2014 Connecticut Gubernatorial debates and race coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 Connecticut Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Dan Malloy (6) Connecticut Democratic Governor
- Tom Foley (23) Connecticut Republican challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Connecticut Gubernatorial race:
- Wall Street Journal, "Foley, McKinney Trade Sharp Exchanges in Debate," by Joseph De Avila, Aug. 10, 2014
- Huffington Post, "Tom Foley Really Doesn't Want To Discuss Gun Control," by Sabrina Siddiqui, Aug. 7, 2014
- Connecticut Mirror, "Foley-McKinney debate echoes their TV ads", by Mark Pazniokas, July 17, 2014
- New Haven Register, "Foley digs deep on budget fixes", by Mary E. O’Leary, 6/29/14
- New Haven Register, "Foley makes pitch to Connecticut AFL-CIO", by Mary E. O’Leary, 6/16/14
- The Hartford Courant coverage of gubernatorial races, by Daniela Altimari, March 16, 2014
- Connecticut Mirror, "Foley declines pre-convention GOP debates," by Mark Pazniokas, March 13, 2014
- Journal Inquirer editorial, "Foley should put 'climate' complaints in deep freeze", March 5, 2014
- Politico.com, "Malloy and Jindal at White House", by Jennifer Epstein, 2/24/14
- The Hartford Courant, "Looking Ahead: 2014" on Dan Malloy, January 5, 2014
- Connecticut Post coverage of Tom Foley, January 2, 2014
- Hartford Courant, Jon Lender, "Foley Seeks Legislative Probe of DECD", January 2, 2014
- The Connecticut Mirror coverage, 12/16, 12/18, 12/30, and 12/31/2013;
- The Connecticut Mirror AdWatch 11/11/2013
- Daily Kos coverage, 4/15/2013, and AdWatch, 11/11/2013
- Norwich Bulletin coverage, 9/20/2010
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Tom Foley: Pro-choice.
Budget & Economy|
Tom Foley: AdWatch: Malloy's policies drive jobs out of state.
Tom Foley: Maintain gay marriage law, although personally against it.
Tom Foley: We pay huge sums in corporate welfare to keep jobs in CT.
Tom Foley: Investigate Economic and Community Development loan fraud.
Dan Malloy: Businesses should suggest which state regulations to abandon.
Dan Malloy: Small Business Express Program: grants for 944 companies.
Tom Foley: Small Business Express Program is too generous with aid.
Tom Foley: Criticized for bankruptcy of a Georgia textile mill.
Tom Foley: Veto efforts to repeal the death penalty.
Tom Foley: Arrested twice for motor vehicle incidents.
Tom Foley: In-district public school choice, money follows the child.
Tom Foley: Charters are part of the solution, but not whole solution.
Tom Foley: Local control instead of Common Core mandates.
Energy & Oil|
Dan Malloy: Moving Canadian oil thru the US is not best for the economy.
Families & Children|
Dan Malloy: 21-year-old son arrested in robbery, suffering depression.
Dan Malloy: Trade trips to China to promote aerospace & bioscience.
Tom Foley: AdWatch: Complains about ethics, but was fined for PAC.
Tom Foley: 2010: criticized public campaign financing; 2014: accepts it.
Tom Foley: Enough on gun control; focus on preventing another Newtown.
Tom Foley: Supports 2nd amendment but require reporting stolen firearms.
Tom Foley: Post costs for treatments to give consumers options.
Tom Foley: Appoint veteran-friendly Commissioner of Veterans Affairs.
Tom Foley: Pledge not to change public employee collective bargaining.
Principles & Values|
Tom Foley: 1981: Arrested for 1st-degree attempted assault in car crash.
Tom Foley: Will not participate in primary debates.
Tom Foley: AdWatch: NYC residents should move to CT under new governor.
Tom Foley: Partial facial paralysis means he smiles on only left side.
Dan Malloy: Invest in Jackson Labs & Bioscience Connecticut.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Dan Malloy Connecticut Democratic Governor
- Tom Foley Connecticut Republican challenger
The above quotations are from 2014 Connecticut Gubernatorial debates and race coverage.
2014 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)