Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2022 Massachusetts Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2022 MA Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Ben Downing (16) Massachusetts Democratic candidate for governor
- Danielle Allen (13) Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Geoff Diehl (8) Massachusetts Republican Challenger
- Maura Healey (27) Massachusetts Democratic candidate for Governor
- Sonia Chang-Diaz (8) Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2022 Massachusetts Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- Provincetown Independent, "Attorney General Says Permits Forbid Release of Reactor Water," by Christine Legere, Feb 9, 2022
- WBUR (Boston National Public Radio), "Meeting the gubernatorial candidates: Attorney General Maura Healey," by Tiziana Dearing, Amanda Bel, and Anthony Brooks, February 03, 2022
- MassLive.com, "Attorney General Maura Healey looks to hold gun manufacturers accountable for facilitating 'dangerous individuals'," by Douglas Hook, Feb. 01, 2022
- WGBH (Boston National Public Radio), "Five key things to know about Maura Healey as she starts her campaign for governor," by Adam Reilly, January 20, 2022
- Dorchester Reporter, "Fare-free buses, electrification anchor Chang-Díaz climate plan," by Katie Lannan, December 23, 2021
- Boston Globe, "Maura Healey speaks out over Mississippi abortion case," by Mihiro Shimano, December 2, 2021
- WBUR, "Healey asks Beacon Hill legislators to overhaul hate crimes statute," by Chris Lisinski, State House News Service, November 23, 2021
- Boston Globe, "Donald Trump endorses Republican Geoff Diehl for Massachusetts governor," by Emma Platoff, October 5, 2021
- The Newburyport Daily News, "Candidates knock Baker's pandemic management from left, right," by Matt Murphy, Aug 28, 2021
- The Berkshire Eagle, "74 members of Massachusetts Legislature sign letter urging federal action on voting rights," Aug 3, 2021
- WBUR 90.9-NPR, "Meeting The Gubernatorial Candidates: Sonia Chang-Díaz," by Tiziana Dearing, Chris Citorik, Anthony Brooks, & Ali Audet, July 22, 2021
- WGBH NPR-Boston, "Geoff Diehl Makes His Case For Governor, Shows Some Distance From Trump," by Hannah Reale, July 7, 2021
- The Patriot Ledger, "In bid for governor's office, Whitman's Geoff Diehl thinks conservatism can win statewide," by Joe Difazio, 7/7/21
- Boston Herald: "Geoff Diehl says he's the 'underdog' most likely to win the Republican nomination for governor," by Erin Tiernan, July 6, 2021
- CommonWealth Magazine, "Chang-Diaz emphasizes the urgency of now," by Michael Jonas, Jul 1, 2021
- WGBH Boston-NPR, "Democratic Gov Hopeful Danielle Allen Pans Baker's Sales Tax Holiday Pitch," by Adam Reilly, June 25, 2021
- MetroWest Daily News, "Immigrant tuition bills catching on--but not in Mass.," by Chris Lisinski, June 20, 2021
- The Harvard Crimson, "Harvard Professor Danielle Allen Officially Announces 2022 Campaign for Mass. Governor," by Leah J. Teichholtz, June 15, 2021
- WBUR 90.0-FM, "Danielle Allen, A Harvard Ethicist, Launches Historic Bid For Governor," June 15, 2021
- WAMC Albany-NPR, "Harvard Professor Danielle Allen Announces Run for Massachusetts Governor," by Paul Tuthill, Jun 15, 2021
- The Springfield Republican (MassLive.com), "Cannabis equity applicants look forward to home delivery, but struggle with startup costs," by Melissa Hanson, Feb. 17, 2021
- The Charlestown Bridge, "Former State Senator Ben Downing Announces Candidacy for Governor," by John Lynds, February 11, 2021
- The Boston Globe, "What to know about Ben Downing, the former Massachusetts state senator who just announced a campaign to be governor," by Nik DeCosta-Klipa, February 8, 2021
- The Boston Globe, "Ben Downing, former state senator, launches campaign for governor," by Victoria McGrane, February 8, 2021
- The Boston Herald,
- The Boston Herald, "Former state Sen. Ben Downing to run for Massachusetts governor," by Lisa Kashinsky, February 8, 2021
- NBC Boston, "Former State Senator Announces Bid for Mass. Governor," by Alison King, February 8, 2021
- Jamaica Plain News, "Sen. Chang-Díaz Reflects on Police Reform Legislation She Shepherded," by David Ertischek, January 1, 2021
- WAMC, "Personal Responsibility Isn't Enough," by Ben Downing, Dec 28, 2020
- Washington Post Opinion: "Why I'm exploring a run for governor of Massachusetts," by Danielle Allen, December 18, 2020
- WAMC, "Grief, Loss And Leadership," by Ben Downing, Dec 10, 2020
- Commonwealth Magazine, "Solar revolution is stalled, needs to shift into gear," by Ben Downing and Ben Underwood, Dec 10, 2020
- Boston Herald: "Harvard professor Danielle Allen first to emerge in 2022 governor's race," by Erin Tiernan, December 14, 2020
- MassLive, "'The ACA remains the law of the land': Massachusetts AG Maura Healey defends Obamacare," by Jackson Cote, Nov. 10, 2020
- WGBH, "Maura Healey: Schools Need More Money So Students Can Succeed Amid Converging Crises Of Health, Economy," by Zoe Mathews, June 23, 2020
- CommonWealth Magazine, "The gateway debate over marijuana," by Jack Sullivan, May 5, 2016
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Maura Healey: Ensure access to abortion, contraception, STI testing.
Maura Healey: I'm always going to stand up for abortion access.
Budget & Economy|
Maura Healey: Encourage entrepreneurism with Office of Economic Assistance.
Danielle Allen: East-west rail clearly important; definitely a high priority.
Ben Downing: We have widening economic and racial gaps in Massachusetts.
Ben Downing: We're left weaker by tax cuts for wealthy & budget cuts.
Ben Downing: Encourage savings with prize linked savings accounts.
Maura Healey: Include health equity as part of Health Care Cost Trends.
Maura Healey: End the ban on LGBTQ+ blood donations.
Maura Healey: We put an equity lens on everything that we do.
Maura Healey: Was lead counsel challenging Defense of Marriage Act.
Maura Healey: The first openly gay state attorney general in U.S. history.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Social equity loans for those impacted by cannabis arrests.
Geoff Diehl: Supports gay GOP candidate criticized by committee member.
Danielle Allen: State has taken too long where leadership is open to all.
Ben Downing: Support anti-discrimination laws for transgender people.
Maura Healey: Allow communities to enact local rent stabilization policies.
Danielle Allen: Focus on corporate purpose and stakeholder capitalism.
Maura Healey: Supported 2020 reform bill repealing mandatory minimums.
Danielle Allen: Alternatives to incarceration; justice by focus on community.
Maura Healey: Increase penalties for hate crimes, revamp current law.
Geoff Diehl: Police should not be condemned, but supported.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Wrote law banning chokeholds & racial profiling.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Make retail cannabis market accessible to smaller players.
Maura Healey: Regular pot users likely to try more dangerous drugs.
Maura Healey: Pandemic requires additional support for public schools.
Maura Healey: Opposed ballot measure expanding number of charter schools.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Young people shouldn't have to carry decades of student debt.
Energy & Oil|
Maura Healey: Create a cabinet-level Climate Chief & electrify everything.
Maura Healey: Will harness all the levers in combating the climate crisis.
Geoff Diehl: A vocal critic of the Transportation Climate Initiative.
Ben Downing: Transition to clean energy economy means jobs.
Ben Downing: As state senator, focused on clean energy & climate change.
Ben Downing: There is no time or excuse for incrementalism.
Ben Downing: Clean energy push left out communities of color & low-income.
Ben Downing: Increase solar net metering cap, ensure future growth.
Maura Healey: Expects nuclear power plan to obey rules on reactor water.
Families & Children|
Maura Healey: Common Start: free child care for lowest-income families.
Maura Healey: Pass VOTES Act; same day voter registration.
Danielle Allen: Rebuild democracy with early voting & mail-in voting.
Geoff Diehl: Opposes permanent mail-in voting as open to fraud.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Signed letter urging federal action on voting rights.
Danielle Allen: Democracy is about working, deciding, acting together.
Maura Healey: Hold gun dealers & manufacturers accountable for marketing.
Ben Downing: Supports AG on enforcing state assault weapons law.
Maura Healey: Treat mental health care as seriously as other health care.
Danielle Allen: Prioritize a new level of public health investment.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: COVID: universal masking in schools, indoor public spaces.
Danielle Allen: COVID: Mandatory vaccinations for elderly, prison workers.
Danielle Allen: Pandemic was last straw; commonwealth ready for change.
Maura Healey: ACA remains the law of the land; peoples' lives depend on it.
Maura Healey: End state involvement in federal immigration matters.
Maura Healey: Fought Muslim travel ban & family separation at border.
Geoff Diehl: Get undocumented processed as citizens as quickly as we can.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: Proposed path for in-state college tuition for undocumented.
Geoff Diehl: COVID: State should have furloughed non-essential employees.
Ben Downing: Need emergency paid sick time, for minorities & women.
Principles & Values|
Maura Healey: A proud progressive but not interested in labels.
Maura Healey: Briefly played pro basketball, went on to law school.
Danielle Allen: Will bring experience from academia to governing.
Geoff Diehl: We're looking to re-empower the individual in Massachusetts.
Geoff Diehl: Would rather leave national politics out of governor's race.
Sonia Chang-Diaz: My North Star is: "Are we getting results?".
Danielle Allen: It shouldn't be every person for themselves anymore.
Danielle Allen: Committed to building blocks of social infrastructure.
Ben Downing: We need a sense of urgency from leadership to address issues.
Ben Downing: Lived in communities that had to fight to get resources.
Ben Downing: Voters expect more: you have to earn their trust.
Ben Downing: Beacon Hill postpones & relies on Mass. exceptionalism.
Ben Downing: Grief and loss teach empathy, perspective, fierce urgency.
Danielle Allen: Better targeted investment than two-month sales tax holiday.
Maura Healey: Prioritize electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Ben Downing Massachusetts Democratic candidate for governor
- Danielle Allen Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Geoff Diehl Massachusetts Republican Challenger
- Maura Healey Massachusetts Democratic candidate for Governor
- Sonia Chang-Diaz Massachusetts Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
The above quotations are from 2022 Massachusetts Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
Next election in 2022; contenders:
MA 2022 Gubernatorial debate:
Incumbent Charlie Baker(R, retiring)
vs.Lt.Gov.Karyn Polito(R, retiring)
vs.Attorney General Maura Healey(D)
vs.Former State Rep. Geoff Diehl(R)
vs. Chris Doughty(R)
vs.Shiva Ayyadurai(R,eliminated at convention)
vs.Harvard Professor Danielle Allen(D, withdrew)
vs.State Sen.Ben Downing(D, withdrew)
vs.State Sen.Sonia Chang-Diaz(D, withdrew)
Past gubernatorial races:
2018 Massachusetts gubernatorial debate,
Gov. Charlie Baker(R)
Mayor Setti Warren (D)
Jay Gonzalez (D)
Bob Massie (D)
Former gubernatorial races:
2014 MA Gubernatorial debate
2006 MA Democratic primary debate
2006 MA Gubernatorial debate;
Mihos (R, 2010);
Ross (D, 2010);
Stein (G, 2010);
Gabrieli (D, 2006);
Reich (D, 2002);
O'Brien (D, 2002)
2018-22 Governors' book excerpts:
- American Crisis, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Can't Is Not an Option, by Gov. Nikki Haley (R,SC)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- The Opposite of Woe, by Gov. John Hickenlooper (D,CO)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Romney: An Inside Look, about Gov. Mitt Romney (R,MA)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Unintimidated, by Governor Scott Walker (R,WI)
- What A Party!, by Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- 2022 Senatorial debates: