2014 Colorado Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 CO Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Stephens (9) Republican Challenger (withdrawn) Colorado
- Cory Gardner (8) Republican Senate challenger Colorado
- Ken Buck (3) Republican Challenger (withdrawn) Colorado
- Mark Udall (8) Democratic Sr Senator; previously Representative Colorado
- Owen Hill (7) Republican Senate Challenger Colorado
- Randy Baumgardner (9) Republican Challenger Colorado
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Colorado Senate debates and race coverage:
- Denver Post, "Ebola new issue as Udall, Gardner tangle in final Senate debate", at 9News' studio, 10/15/2014
- Denver Post, "Pot, immigration trip up governor, Senate candidates in Denver debates", by Joey Bunch, 10/6/2014
- Rollcall PacWatch, "DSCC Attacks Cory Gardner on Birth Control", by Alexis Levinson, 9/22/2014
- Washington Post, "GOP Senate hopefuls favor over-the-counter birth control", by Sandhya Somashekhar, Sept. 2, 2014
- MarkUdall.com Campaign email, "New ad: 'It's 2014.'," by Kim Howard, Aug. 5, 2014
- AdWatch: OnTheIssues transcript: Americans For Prosperity TV ad, favoring Cory Gardner, May 14, 2015
- AdWatch: OnTheIssues transcript: American Energy Alliance TV ad against Mark Udall on Keystone XL, May 15, 2014.
- Wall Street Journal, "Shifting Senate Landscape", by Janet Hook, 3/2/2014 (Gardner in; Stephens and Buck out).
- Denver Post, "Amy Stephens says Ken Buck hurt GOP in 2010", debate coverage by Joey Bunch, 2/26/2014
- Denver Post, "Cory Gardner to enter U.S. Senate race", by Lynn Bartels and Kurtis Lee, 2/26/2014
- Denver Post on Mark Udall, Jan. 1, 2014
- Mark Udall interviewed on ABC News This Week, 12/22/2013
- Erin Fenner in Craig Daily Press, "Ken Buck", December 4, 2013
- Charles Crumm in Michigan Daily Tribune, on Republican National Committee email campaign, Nov.5, 2013
- CBS "Face the Nation" interview of Mark Udall, July 28, 2013
- AdWatch: Colorado Dems' press release on 2014 Colorado Senate race Jul 8, 2013
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Mark Udall's Senate speech, June 9th, 2013
- CNN "State of the Union" interview of Sen. Mark Udall, June 9, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Cory Gardner: No Personhood Amendment; birth control over-the-counter.
Cory Gardner: Make "the pill" available without a prescription.
Cory Gardner: OpEd: extreme push for nationwide Personhood law.
Mark Udall: AdWatch: defend woman's right to make her own choices.
Cory Gardner: Sell contraceptives over-the-counter to avoid Hobby Lobby.
Amy Stephens: NO on penalties for violent offenses against pregnant women.
Randy Baumgardner: Voted YES on penalties for violent offenses against fetuses.
Ken Buck: Won't compare gays to alcoholics again; better candidate now.
Amy Stephens: Rated 43% on voting positions by Women's Lobby of Colorado.
Randy Baumgardner: Rated 35% on voting positions by Women's Lobby of Colorado.
Ken Buck: Closed loophole that had let abusive fathers contact kids.
Amy Stephens: Voted NO on parole violation punishment reduction.
Randy Baumgardner: Voted NO on parole violation punishment reduction.
Amy Stephens: Voted YES on requiring all convicts to submit DNA.
Owen Hill: Voted NO on regulating retail marijuana.
Owen Hill: Voted NO on regulating retail marijuana.
Randy Baumgardner: Sponsored bill for regulating retail marijuana.
Owen Hill: Eliminate the Department of Education.
Amy Stephens: Voted NO on expanding comprehensive sex education.
Owen Hill: Voted NO on expanding comprehensive sex education.
Randy Baumgardner: Voted NO on expanding comprehensive sex education.
Amy Stephens: Voted NO on authorizing same-sex civil unions.
Owen Hill: Voted NO on authorizing same-sex civil unions.
Randy Baumgardner: Voted NO on authorizing same-sex civil unions.
Energy & Oil|
Mark Udall: We're prepared to put a price on carbon.
Owen Hill: Stick to the enumerated powers our founding fathers gave us.
Ken Buck: Opposes secession for northern Colorado counties.
Amy Stephens: Voted NO on same-day voter registration.
Owen Hill: Voted NO on same-day voter registration.
Randy Baumgardner: Voted NO on same-day voter registration.
Cory Gardner: Ebola: immediate ban on all travel from West African.
Amy Stephens: AmyCare was lesser of 2 evils to exempt state from ObamaCare.
Cory Gardner: ObamaCare has led to 335,000 cancellations in Colorado.
Mark Udall: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Mark Udall: Reform the NSA; stop gathering millions of phone records.
Mark Udall: Real reform to stop NSA overreach.
Mark Udall: NSA should not collect bulk data; go through FISA court.
Mark Udall: FactCheck: Yes, NSA can collect phone records on Americans.
Mark Udall: Reopen PATRIOT Act: stop gathering secret phone data.
Cory Gardner: I support the DREAM Act & some form of legalized work status.
Principles & Values|
Cory Gardner: Giving up Energy Committee seat to run for Senate.
Randy Baumgardner: Skipped GOP primary debate sponsored by Denver Post.
Amy Stephens: Voted NO on increases to public employee retirement benefits.
Randy Baumgardner: Voted NO on increases to public employee retirement benefits.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Amy Stephens Republican Challenger (withdrawn) Colorado
- Cory Gardner Republican Senate challenger Colorado
- Ken Buck Republican Challenger (withdrawn) Colorado
- Mark Udall Democratic Sr Senator; previously Representative Colorado
- Owen Hill Republican Senate Challenger Colorado
- Randy Baumgardner Republican Challenger Colorado
The above quotations are from 2014 Colorado Senate debates.
- Outsider in the House, by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I, VT)
- The Little Plaid Book, by Sen. Lamar Alexander (R, TN)
- Cowboy in Caracas, by Senate nominee Charlie Hardy (D, WY)
- The New Black Politician: Cory Booker, Newark, and Post-Racial America (D, NJ)
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- A Tribute to 101 Incredible Women, by Senate candidate Joyce Dickerson (D, SC)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)