2014 Iowa Senate Debates
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 Iowa Senate Debates (number of quotes indicated):
- Bruce Braley (1) Democratic Challenger Iowa
- Joni Ernst (8) Republican Challenger Iowa
- Matthew Whitaker (6) Republican Senate Challenger Iowa
- Sam Clovis (5) Republican Senate Challenger Iowa
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Iowa Senate debates and race coverage:
- Time magazine, "candidate Says Castration Gives Her Conservative Cred", by Michael Scherer, 3/25/2014
- Washington Post, "RightNOW Women PAC endorses Joni Ernst"Jackie Kucinich, 3/11/2014
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Matt Whitaker: Common Core is Wrong" 3/4/2014
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Sam Clovis: Obama to Solve Winter in February" 2/18/2014
- KMA Land, 99.1 FM on Joni Ernst, 1/2/2014
- Caffeinated Thoughts on Sam Clovis, Nov. 22, 2013
- Kristen Johnson in Siouxland News KTIV coverage of forum at Ida Grove Skate Palace, Nov. 19, 2013
- Charles Crumm in Michigan Daily Tribune, on Republican National Committee email campaign, Nov.5, 2013
- First Republican Senate primary debate: Oct 24, 2013, in Windsor Heights, sponsored by Iowa Faith & Freedom Coalition, at the Walnut Creek Community Church.
- Coverage of Oct. 24 debate by Indianapolis Star, The Iowa Republican and CaffeinatedThoughts blog.
- Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier coverage of joint Republican candidate appearance in Black Hawk County, 9/23/2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Matthew Whitaker: Top priority: Grow the economy.
Sam Clovis: Top priority: Balancing the budget.
Joni Ernst: I've castrated hogs so I know how to cut pork.
Matthew Whitaker: My faith requires me to support traditional marriage.
Sam Clovis: FactCheck: Common Core originated with governors, not feds.
Sam Clovis: Common Core is federal overreach in spending and control.
Joni Ernst: No federal involvement in Common Core standards.
Matthew Whitaker: Common Core is cram-it-down-your-throat reform.
Energy & Oil|
Matthew Whitaker: Cap-and-trade proposal stifles the American dream.
Bruce Braley: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Joni Ernst: Voted against Medicaid expansion in Iowa.
Sam Clovis: Keep ObamaCare rule: kids can stay on parent's plan until 26.
Joni Ernst: Military experience always plays role in decision-making.
Joni Ernst: Keep veterans in forefront of all foreign policy decisions.
Joni Ernst: Top priority: Jobs and economy.
Principles & Values|
Matthew Whitaker: OpEd: disagrees with entire liberal laundry list.
Joni Ernst: Values we grew up with are being threatened now.
Matthew Whitaker: No hope that Social Security will be there for future.
Joni Ernst: Passed the largest tax cut in Iowa history.
Welfare & Poverty|
Sam Clovis: Don't trading spending cuts for entitlement reform.
The above quotations are from 2014 Iowa Senate Debates.
- 100 Ideas, by Senator Marco Rubio (R,FL)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)