," Sept. 16, 2011
- House press release: "Rep. Walsh Statement on Support of Massive Spending Cuts in Department of Defense Appropriations Bill," 7/8/11
- National Review, "Bennet's Views on Religion," by Michael Sandoval, October 28, 2010
- National Review magazine, "Gravel the Liberaltarian?," by David Freddoso, August 1, 2007
- Human Events magazine, "College Speaker Urges 'Department of Peace'," by F. Flickinger, May 3, 2006
- Counterpunch, "Why Aren't the Democrats Screaming Bloody Murder?" by Laura Santina, October 29, 2005
- USA Today, "Senate candidate admits cocaine use: Lincoln Chafee," by Associated Press, 08/23/99
- Mother Jones magazine, "Faith: Marianne Williamson Is Full of It," Nov/Dec 1997
- Yet more excerpts from the 2019-2020 presidential race? See....
- 2019 Democratic primaries (focus on the early competition for the Democratic party nomination)
- 2019-20 Democratic race (focus on issue positioning through the caucuses and primaries)
- 2020 "Veepstakes" (focus on competition for vice-presidential nominations)