2014 Iowa Senate Debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 Iowa Senate Debates (number of quotes indicated):
- Bruce Braley (11) Democratic Challenger Iowa
- Doug Butzier (20) Libertarian Senate challenger Iowa
- Joni Ernst (33) Republican Challenger Iowa
- Matthew Whitaker (8) Republican Senate Challenger Iowa
- Sam Clovis (17) Republican Senate Challenger Iowa
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Iowa Senate debates and race coverage:
- Des Moines Register, "Senate debate's tenor echoes race", 60-minute live televised debate at Morningside College in Sioux City, moderated by WOI-TV's Amanda Krenz, hosted by Nexstar Broadcasting, 10/17/2014
- FactCheck.org PacWatch, "Ernst and 'Privatizing' Social Security", October 7, 2014
- Washington Post, AdWatch, "Braley seeks to cut through ad attacks", by Matea Gold, October 2, 2014
- Des Moines Register, TheHill.com, and politico.com on first Senate debate, sponsored by KCCI-TV and hosted by Simpson College, Sept. 28, 2014
- Yahoo News, "Joni Ernst's flirtations with the political fringe", by Meredith Shiner, August 13, 2014
- The Hill weblog, "Steyer slams Ernst over biofuels", 8/19/2014
- The Hill weblog, "Steyer starts ads in Iowa Senate race," by Timothy Cama, July 30, 2014
- CBS News, "Iowa Democrat's 'chick' ad draws cries of sexism," by Jake Miller, 6/7/2014
- Huffington Post, "Self-Contradictory Take On Gay Marriage", by Mollie Reilly, May 29, 2014
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Candidate Profile: Q&A with Matt Whitaker", by Jacob Hall, May 21, 2014
- AdWatch: "How castrating hogs transformed Iowa's Senate race," Washington Post, May 11, 2014
- AdWatch transcript: "Taking Aim at Obamacare", May 5, 2014
- BleedingHeartland.com, "Iowa Senate approves cannabis oil bill", Apr 25, 2014
- The Gazette , "Few of Ernst's missed Iowa Senate votes due to National Guard Duty", by .A. Morelli, April 14, 2014
- The Daily Caller, "Cruz wades into ugly Iowa Senate fight", by Alexis Levinson, 4/03/2014
- Time magazine, "candidate Says Castration Gives Her Conservative Cred", by Michael Scherer, 3/25/2014
- Washington Post, "RightNOW Women PAC endorses Joni Ernst"Jackie Kucinich, 3/11/2014
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Matt Whitaker: Common Core is Wrong" 3/4/2014
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Sam Clovis: Obama to Solve Winter in February" 2/18/2014
- KMA Land, 99.1 FM on Joni Ernst, 1/2/2014
- Caffeinated Thoughts on Sam Clovis, Nov. 22, 2013
- Kristen Johnson in Siouxland News KTIV coverage of forum at Ida Grove Skate Palace, Nov. 19, 2013
- Charles Crumm in Michigan Daily Tribune, on Republican National Committee email campaign, Nov.5, 2013
- First Republican Senate primary debate: Oct 24, 2013, in Windsor Heights, sponsored by Iowa Faith & Freedom Coalition, at the Walnut Creek Community Church.
- Coverage of Oct. 24 debate by Indianapolis Star, The Iowa Republican and CaffeinatedThoughts blog.
- Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier coverage of joint Republican candidate appearance in Black Hawk County, 9/23/2013
- The Iowa Republican, "Braley's gun control stance to the left of every U.S. Senator", by Jeff Patch, 6/13/2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Joni Ernst: Human life begins at conception.
Joni Ernst: Affordable access to contraception.
Joni Ernst: Personhood amendment is a statement of pro-life principle.
Doug Butzier: Leave abortion decisions to the states.
Sam Clovis: Human life begins at conception.
Budget & Economy|
Doug Butzier: Market-led recovery better than federal stimulus.
Sam Clovis: BBA to stop saddling generations to come.
Matthew Whitaker: Top priority: Grow the economy.
Sam Clovis: Top priority: Balancing the budget.
Joni Ernst: I've castrated hogs so I know how to cut pork.
Joni Ernst: Government shouldn't redefine marriage.
Doug Butzier: Affirmative action is government interference in marketplace.
Doug Butzier: Declaration's "All men are created equal" applies to gays.
Sam Clovis: Government shouldn't redefine marriage.
Joni Ernst: Federal ban ok, but leave same-sex marriage to states.
Joni Ernst: Endorsed by RightNOW Women PAC to escape "war on women".
Matthew Whitaker: My faith requires me to support traditional marriage.
Joni Ernst: Eliminate rules which inhibit strong free-market economy.
Doug Butzier: Stricter punishment doesn't reduce crime.
Doug Butzier: Legalize marijuana & all drugs; $80B wasted on War on Drugs.
Joni Ernst: Voted to legalize medical cannabis oil.
Joni Ernst: Eliminate Department of Education but keep Pell Grants.
Doug Butzier: Vouchers for school choice are a good start.
Matthew Whitaker: Common Core is one-size-fits-all, top-down solution.
Sam Clovis: FactCheck: Common Core originated with governors, not feds.
Sam Clovis: Common Core is federal overreach in spending and control.
Joni Ernst: No federal involvement in Common Core standards.
Matthew Whitaker: Common Core is cram-it-down-your-throat reform.
Energy & Oil|
Bruce Braley: Supported Keystone Pipeline initially, then rejected it.
Joni Ernst: Drives hybrid car, but doubts climate change is man-made.
Doug Butzier: Prioritizing green energy is just tax favors.
Sam Clovis: No subsidies for wind and solar.
Sam Clovis: Obama's "Climate Resilience Fund" just redistributes wealth.
Matthew Whitaker: Cap-and-trade proposal stifles the American dream.
Doug Butzier: Clean air and water are in the public domain.
Joni Ernst: No more Agenda 21: no United Nations eminent domain.
Doug Butzier: Dialogue via UN ok, but no US troops under UN control.
Matthew Whitaker: No foreign aid to countries that don't like us.
Doug Butzier: Free trade is the very foundation of prosperity.
Joni Ernst: Photo ID for voting.
Doug Butzier: Make sure that votes are legal, & that people vote only once.
Sam Clovis: Photo ID for voting.
Bruce Braley: AdWatch: Opponent never made a peep about wasteful spending.
Joni Ernst: AdWatch: I grew up castrating hogs; I know how to cut pork.
Joni Ernst: Opposes more gun restrictions.
Doug Butzier: Absolute right to gun ownership.
Sam Clovis: Opposes more gun restrictions.
Bruce Braley: Allow lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence.
Bruce Braley: Ban sale of high-capacity magazines & recall existing ones.
Sam Clovis: Reduce gun violence but not by punishing gun manufacturers.
Joni Ernst: ObamaCare is egregious overreach of federal government.
Joni Ernst: FactCheck: False claim that ObamaCare cut Medicare benefits.
Bruce Braley: Vehemently opposes tort reform: don't take away right to sue.
Bruce Braley: ObamaCare should be fixed and improved, not repealed.
Doug Butzier: Opposes ObamaCare.
Sam Clovis: Repeal ObamaCare; it's not a government responsibility.
Bruce Braley: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Joni Ernst: Voted against Medicaid expansion in Iowa.
Sam Clovis: Keep ObamaCare rule: kids can stay on parent's plan until 26.
Joni Ernst: I understand the importance a strong national defense.
Bruce Braley: Yes, missed 75% of Veterans' hearings; but made 97% of votes.
Doug Butzier: Stop expanding the military.
Sam Clovis: Maintain a superior nuclear arsenal.
Joni Ernst: Military experience always plays role in decision-making.
Joni Ernst: Keep veterans in forefront of all foreign policy decisions.
Joni Ernst: Protect the borders; prevent illegal entry.
Bruce Braley: Supports comprehensive reform but not amnesty.
Doug Butzier: Turn illegal aliens into taxpayers by legalizing them.
Sam Clovis: Protect the borders; prevent illegal entry.
Joni Ernst: Raising the minimum wage would not improve the economy.
Joni Ernst: Top priority: Jobs and economy.
Principles & Values|
Joni Ernst: Judeo-Christian values established our government framework.
Doug Butzier: Oppose limits on prayer in public places.
Sam Clovis: Judeo-Christian values established our government framework.
Joni Ernst: FactCheck: Missed half of state Senate votes for campaigning.
Bruce Braley: Apologizes for denigrating Senator as farmer & not lawyer.
Joni Ernst: AdWatch: "Let's make 'em squeal" in Washington.
Matthew Whitaker: OpEd: disagrees with entire liberal laundry list.
Joni Ernst: Values we grew up with are being threatened now.
Bruce Braley: Privatizing Social Security turns it over to Wall Street.
Joni Ernst: Open to privatizing Social Security, but honor promises.
Doug Butzier: Privatize the Ponzi scheme in gradual and voluntary manner.
Matthew Whitaker: No hope that Social Security will be there for future.
Joni Ernst: Make tax code fairer, flatter and simpler: but not FairTax.
Doug Butzier: Higher taxes on the wealthy are counterproductive to economy.
Joni Ernst: Signed Grover Norquist tax pledge: never raise taxes.
Joni Ernst: Passed the largest tax cut in Iowa history.
War & Peace|
Doug Butzier: Stay out of Iran & stay out of everywhere.
Welfare & Poverty|
Sam Clovis: Don't trading spending cuts for entitlement reform.
The above quotations are from 2014 Iowa Senate Debates.
- The New Black Politician: Cory Booker, Newark, and Post-Racial America (D, NJ)
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- A Tribute to 101 Incredible Women, by Senate candidate Joyce Dickerson (D, SC)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)