2014 Virginia Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 VA Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Ed Gillespie (11) Republican Challenger Virginia
- John Raese (3) Republican Senate Challenger West Virginia
- Mark Warner (2) Virginia Former Democratic Governor (2002-2006); elected Senator 2008
- Natalie Tennant (4) Democratic Senate Challenger West Virginia
- Pat McGeehan (3) Republican Senate Challenger West Virginia
- Shelley Moore Capito (1) Republican Challenger West Virginia
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Virginia Senate debates:
- Richmond Times-Dispatch, "Sarvis plans to challenge Warner", by Markus Schmidt, Jan 30, 2014.
- The Federalist coverage, 1/16/2014
- ThinkProgress.org coverage, 1/16/2014
- New York Times on Ed Gillespie's announcement, 1/9/2014
- Washington Post on Ed Gillespie's announcement, 1/9/2014
- Charles Crumm in Michigan Daily Tribune, on Republican National Committee email campaign, Nov.5, 2013
- Washington Post, profile of Ed Gillespie as presidential counselor, 8/9/2007
- South Jersey Magazine, profile of Ed Gillespie as RNC chair, January 2005.
- Public Citizen, citizen.org, "Congress Watch: Ed Gillespie: The Embedded Lobbyist, June 2003
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Ed Gillespie: Opposes abortion.
Budget & Economy|
Pat McGeehan: Real crisis is $17T in debt and future unfunded liabilities.
Pat McGeehan: The Fed printing money for debt causes inflation.
Mark Warner: Sequester was stupidest way to cut; shutdown cost even more.
John Raese: OpEd: Sounded alarm in 2010 on international competitiveness.
Ed Gillespie: Lobbied to restrict class action lawsuits on corporate fraud.
Energy & Oil|
Shelley Moore Capito: AdWatch: Fights back against Obama's war on coal.
John Raese: 2010 alternative energy bill was WV's own cap-and-trade Bill.
Ed Gillespie: Democrats' energy policy is an attack on our quality of life.
Ed Gillespie: Lobbied to remove tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber.
Natalie Tennant: OpEd: Suppress voting by requiring change-of-address cards.
Ed Gillespie: Paid $27M in lobbying fees in early 2000s.
Natalie Tennant: Vehemently disagrees with Obama administration on gun rights.
Ed Gillespie: Benefits from GOP resistance to the new health law.
John Raese: ObamaCare relies on poor business model; use private-sector.
Natalie Tennant: Supports access to insurance for all.
Natalie Tennant: FactCheck: GOP says 147,000 lose insurance; really 8,800.
Mark Warner: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Ed Gillespie: Unapologetic supporter of comprehensive immigration overhaul.
Principles & Values|
Pat McGeehan: Constitutional conservative: pro-life, pro-gun and pro-coal.
Ed Gillespie: Planned political reporting career at Catholic U. of America.
Ed Gillespie: Raised a Democrat; first job with Democrat; switched to GOP.
Ed Gillespie: Believes in conservative ideas of lower taxes.
War & Peace|
Ed Gillespie: As Bush spokesperson, defended Iraqi surge & al Qaeda link.
The above quotations are from 2014 Virginia Senate debates.
- 100 Ideas, by Senator Marco Rubio (R,FL)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)