Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Florida
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 House FL elections (number of quotes indicated):
- Alan Grayson (2) Democratic Senate candidate Florida
- Darren Soto (1) Democrat U.S. Rep Florida- 9
- Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (2) Democrat U.S. Rep Florida- 26
- Donna Shalala (4) Democrat U.S. Rep Florida- 27
- Greg Steube (33) Republican U.S. Rep Florida- 17
- Mario Diaz-Balart (1) Republican U.S. Rep Florida-25
- Matt Gaetz (1) Republican U.S. Rep Florida- 1
- Michael Waltz (30) Republican U.S. Rep Florida- 6
- Ross Spano (33) Republican U.S. Rep Florida- 15
- Ted Deutch (1) Democrat U.S. Rep Florida-21
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2018 Florida House race news coverage:
- FL-9: Orlando Sentinel, "EPA's Clean Water Act rollbacks must be stopped," by Jenna Stevens and Darren Soto, May 07, 2020
- FL-1: The Motley Fool e-zine, "Marijuana Industry's Inclusion in Future Coronavirus Relief Packages," by Eric Volkman, Apr 18, 2020
- FL-22: The Jewish News, "The Truth About TruNews," by Berl Falbaum, 03/02/2020
- FL-25: Washington Blade, "House votes to defund trans military ban in rebuke to Trump," by Chris Johnson, June 18, 2019
- FL-26, Floridian Press, "Mucarsel-Powell, Scott tackle costs of prescription drugs," by Javier Manjarres, 06/17/2019
- FL-27: University of Miami News, “On home turf, Shalala stays focused on policy,” by Maya Bell, 3/20/2019
- FL-27: The New Tropic, “Voter guide: November 2018 Midterm Elections,” 10/22/2018
- FL-27: WJCT Public Media, “Politics In The Sunshine Economy,” by Tom Hudson, 10/2/2018
- FL-6: Florida Daily, "Can a Green Beret 'Waltz' into Congress in Northeast Florida?," by Mike Synan, Sept. 9, 2018
- FL-6: The Daily Commercial (Leesburg), "GOP candidate decries 'carpetbaggers' in race for Congress," by Mark Harper, August 2, 2018
- FL-6: Daytona Beach News-Journal, "Congressional candidates' stances on semiautomatic weapons," by Mark Harper, Feb. 16, 2018
Special coverage of "Blue Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 6 Democrats and 5 Democratic takeovers
- FL: 5 new House members including 2 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MI: 5 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MN: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers (and 1 Republican takeover!)
- NJ: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- NY: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- PA: 7 new House members including 4 Democrats and 4 Democratic takeovers (with statewide redistricting)
- TX: 10 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- VA: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- All other states: 51 new House members including 17 Democratic takeovers
Conclusion: the "Blue Wave" means Democrats took over Congress but the rest is media hype.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Greg Steube: As a Christian, I am strongly pro-Life.
Greg Steube: A rating from Florida Right to Life.
Ross Spano: Protect survivors of abortion procedures.
Ross Spano: Not one cent of taxes to fund abortion.
Greg Steube: Life begins at conception; exception only for maternal life.
Michael Waltz: Life begins at conception; only exception is maternal life.
Ross Spano: Life begins at conception; exception only for maternal life.
Budget & Economy|
Greg Steube: Remove regulatory red tape hindering small business.
Greg Steube: Pass a balanced budget; then promote free market.
Michael Waltz: Pass a balanced budget; focus on limited government.
Ross Spano: Pass a balanced budget, then low taxes & low regulations.
Mario Diaz-Balart: Allow transgender people in the military.
Ross Spano: Equality Act (overruling Bathroom Bill) is bad for freedom.
Greg Steube: Trans women do not belong in women's sports.
Ross Spano: Red tape & taxes killing small business.
Greg Steube: Introduced bill to improve detection & prevention of threats.
Greg Steube: Supports the death penalty.
Michael Waltz: Supports the death penalty.
Ross Spano: Supports the death penalty.
Michael Waltz: Endorsed by Police Chief and County Sheriff.
Greg Steube: Reschedule marijuana to allow further research.
Matt Gaetz: Relief for marijuana industry, including SBA assistance.
Greg Steube: Veterans who use marijuana are entitled to VA.
Greg Steube: Education should be left to the states.
Michael Waltz: School choice means access to a quality school.
Ross Spano: More school choice; reintroduce vocational education.
Michael Waltz: Education will be a top priority; wants the best for kids.
Greg Steube: No tuition-free public college.
Michael Waltz: No tuition-free public college.
Ross Spano: No tuition-free public college.
Energy & Oil|
Ross Spano: OpEd: Spano against progress on climate change.
Michael Waltz: We need to deal with the effects of warming Earth.
Greg Steube: Regulating climate change is not a government responsibility.
Michael Waltz: Regulating climate change is not a government responsibility.
Ross Spano: Regulating climate change is not a government responsibility.
Darren Soto: Called on EPA to maintain & strengthen Clean Water Act.
Donna Shalala: Agrees with the proponents and goals of the Green New Deal.
Families & Children|
Greg Steube: Marriages are one-man-one-woman; so are bathrooms.
Michael Waltz: Marriages are one-man-one-woman; so are bathrooms.
Ross Spano: Marriages are one-man-one-woman; so are bathrooms.
Greg Steube: Protect our sovereignty from the United Nations.
Michael Waltz: Protect our sovereignty from the United Nations.
Ross Spano: Protect our sovereignty from the United Nations.
Alan Grayson: Visited 180 countries, and every country in Latin America.
Donna Shalala: Trump tariffs are hurting Miami companies.
Greg Steube: Small business should have a say in regulatory process.
Greg Steube: Fervent supporter of the 2nd Amendment.
Greg Steube: More pro-gun bills than any Florida legislator.
Greg Steube: Gun Free zones leave Floridians defenseless.
Ross Spano: Background checks infringe Second Amendment.
Ross Spano: NRA congratulates Spano on re-election & pro-gun record.
Greg Steube: More restrictive gun control doesn't protect public safety.
Michael Waltz: More restrictive gun control doesn't protect public safety.
Ross Spano: More restrictive gun control doesn't protect public safety.
Michael Waltz: Gun-free zones create soft targets; more security at schools.
Greg Steube: ObamaCare is biggest problem in healthcare industry today.
Debbie Mucarsel-Powell: TERM Act: lower prescription drug costs.
Ross Spano: ObamaCare a failure: repeal and replace.
Ross Spano: Vets should be able to take VA benefits to any provider.
Donna Shalala: Defend & improve ACA; create "Medicare Option for All".
Michael Waltz: Work to find the answers to lower cost of healthcare.
Debbie Mucarsel-Powell: Make sure every American can afford their healthcare.
Greg Steube: Health insurance via free market, not via government.
Michael Waltz: Health insurance is not a government responsibility.
Michael Waltz: Health insurance is not a government responsibility.
Ross Spano: Insurance across state lines & via business associations.
Greg Steube: Opposes Affordable Care Act insurance mandate.
Greg Steube: Peace maintained via a strong military.
Michael Waltz: Peace maintained via a strong military.
Michael Waltz: Top priority is to increase service to country without draft.
Ross Spano: Peace maintained via a strong military.
Greg Steube: Secure border; ban sanctuary cities.
Ross Spano: Secure borders; stop illegal immigration.
Ross Spano: Pathway toward citizenship; but not automatic amnesty.
Michael Waltz: Work on responsible plan to secure our border.
Greg Steube: Build the border wall, not sanctuary cities.
Michael Waltz: Build the border wall, not sanctuary cities.
Ross Spano: Build the border wall, not sanctuary cities.
Michael Waltz: Key to good jobs is to reduce regulations & keep taxes low.
Greg Steube: Livable income is not a government responsibility.
Michael Waltz: De-regulating reduces unemployment, not "Livable income".
Ross Spano: Low taxes reduce unemployment, not "livable income".
Principles & Values|
Ted Deutch: Question White House credentials for anti-Semitic website.
Ross Spano: His priorities, in order: God, his family and his country.
Greg Steube: Our limited government established by Judeo-Christian values.
Michael Waltz: Our limited government established by Judeo-Christian values.
Ross Spano: Our limited government established by Judeo-Christian values.
Ross Spano: Don't change benefits for those at, near retirement.
Ross Spano: Keep Promise to our seniors; don't change benefits.
Greg Steube: Privatize Social Security for future generations.
Michael Waltz: Raise retirement age; adjust benefit formula.
Ross Spano: Self-directed, defined contribution retirement plan.
Michael Waltz: Go after entitlements, but others besides Social Security.
Michael Waltz: Fight to lower taxes and reduce regulations.
Greg Steube: Lower taxes on businesses; flat tax to replace tax code.
Michael Waltz: Supports FairTax.
Ross Spano: I believe in a fair, flat, consumption tax.
Donna Shalala: SMART plan: More federal funds for rapid transit buses.
War & Peace|
Greg Steube: Supports lower taxes for veterans.
Greg Steube: Congressional approval slows action on Iran.
Ross Spano: US withdrawal from Syria creates instability.
Ross Spano: Maintain funding for military training & equipment.
Michael Waltz: Don't let ISIS reconstitute; stay in Syria & Iraq.
Michael Waltz: National security adviser to Vice President Cheney.
Greg Steube: Help defend Israel; sanctions against terrorist states.
Michael Waltz: Help defend Israel; undermine ideology of radical Islam.
Ross Spano: Help defend Israel; eliminate radical Islamic terrorists.
Alan Grayson: Sued those who profited illegally from the war in Iraq.
The above quotations are from News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Florida.