2014 South Dakota Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 SD Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Larry Pressler (14) Independent Challenger South Dakota
- Mike Rounds (3) South Dakota Former Republican Governor (2002-2010)
- Rick Weiland (9) Democratic Challenger South Dakota
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
South Dakota Senate debates and race coverage:
- Rollcall e-zine, "Quirky Ex-Senator Stomps on Democrats’ S.D. Hopes", by Colin Diersing, 7/24/2014
- The Capital Journal, "Rounds awarded $75 million in Future Funds", by Joel Ebert, March 11, 2014.
- Rapid City Journal, "Five questions: Rick Weiland", by Joe O'Sullivan, March 10, 2014
- Politico.com AdWatch: "Larry Pressler ‘American Hustle’ ad to air during Oscars", Associated Press, 2/28/14
- Rapid City Journal and MinnPost.com on Larry Pressler, 12/31/2013
- AdWatch on Rick Weiland email, Oct. 15, 2013
- Argus Leader coverage, June 30, 2013
- Politico.com coverage, 11/14/2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Larry Pressler: Supports abortion law allowing first trimester terminations.
Budget & Economy|
Larry Pressler: Pay a little more taxes & give up some programs.
Larry Pressler: Supports gay marriage.
Larry Pressler: I was wrong to support 1996 Defense of Marriage Act.
Rick Weiland: Favors same-sex marriage.
Mike Rounds: $75M in Future Fund grants to support entrepreneurialism.
Larry Pressler: Both parties beholden to corporate backers.
Rick Weiland: Immigration problem from profits from cheap immigrant labor.
Energy & Oil|
Rick Weiland: Opposes Keystone XL pipeline.
Rick Weiland: Universal background checks for guns.
Rick Weiland: Push for public option to expand ObamaCare.
Rick Weiland: Keep parts of ObamaCare that work, and add Medicare option.
Mike Rounds: Shut down ObamaCare but don't shut down government.
Larry Pressler: First Vietnam vet elected to Congress.
Larry Pressler: Significant cutbacks on overseas military spending.
Larry Pressler: 1980 presidential run:focus on veteran issues & Agent Orange.
Larry Pressler: 5-year path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.
Mike Rounds: Border security first, then a limited path to citizenship.
Rick Weiland: Border security and a path to citizenship at the same time.
Principles & Values|
Larry Pressler: Former three-term Senator; ran for president in 1980.
Rick Weiland: Touring all 311 of South Dakota's incorporated towns.
Larry Pressler: Non-conventional independent campaign to influence debate.
Larry Pressler: 1978: first Vietnam veteran elected to the Senate.
Larry Pressler: Raise taxes on estates worth more than $10 million.
Larry Pressler: Rich people willing to pay more taxes to help our country.
War & Peace|
Rick Weiland: No U.S. military intervention in Syria.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Larry Pressler Independent Challenger South Dakota
- Mike Rounds South Dakota Former Republican Governor (2002-2010)
- Rick Weiland Democratic Challenger South Dakota
The above quotations are from 2014 South Dakota Senate debates.
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)