Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2020 Alabama Senatorial race: debates and news coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2020 AL Senatorial race (number of quotes indicated):
- Arnold Mooney (10) Republican 2020 Senate Challenger Alabama
- Bradley Byrne (7) Republican 2020 Senate Challenger Alabama
- Doug Jones (15) Democratic Alabama U.S. Senator Alabama
- Jeff Sessions (1) Alabama Attorney General 2017-2018
- John Merrill (15) Republican 2020 Challenger (withdrew) Alabama
- John Rogers (1) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Alabama
- Steve Carlson (6) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Minnesota
- Tommy Tuberville (34) Republican 2020 Senate Challenger Alabama
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Alabama 2020 Senatorial debates and race coverage:
- Politico.com, "Judge throws out Roy Moore's $95 million suit against Sacha Baron Cohen," by Maeve Sheehey, 07/13/2021
- American Family Association "iVoterGuide" on 2020 Senate race (Tommy Tuberville), downloaded Oct. 2020
- CampusElect survey (Tommy Tuberville vs. Doug Jones), September 2020
- Alabama Political Reporter, "Sessions slams Tuberville for saying China has 'a better military' than the U.S.," by Brandon Moseley, May 27, 2020
- Yellow Hammer News, "Tuberville likens coronavirus to government telling you what to do," by Jeff Poor, March 2020
- WHNT-19 Huntsville News, "U.S. Senate Candidate sitdown: Tommy Tuberville," by Lauren Harksen, Feb 26, 2020
- Jasper Daily Mountain Eagle, "Tuberville says country going in wrong direction," by Ed Howell, February 9, 2020
- Birmingham News, "How Alabama Senate hopefuls answered 3 key forum questions," by Paul Gattis, Jan 22, 2020
- Yellow Hammer News, "Rogers calls for automatic death penalty with no appeals for convicted cop killers," by Sean Ross, Jan. 2020
- Sand Mountain Reporter, "Tuberville talks US Senate race," by Daniel Taylor, Dec 23, 2019
- ABC 'This Week' interview of Sen. Doug Jones, 12-22-19
- ABC 33/40, "Former Auburn Coach Tommy Tuberville seeks Alabama's U.S. Senate seat," by Jack Helean, December 19, 2019
- Fox 10-TV, "John Merrill drops out of US Senate race," Dec 1, 2019
- Montgomery Advertiser, "Doug Jones in a bind over Trump impeachment furor," by Kim Chandler, Oct. 10, 2019
- BamaPolitics.com, "Five Questions with John Merrill," by David Preston, September 6, 2019
- Newswire.com "Antoine Pierce Becomes the First Democratic Candidate to Enter the 2020 Senate Race," Aug 14, 2019
- Mother Jones magazine, "Tuberville Perfected His Folksy Trumpism in That Great Lab of Democracy: Local Sports Radio," 8/7/19
- NBC News, "GOP official says fixation with 'homosexual activities' harming U.S. moral core," by Tim Fitzsimons, July 17, 2019
- USA Today, "'Homosexual activities' on TV threaten America's morals," by Joshua Bote, July 16, 2019
- YellowHammerNews.com , "Senate hopeful talks immigration, culture, fiscal responsibility," by Jeff Poor, 7/12/2019
- Yellow Hammer News, "Byrne education proposal featured in Trump's budget proposal," by Sean Ross, July 2019
- WHNT-19 News, "Jones frustrated by lack of Senate action on 'military widow's tax'," by Brian Lawson, June 27, 2019
- Opelika Observer, "Jones urges DoD to select Huntsville as Space Command Headquarters," June 18, 2019
- Montgomery Advertiser, "Mooney to seek GOP nomination for U.S. Senate," Brian Lyman, May 6, 2019
- WHNT-19 News, "Sen. Jones says voter protection not a partisan issue," by Brian Lawson, March 28, 2019
- Alabama Today, "Giving our students the best education possible," by Bradley Byrne, March 11, 2019
- Birmingham News, "Bradley Byrne sponsors federal school choice bill," by Trisha Powell Crain, Feb 28, 2019
- Ballotpedia Candidate Connection: Survey responses by Arnold Mooney, 2019
- RollCall.com, "Jones Tells LGBT Staffers He's Discouraged by Trends in Alabama," Griffin Connolly, Apr 13, 2018
- Birmingham News, "Jones' gay son gives VP Pence withering look at father's Senate swearing-in," by Leada Gore, 1/4/18
- NBC News, "Moore vs. Jones: Where the Alabama Senate candidates stand on the issues," by Jane C. Timm, Dec. 12, 2017
- The Economist, Transcript: An interview with Doug Jones," Nov 16 2017
- Slate.com, "Helping More People Vote Would 'Cheapen the Work' of Civil Rights Heroes," , by Mark Joseph Stern, Nov 02, 2016
- Birmingham News, "AL congressional delegation widely pans same-sex marriage decision," by Howard Koplowitz, Jun 26, 2015
- Birmingham News, "Byrne: States free to legalize same-sex marriage; just don't force AL," by Brendan Kirby, Feb 18, 2014
- Birmingham News, "Byrne, Young discuss Obama, gay marriage, religion and the delta," by Cassie Fambro, Oct 21, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Doug Jones: Voted against bill to ban abortion after 20 weeks.
Tommy Tuberville: Only exception for life of mother, not rape or incest.
John Merrill: In Alabama legislature worked on laws protecting the unborn.
Tommy Tuberville: Current wave of infanticide is this generation's holocaust.
Arnold Mooney: Pro-life and pro-family.
Budget & Economy|
John Merrill: Both parties in Washington engage in wasteful spending.
Tommy Tuberville: Don't use race to divide us.
Tommy Tuberville: Opposes laws against discrimination over sexual orientation.
John Merrill: Being gay is a "decision," but would not take away rights.
John Merrill: America too interested in homosexual activities on TV.
John Merrill: We're too interested in homosexual activities in pop culture.
Doug Jones: Protecting voting rights shouldn't be partisan issue.
Doug Jones: Co-sponsored civil rights protections for LGBTQ people.
Doug Jones: Endorsed of Human Rights Campaign.
John Merrill: Just because you're 18 doesn't give you the right to vote.
Bradley Byrne: States should be free to decide on gay marriage.
Doug Jones: Gay son celebrates Jones' swearing in as senator.
Bradley Byrne: Marriage is defined as one man and one woman.
Bradley Byrne: Supreme Court should not define marriage for states.
John Merrill: Same-day service: government at the speed of business.
Doug Jones: Remove systemic racism in society and law enforcement.
Tommy Tuberville: Police: "Gotta get 'em more money".
John Rogers: For automatic death penalty for cop killers without appeal.
Arnold Mooney: Skeptic of 2016 prison construction plans.
Doug Jones: Take marijuana off federal controlled substances list.
Tommy Tuberville: If we ever put marijuana on our streets legally, it's over.
Tommy Tuberville: Irresponsible to use tax money to pay off student loan debts.
Doug Jones: Loan forgiveness in targets jobs and locations.
Tommy Tuberville: Opposes free public college and student loan forgiveness.
Tommy Tuberville: Educate Alabama kids about values, God, & civics.
Tommy Tuberville: School choice, charters, public schools are part of the mix.
Tommy Tuberville: Disband U.S. Department of Education.
Tommy Tuberville: Students being indoctrinated in communism & socialism.
Arnold Mooney: Repeal Common Core.
Tommy Tuberville: When we took away prayer in school we killed this country.
Bradley Byrne: Byrne picked to introduce Trump-backed education bill.
Bradley Byrne: Wants private school tax credit, but supports public schools.
Bradley Byrne: Bill allows tax credits for private K-12 scholarships.
Energy & Oil|
Doug Jones: Climate change is a scientific reality.
Tommy Tuberville: Only God changes climate; it's just a change of weather.
Tommy Tuberville: COVID-19 might be experiment for Green New Deal.
Steve Carlson: Want to see much more science on climate change linkages.
Tommy Tuberville: Foreign aid only to countries that don't hate us.
Jeff Sessions: American military is best fighting force in the world.
Doug Jones: Impeachment warranted if withheld Ukraine aid helped Russia.
Steve Carlson: Pull out of the United Nations.
Tommy Tuberville: Reclaiming manufacturing from China will take care of itself.
Doug Jones: Tariffs threaten the state's workers and farmers.
Arnold Mooney: Use every tool in the toolbox to beat China down.
Steve Carlson: Tariffs make world play fair, & bring jobs back to America.
John Merrill: Supported tough voter ID law, made it easier to vote.
John Merrill: Electoral College represents will of the people.
Arnold Mooney: First priority would be bringing term limits.
Doug Jones: Ban bump stocks; waiting period for semi-automatic weapons.
Tommy Tuberville: They are not taking my guns.
Tommy Tuberville: Will always protect, preserve our Second Amendment rights.
Arnold Mooney: Right to bear arms.
Tommy Tuberville: ObamaCare a failure; supports Health Savings Accounts.
Tommy Tuberville: COVID: against lockdowns; we don't believe in socialism.
Tommy Tuberville: ObamaCare must go; return to free-market.
Arnold Mooney: Free market healthcare.
John Merrill: Concerned about rural healthcare access.
Arnold Mooney: Replace ObamaCare with block grants for Medicaid.
Tommy Tuberville: China's got a better military than we have.
Tommy Tuberville: Don't provide for those whose simple presence breaks the law.
John Merrill: We need to build wall and stop illegals who cheat the system.
Tommy Tuberville: Need to fight the scourge of illegal immigration.
John Merrill: Stop hemorrhaging of illegal border crossings.
Tommy Tuberville: Get a wall up or some kind of fencing.
Arnold Mooney: Build a border wall with Mexico.
Steve Carlson: ICE should not be abolished; work with Mexico.
Tommy Tuberville: Government shouldn't ensure a livable income.
Principles & Values|
John Merrill: Reduce spending; stand up to the socialists.
Tommy Tuberville: First duty of government is to protect individual liberty.
John Merrill: Withdraws from Senate race upon Sessions' re-entry.
Bradley Byrne: Fight for our Alabama values.
John Merrill: Push back against the liberal socialist agenda.
Tommy Tuberville: We've got to put Jesus and God before everything else.
Arnold Mooney: State lottery would cost Alabama God's blessing.
Steve Carlson: Fake news exists; as a journalist I know real news.
Doug Jones: Christians take care of people, without discriminating.
Tommy Tuberville: Look into private options; spending is unsustainable.
Tommy Tuberville: Trump tax cuts & economic policies have been a success.
Doug Jones: Led bipartisan effort to repeal "military widow's tax".
Doug Jones: Urges Huntsville as HQ for Space Command.
War & Peace|
Tommy Tuberville: Stand up for Christians & Jews persecuted worldwide.
Tommy Tuberville: Provide vets with high quality care, job training.
Tommy Tuberville: Support a strong and robust military.
Steve Carlson: Denuclearization of North Korea will be end of Korean War.
The above quotations are from 2020 Alabama Senatorial race: debates and news coverage.
Books by and about Senators and Senate candidates:
- Conscience of a Conservative, by Senator (R,AZ)
- Dealing Death and Drugs, by Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke (D,TX)
- The Essential Bernie Sanders, about Senator Bernie Sanders (I,VT)
- A Mandate for Change, by Senator Mike Gravel (D,AK)
- Milk Money, introductiom by Senator Bernie Sanders (I,VT)
- Off the Sidelines, by Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D,NY)
- Outsider in the White House, by Senator Bernie Sanders (I,VT)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- Playing Bigger Than You Are, introductiom by Senator Bernie Sanders (I,VT)
- Promises Kept & Promises Broken, about Senator Cory Booker (D,NJ)
- Quotable Elizabeth Warren, about Senator Elizabeth Warren (D,MA)
- The Real Romney, about Senator Mitt Romney (R,UT)
- The Senator Next Door, by Senator Amy Klobuchar (D,MN)
- This Fight Is Our Fight, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D,MA)
- A Time for Truth, by Senator Ted Cruz (R,TX)
- The Truths We Hold, by Senator Kamala Harris (D,CA)
- The Two Income Trap, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D,MA)
- United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground, by Senator Cory Booker (D,NJ)