2014 Maine Gubernatorial debates and race coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 Maine Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Eliot Cutler (10) Maine Independent Challenger
- Michael Michaud (1) Maine Democratic Challenger
- Mike Michaud (3)
- Paul LePage (11) Maine Republican Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Maine Gubernatorial race:
- Washington Post, "Need food? Maine's governor wants you to work for it," by Niraj Chokshi, July 24, 2014
- Maine Magazine, "Eliot Cutler Profile", by Chelsea Holden Baker, July 2011
- Portland Press Herald, "LePage includes Social Security among ‘welfare' programs", by Eric Russell, 6/26/2014
- Associated Press in The Republic, "Preventing false claims in campaigns", by Alanna Durkin, March 26, 2014
- Maine Sunday Telegram, "Differing views on virtual charter schools", by Eric Russell, March 11, 2014
- Maine Sun Journal, "Lower energy costs", 1/5/14
- Bangor Daily News, "$13 million federal fines", Jan. 3, 2014
- Bangor Daily News, "Gay Rights group endorses Michaud", on Mike Michaud and Eliot Cutler Jan. 2, 2014
- Maine Sun Journal coverage, 12/20/2013
- Bangor Daily News coverage, 12/9/2013
- Portland Press Herald coverage, 12/6/2013
- MPBN Maine Public Broadcasting coverage, 11/25/2013
- Sierra Club Questionnaire and AFL-CIO Questionnaire, (Eliot Cutler responses) 10/16/2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Eliot Cutler: Worked to uphold a law legalizing same-sex marriage.
Michael Michaud: Would be 1st openly gay governor; but evolved on LGBT rights.
Eliot Cutler: Examine corporate tax breaks; avoid clawbacks by better deal.
Eliot Cutler: Cautious support for virtual charter schools.
Paul LePage: Strong support for charter schools, virtual or otherwise.
Paul LePage: Virtual charter schools are not the right answer.
Energy & Oil|
Paul LePage: Build a natural gas pipeline from Canada.
Paul LePage: Global warming helps Maine by opening north shipping lanes.
Eliot Cutler: Reduce carbon emissions to Kyoto Protocol targets.
Paul LePage: Abstain from EPA petition to cut Midwest emissions.
Mike Michaud: AdWatch: Replace LePage with a pro-environment governor.
Eliot Cutler: More bus services, dedicated HOV lanes, and bike routes.
Paul LePage: Change environmental laws to replace red tape with jobs.
Paul LePage: Stop manufacturer recycling; start cost-benefit analyses.
Eliot Cutler: Oppose all efforts to restrict access to the ballot box.
Paul LePage: Vetoed incrementally raising the state's minimum wage.
Mike Michaud: AdWatch: Unions endorse Michaud "to represent Maine workers".
Eliot Cutler: Zealously guard against interference in unionization efforts.
Mike Michaud: Soc. Sec. & Medicare secure retirement; they're not welfare.
Paul LePage: Medicare and Social Security are really just welfare.
Eliot Cutler: Support & strengthen the foundations for Social Security.
Eliot Cutler: Shift burden from property tax as part of strategic reform.
Welfare & Poverty|
Eliot Cutler: We need welfare reform but not demonization of recipients.
Paul LePage: Maine grew at 0.8% if we discount federal welfare payments.
Paul LePage: Maine's TANF welfare system is too generous.
The above quotations are from 2014 Maine Gubernatorial debates and race coverage.
2014 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)