2014 Massachusetts Gubernatorial debates and race coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 Massachusetts Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Charlie Baker (15) Massachusetts Republican Governor
- Deval Patrick (1) Massachusetts Democratic Governor
- Don Berwick (23) Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Martha Coakley (6) Massachusetts Democratic Challenger
- Steve Grossman (12) Massachusetts Democratic Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Massachusetts Gubernatorial race:
- MassLive.com, "Baker will 'vigorously oppose' marijuana", by Shira Schoenberg, November 12, 2014
- MassLive.com, "Final debate analysis", by Garrett Quinn, Oct. 29, 2014
- Boston Globe, "In election's home stretch, a debate with moments of tension", sponsored by the Boston Globe and WGBH, moderatored by Jim Braude and Margery Eagan, Oct. 21, 2014
- WCVB-TV and WBZ-TV coverage, "Candidates for governor joust in Boston debate", on WBZ, Oct 8, 2014
- Mass IEPAC coverage of several debates in "Research Profile on Charlie Baker," released 9/1/2014
- WBUR, "Grossman Gets Dem Endorsement", by Asma Khalid, June 15, 2014
- WWLP 22-News, "Dem guv candidates tangle before convention", by Matt Murphy, June 10, 2014, debate moderated by Suffolk University's John Nucci, and Boston Herald editor Rachelle Cohen.
- ThinkProgress.org, "Berwick Calls For Carbon Tax [but not Coakley]", by Emily Atkin, February 25, 2014
- Medscape One-on-One, "Berwick on CMS, Death Panels," by Eric Topol, February 18, 2014
- Wicked Local Brookline on Steve Grossman roundtable, by Emily Costello, Feb. 14, 2014
- WCVB-TV, "Democrats: No death penalty in marathon bomb case", Feb. 5, 2014
- Jim Morrison in Walpole Times, "Berwick stresses leadership at Suffolk roundtable", Jan. 25, 2014
- BostInnovation.com, "Don Berwick Releases Education Platform", January 28th 2014
- Robert Rizzuto in The Springfield Republican, covering Don Berwick, Jan. 8 & 23, 2014
- South Coast Today, "Martha Coakley supports commuter rail", Jan. 5, 2014
- Boston Herald column on Steve Grossman, 12/31/2013
- Boston Globe coverage by Frank Phillips and Jim OíSullivan, "Conservatives may pull support from Bakerís campaign", 12/6/2013
- Fox 25 Boston on Annie Dookhan case, 10/18/2013
- Huffington Post on statement by four Democratic National Committee chairs, 4/4/2012
- NARAL press release on Steve Grossman, 8/10/2010
- MassResistance.org on Baker-Tisei ticket, 8/4/2010
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Steve Grossman: Endorsed by NARAL as "a steadfast pro-choice voice".
Charlie Baker: I support a woman's right to choose.
Budget & Economy|
Don Berwick: Fought against bank home foreclosures.
Charlie Baker: Running-mate supports existing law on gay marriage.
Steve Grossman: Embrace marriage equality in the Democratic Party platform.
Steve Grossman: OpEd: Combines progressive values with business experience.
Charlie Baker: Seek death penalty for Boston Marathon bomber.
Don Berwick: No death penalty for Boston Marathon bomber.
Steve Grossman: No death penalty for Boston Marathon bomber.
Deval Patrick: Marathon bomber will die in prison, one way or another.
Martha Coakley: Supports seeking federal death penalty for Marathon Bomber.
Charlie Baker: Hold accountable those responsible for state drug lab crisis.
Steve Grossman: 7-year sentence not enough for rogue state lab chemist.
Charlie Baker: Vigorously oppose recreational marijuana but medical pot ok.
Charlie Baker: Get dispensaries open for medical marijuana.
Don Berwick: Rollout of medical marijuana was a management fiasco.
Don Berwick: Student loan forgiveness for grads entering some professions.
Don Berwick: Teachers are not the problem; they are the solution.
Energy & Oil|
Don Berwick: Tax carbon emissions to reduce "undeniable climate crisis".
Don Berwick: Double state investment in clean energy from 0.6% to 1.2%.
Martha Coakley: Supports cap-and-trade, but not a carbon tax.
Steve Grossman: Allocate 1% of state budget to climate change & clean energy.
Don Berwick: The air matters, the water matters; it's all a system.
Families & Children|
Martha Coakley: PACWatch on DCF: not to fix it but to fight it.
Don Berwick: Seeds of kids' success are sown early--beginning prenatally.
Charlie Baker: Declined to sign "People's Pledge" against outside PAC ads.
Charlie Baker: $500 donor limit is crazy; it's suppression of free speech.
Charlie Baker: Let local police chiefs decide who can get shotguns.
Charlie Baker: Expand background checks; no gun unless mentally healthy.
Charlie Baker: Supports tough gun control laws.
Charlie Baker: Push for a state waiver from ObamaCare.
Charlie Baker: Access to health care is a basic right.
Don Berwick: Institute for Healthcare Improvement: focus on quality.
Steve Grossman: Workplace wellness programs are a good investment.
Don Berwick: Triple Aim strategy: improve experience, health, and cost.
Don Berwick: Explore single payer system in Massachusetts.
Martha Coakley: Opposed services for illegal immigrants; now supports them.
Steve Grossman: Local police helping deport illegals is a "blunt instrument".
Steve Grossman: A million MA workers have no earned sick time.
Don Berwick: No one answer to job creation: appoint Czar of Adaptations.
Charlie Baker: One casino is best, but vote "no" on casino repeal.
Don Berwick: Casino gambling cannibalizes the Lottery and costs jobs.
Don Berwick: Only Democrat in race to oppose Gaming Act.
Steve Grossman: Repatriate money from Connecticut's casinos.
Don Berwick: Supports offshore wind farms.
Principles & Values|
Martha Coakley: I know how tough my 2010 Senate loss was for many people.
Steve Grossman: We need a job creator, not a prosecutor, for governor.
Don Berwick: Son of a Connecticut doctor; attended med school in Boston.
Don Berwick: OpEd: "The second most dangerous man in America".
Don Berwick: $600M via gas tax indexing for transportation financing.
Steve Grossman: Create 50,000 "lab coat"-manufacturing jobs.
Don Berwick: Nurture public transportation, resist fare increases.
Don Berwick: Safe, convenient, responsive, reliable transportation system.
Don Berwick: Switch from gas tax to pay-per-use fees on mileage.
Martha Coakley: Supports commuter rail for the South Coast.
Welfare & Poverty|
Charlie Baker: Raise both minimum wage & Earned Income Tax Credit.
Don Berwick: All means all: focus on equality and poverty.
The above quotations are from 2014 Massachusetts Gubernatorial debates and race coverage.
2014 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)