Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2022 Maryland Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2022 MD Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Ashwani Jain (28) Maryland Democratic Challenger
- Doug Gansler (17) Maryland Democratic Challenger
- Jeff Colyer (1) Kansas Candidate for Governor
- John B. King (10) Maryland Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Kelly M. Schulz (1) Maryland Republican challenger for Governor
- Larry Hogan (2) Maryland Republican Maryland Governor
- Michael Steele (5) Republican challenger, Lt. Gov. Maryland
- Peter Franchot (28) Maryland Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Robin Ficker (6) Maryland Republican candidate for Governor
- Thomas Perez (3) Maryland Democratic Challenger for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2022 Maryland Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- MSNBC, "Transcript: The ReidOut," interview of MD Governor candidate John B. King, 10/15/21
- CNN.com, "Tom Perez launches bid for Maryland governor," by Dan Merica, June 23, 2021
- Baltimore Sun, "Nearly 350,000 Marylanders don't have health insurance. Here's how to close the gap," by Tom Perez, Jun 09, 2021
- KPVI TV 6 NBC News, "Commerce Secretary Kelly Schulz running for governor," 4/22/21
- Baltimore Sun, "John King Jr., former Obama education secretary, enters race for governor of Maryland," by Bryn Stole, Apr 20, 2021
- Washington Post, "John B. King, former Obama education secretary, running for Maryland governor," by Erin Cox, April 20, 2021
- MarylandMatters.org blog, "John King, Former U.S. Secretary of Education, Announces Gubernatorial Bid," by Bennett Leckrone, April 20, 2021
- Baltimore Sun, "A bold commitment to offshore wind would be a win-win for Maryland," by Tom Perez, Apr 05, 2021
- Tufts Daily, "Tisch College Distinguished Speaker Series hosts Michael Steele," by Madeline Mueller, April 2, 2021
- MSNBC Transcript: The ReidOut interviewing Michael Steele, 3/29/21
- MSNBC Transcript: The Beat with Ari Melber interviewing Michael Steele, 3/25/21
- Maryland Matters, "The Other John King," by Josh Kurtz, March 2, 2021
- CNN State of the Union interview of Larry Hogan, January 10, 2021
- ABC This Week interview of Larry Hogan, December 27, 2020
- The Week newsmagazine, "Centrists have a solution for Trumpism: Trump Lite," by Ryan Cooper, December 16, 2020
- Maryland Matters, "Crises Can Be Catalysts for Change," by John King, October 5, 2020
- The Hill, "It's time to start restoring the party of Lincoln," by Michael Steele, 08/31/20
- Bethesda Magazine, "Ficker running for governor in 2022 to cut sales tax," by Dan Schere, April 23, 2020
- MyMcMedia.org blog, "Robin Ficker is Running Again, This Time for Governor," by Suzanne Pollak, April 19, 2020
- WJLA, "Robin Ficker fighting to limit property tax hikes," by Kevin Lewis, February 21, 2020
- Basketball Network, "NBA's most famous heckler," by Filip Trivic, November 30, 2018
- Bethesda Magazine, "Q &A With County Executive Candidate Robin Ficker," by Louis Peck, October 11, 2018
- Baltimore Sun, "Federal appellate court upholds Md. handgun permit laws," by Justin Fenton, Mar 21, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Doug Gansler: I have always fought for reproductive rights.
Peter Franchot: A very important right that we need to defend for women.
Ashwani Jain: I believe in reproductive rights and reproductive justice.
Budget & Economy|
Peter Franchot: Bring high quality public transportation throughout state.
Peter Franchot: $5.5B in delinquent taxes; $1B in unclaimed property.
Peter Franchot: Led record state investments to transportation projects.
Peter Franchot: Reformed procurement system increasing accountability.
Robin Ficker: Improve transportation in congested parts of the state.
Doug Gansler: Received Equality Maryland award for support of LGBT rights.
Peter Franchot: Appoint Secretary of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Thomas Perez: Civil rights is part of his DNA (and job history).
Ashwani Jain: LGBTQ people welcome in Maryland: you make us stronger.
John B. King: Great-grandfather enslaved; must grapple with racial equity.
John B. King: We undermine societal improvement by burying historic racism.
Peter Franchot: Less for corporate tax breaks, more help for small business.
Doug Gansler: Bring every police shooting to the grand jury.
Peter Franchot: End all use of no-knock warrants.
Ashwani Jain: Ban the use of chokeholds; end the money-bail system.
Ashwani Jain: Repeal prohibition of prosecution for marital sexual assault.
Doug Gansler: Legalize cannabis and expunge convictions.
Doug Gansler: Drug use should be treated like a public health problem.
Peter Franchot: If legalized wants benefits to go to areas impacted in past.
Ashwani Jain: Legalize marijuana, expunge the records of those imprisoned.
Ashwani Jain: Treat drug use as a public health crisis, not a crime.
Peter Franchot: Fully debt-free paths to a vocational or college degree.
Ashwani Jain: Public dollars should be used to improve public schools.
Ashwani Jain: Ease student loan debt for those who teach public school.
Ashwani Jain: For comprehensive Sex Ed in public schools.
John B. King: Inspiring public school teachers saved my life.
John B. King: Expand education access; seek universal preschool.
Peter Franchot: Supports financial literacy & college capital projects.
Peter Franchot: Healthy classrooms yes; standardized testing no.
Robin Ficker: We need to teach kids to love libraries, not raise taxes.
Energy & Oil|
Doug Gansler: Begin work on 4 Gigawatts offshore wind generation by 2026.
Doug Gansler: Use school funding/construction to promote renewable energy.
John B. King: It's past time to act on climate change, shift to renewables.
Peter Franchot: Our target goal for moving fully to renewable energy is 2030.
Ashwani Jain: Ban fracking; deactivate all in-state coal power plants.
Ashwani Jain: We need to invest in solar and offshore wind farms.
Ashwani Jain: We must take deliberate steps to focus on climate justice.
Thomas Perez: Offshore wind a win for workers, businesses, & environment.
Doug Gansler: Won largest environmental settlement in American history.
Peter Franchot: Work with EPA to help clean up Chesapeake Bay.
Ashwani Jain: Ban single-use plastic bags; achieve 100% composting.
Ashwani Jain: Help farmers afford water conservation requirements.
Peter Franchot: Voted for over $1.4 billion in environmental protection.
Families & Children|
Doug Gansler: Universal pre-kindergarten and universal child care.
Ashwani Jain: Create a Paid Family Leave Insurance Fund.
Ashwani Jain: Require free menstrual products in public school bathrooms.
Doug Gansler: Judicial retention elections promote diversity on the bench.
Peter Franchot: Deliver on specific goals to rebuild trust in government.
Peter Franchot: Create a universal, transparent vote by mail system.
Ashwani Jain: Committed to imposing anti-corruption measures.
Michael Steele: We know this is all about a fear of black voters.
Michael Steele: Biden showed moral courage in criticizing voter suppression.
Larry Hogan: Just like Trump he refuses to release his tax returns.
Robin Ficker: 2016: Helped pass ballot measure for county term limits.
Doug Gansler: Supported Maryland's handgun permitting law.
Ashwani Jain: For universal background checks, universal licensing.
Jeff Colyer: Pro-Second Amendment, authentic conservative.
Peter Franchot: Sponsored strict gun control legislation.
Doug Gansler: Operate 10 new regional behavioral centers across the state.
Peter Franchot: Expand Medicaid; control cost of insurance premiums.
Thomas Perez: Implement and strengthen state health equity program.
Ashwani Jain: Healthcare is a human right, supports a public option.
Doug Gansler: Expand programs and housing for homeless veterans.
Ashwani Jain: Police shouldn't ask individuals about immigration status.
Ashwani Jain: Advocate for Sanctuary counties & refugee right to counsel.
Peter Franchot: Praised tax credit that includes undocumented people.
Doug Gansler: Raising the minimum wage is a racial justice issue.
Peter Franchot: Create 100,000 family supporting jobs in 100 weeks.
Ashwani Jain: Expand access to collective bargaining & union rights.
Ashwani Jain: Create the nation's first Guaranteed Jobs Program.
Peter Franchot: Helped reform alcohol laws to support local craft breweries.
Principles & Values|
Doug Gansler: Helps run a non-profit lacrosse league for inner-city youth.
John B. King: Crises can be catalysts for change: it's up to us.
Peter Franchot: Would melt down Confederate statue, make door knobs.
Ashwani Jain: Remove religious exemptions in state non-discrimination laws.
Ashwani Jain: Every event I host will be free, open to the press.
Kelly M. Schulz: Served in House of Delegates and as Labor Secretary.
John B. King: A progressive problem solver; work to expand opportunity.
John B. King: Teacher, administrator, Obama's Secretary of Education.
Michael Steele: If you're not ready to listen, you will never learn.
Michael Steele: Religion set how I come to view and experience the world.
Peter Franchot: Measure commitment not by money spent, but results we demand.
Larry Hogan: Return GOP to its roots, become a bigger tent.
Michael Steele: Trump turned GOP from honorable party to personality cult.
Robin Ficker: Was noted NBA heckler; they responded with "Ficker rule".
Peter Franchot: Tax incentives for seniors for mentorship program.
Doug Gansler: Employer tax credits for businesses hiring military spouses.
John B. King: Ask wealthiest to pay fair share, end corporate giveaways.
Peter Franchot: Ease filing for those with simple tax obligations.
Ashwani Jain: Eliminate the state income tax for 95% of Maryland workers.
Ashwani Jain: Ensure richest pay their fair share of taxes.
John B. King: If we have to pay a little more in taxes, we should.
Peter Franchot: Supported online retailers collecting state sales tax.
Robin Ficker: Cut sales tax by two cents; give everyone a tax cut.
Robin Ficker: Fought to limit property tax hikes to rate of inflation.
Peter Franchot: Access to the internet will become a right for each citizen.
Welfare & Poverty|
Doug Gansler: Provide economic incentives to address housing affordability.
Ashwani Jain: Offer grants, incentives to grocers to serve food deserts.
The above quotations are from 2022 Maryland Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
Next election in 2022; Gov. Hogan term-limited in 2022; contenders:
MD 2022 Gubernatorial debate:
Incumbent Larry Hogan(R,term-limited)
vs.State Rep. Robin Ficker(R)
vs.State Rep. Peter Franchot(D)
vs.State Del.Kelly M. Schulz(R)
vs.Secretary John B. King(D)
vs.RNC chair Michael Steele(? R)
vs.Obama administration Ashwani Jain(D)
vs.State attorney-general Doug Gansler(D)
vs.County executive Rushern Baker(D)
Past gubernatorial races:
2018 Maryland gubernatorial debate,
2018-22 Governors' book excerpts:
- Can't Is Not an Option, by Gov. Nikki Haley (R,SC)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- The Opposite of Woe, by Gov. John Hickenlooper (D,CO)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Romney: An Inside Look, about Gov. Mitt Romney (R,MA)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Unintimidated, by Governor Scott Walker (R,WI)
- What A Party!, by Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- 2020 Senatorial debates: