Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Pennsylvania
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 House PA elections (number of quotes indicated):
- Chrissy Houlahan (8) Democrat U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 6
- Conor Lamb (18) Democrat U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 17
- Dan Meuser (22) Republican U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 9
- Fred Keller (8) Republican U.S. Rep Pennsylvania-12
- Guy Reschenthaler (7) Republican U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 14
- John Joyce (5) Republican U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 13
- Lloyd Smucker (4) Republican U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 11
- Madeleine Dean (4) Democrat U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 4
- Madeline Dean (1)
- Mary Gay Scanlon (9) Democrat U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 5
- Susan Wild (11) Democrat U.S. Rep Pennsylvania- 7
- Tim Murphy (1) Republican U.S. Rep Pennsylvania-18
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2018 Pennsylvania House race news coverage:
- PA-7: WFMZ 69 News (Lehigh Valley), "Susan Wild appointed to House Foreign Affairs Committee," 1/18/2019
- PA-6: Daily Local News, "Senior life: Congressional candidates weigh in on entitlement reform," by Lucas Rodgers, 10/25/2018
- PA-7: NBC Philadelphia, "Susan Wild, Running for Pennsylvania's 7th", 10/15/2018
- PA-9: Wilkes-Barre Citizens' Voice, "Meuser supports conservative values," by John E. Usalis, May 14, 2018
- PA-9: The Sunbury Daily Item, "Candidates for Pennsylvania 9th vow to get things done,", by Rick Dandes, May 5, 2018
- PA-5: Al Dia News, "Mary Gay Scanlon: Correcting Course", by David Maas, 10/24/2018
- PA-11: Harrisburg Patriot-News, "Candidate for Lou Barletta's seat makes first campaign stop in Dauphin County," by Barbara Miller, Sep. 7, 2017
- PA-7: CNBC, "Trump's tariffs take a toll on farmers", by Jacob Pramuk, 7/18/2018
- PA-5: Philadelphia Inquirer, "Scanlon, the education advocate running for Congress", by Holly Otterbein, 5/9/18
- PA-7: The Morning Call, " Susan Wild, Democratic candidate for Congress", by Laura Olson and Nicole Radzievich, 3/30/2018
Special coverage of "Blue Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 6 Democrats and 5 Democratic takeovers
- FL: 5 new House members including 2 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MI: 5 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MN: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers (and 1 Republican takeover!)
- NJ: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- NY: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- PA: 7 new House members including 4 Democrats and 4 Democratic takeovers (with statewide redistricting)
- TX: 10 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- VA: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- All other states: 51 new House members including 17 Democratic takeovers
Conclusion: the "Blue Wave" means Democrats took over Congress but the rest is media hype.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Madeline Dean: Supports women in their right to control their own bodies.
Dan Meuser: Legal protection for innocent human life at every stage.
Conor Lamb: Personally opposes abortion but will support it politically.
Budget & Economy|
Dan Meuser: Economy should work for everyone, including middle class.
Lloyd Smucker: Supports balanced budget, tax cuts, and less regulation.
Fred Keller: Stop the brain drain: encourage new businesses.
Dan Meuser: Lower taxes and fewer burdensome regulations.
John Joyce: Tax relief for middle-class, not corporations & lobbyists.
Mary Gay Scanlon: Focus should be on rehabilitation not punishment.
Conor Lamb: Pursue and prosecute the criminals; aid the victims.
Susan Wild: Drug abuse is a medical, not criminal problem.
Dan Meuser: Address opioid supply; harm reduction; and recovery.
Conor Lamb: Urgent action to bring Rx painkillers & dealers to justice.
Guy Reschenthaler: Medical marijuana relieves veteran suffering from PTSD.
Fred Keller: Passionate leader for public education.
Dan Meuser: Stop school property taxes; they're crushing people.
Chrissy Houlahan: Work to fund great public schools for our kids.
Madeleine Dean: Fight for universal pre-K & equitable public education.
Mary Gay Scanlon: Top priorities include public education.
Conor Lamb: Student loan system needs major revamping; allow refinancing.
Energy & Oil|
Fred Keller: Don't tax natural gas industry to fund other energy business.
Dan Meuser: Comprehensive domestic energy policy.
Conor Lamb: Supports energy development; government shouldn't impede it.
Fred Keller: Champion for the agriculture industry & farming heritage.
Fred Keller: Support Waterway Conservancy; oppose tire burning facility.
Mary Gay Scanlon: Strengthen EPA with more testing and enforcement.
Susan Wild: Supports EPA and making environmentalism bipartisan again.
Guy Reschenthaler: Supported Libre's Law: increased penalties for animal abuse.
Conor Lamb: Pro-environment but supports fracking.
Families & Children|
Mary Gay Scanlon: Helping women around the world key to helping their kids.
Susan Wild: Important to build relationships with other countries.
Dan Meuser: I believe in conservatism and the `America First' agenda.
Dan Meuser: Supports free trade in global economy but must be fair also.
Susan Wild: Hold China accountable; open mind about tariffs.
Conor Lamb: New tariffs on steel/aluminum will level the playing field.
Dan Meuser: For Congressional term limits and ban on earmarks.
Chrissy Houlahan: Simplify voter registration; extend early voting.
Chrissy Houlahan: Get big money out of our campaigns, plus more disclosure.
Conor Lamb: Right to vote is the foundation of our entire democracy.
Dan Meuser: Voter ID to ensure that one person only gets one vote.
John Joyce: Voter ID to fight 100,000 illegally registered voters.
Madeleine Dean: Voter ID laws limit who has access to the ballot box.
Mary Gay Scanlon: Expand voting rights; overturn barriers to access the ballot.
Susan Wild: Get dark money out of politics.
Susan Wild: Protect Social Security at all costs.
Susan Wild: National holiday for elections; automatic voter registration.
Mary Gay Scanlon: Guns are a public health issue: get guns off the street.
Dan Meuser: Lifetime NRA member; will fight for 2nd Amendment rights.
Dan Meuser: Fight to protect the rights of the unborn.
Madeleine Dean: Universal background checks & assault weapons ban.
Conor Lamb: Put the background check law into full effect.
Lloyd Smucker: Repeal ObamaCare & return regulatory power to states.
Mary Gay Scanlon: Repair and expand Affordable Care Act to universal coverage.
Chrissy Houlahan: Increase access to quality, affordable healthcare.
Dan Meuser: Fight to repeal and replace ObamaCare.
John Joyce: Repeal ObamaCare, but no changes to Medicare.
Susan Wild: Establish a Medicare-for-All system.
Dan Meuser: Need affordable health care; allow competition across states.
Conor Lamb: Fix broken parts of ObamaCare, don't kill the entire package.
Lloyd Smucker: ObamaCare is a failure because insurance costs increased.
Fred Keller: Passionate supporter for our nation's veterans.
Chrissy Houlahan: Respect for vets means Trump shows up on Veterans Day.
Guy Reschenthaler: Won 13 death penalty cases against terrorists in Iraq.
Dan Meuser: Veterans deserve a VA department that does not fail them.
Guy Reschenthaler: Ban sanctuary cities and stop illegal immigration.
Mary Gay Scanlon: Create pathway to citizenship for resident immigrants.
Dan Meuser: Ban immigration from countries identified as bad actors.
Dan Meuser: Build wall on southern border; stop illegals at all entries.
Conor Lamb: Census is too important to be affected by partisan politics.
Susan Wild: Census citizenship questions lead to under-counting.
Conor Lamb: Work with the illegal immigrants; get them out of the dark.
Fred Keller: Apply local prevailing wage only for projects over $100,000.
Guy Reschenthaler: Encourages job creation by cutting regulations and red tape.
Conor Lamb: Unions secure benefits and get jobs done.
Conor Lamb: Fight for job training to prepare people for real jobs.
Principles & Values|
Tim Murphy: Girlfriend got divorced due to his extramarital affair.
Chrissy Houlahan: Social Security is a critical part of US safety net.
Susan Wild: Protect and strengthen Social Security; no voucher schemes.
Dan Meuser: Protect Social Security for retired and near retirement.
Conor Lamb: Preserve and protect Social Security and Medicare.
John Joyce: Social Security and Medicare are promises made.
Conor Lamb: Fight all attempts to cut into social security benefits.
Fred Keller: Continually fought tax increase proposals.
Guy Reschenthaler: Making the tax cuts permanent will benefit American workers.
Dan Meuser: Supports Trump's tax cuts & regulation cuts.
Conor Lamb: Opposes tax bill for throwing crumbs to the middle class.
Guy Reschenthaler: Voted yes to cut taxes for top 1%.
Chrissy Houlahan: We need to prioritize a big infrastructure bill.
Chrissy Houlahan: Full funding for the Census; don't politicize it.
Dan Meuser: Fully fund census to get a truly accurate count.
John Joyce: Census should count CITIZENS and ask about citizenship.
Madeleine Dean: Don't use census as a tool to scare immigrants.
Mary Gay Scanlon: Full funding of the Census & no additional questions.
Dan Meuser: A problem solver who supports the infrastructure bill.
Susan Wild: Create jobs with government investment in infrastructure.
Conor Lamb: We cannot put off infrastructure investment any longer.
War & Peace|
Lloyd Smucker: Strong pro-Israel stance: supports US embassy in Jerusalem.
Dan Meuser: His foreign policy axiom is "speak softly--carry big stick".
The above quotations are from News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in Pennsylvania.