2014 Michigan Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 MI Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Gary Peters (5) Democratic Challenger Michigan
- Terri Lynn Land (16) Republican Challenger Michigan
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Michigan Senate debates:
- AdWatch by Washington Post, "Land to air first ad," by Sean Sullivan, April 21, 2014
- The Huffington Post, "Women Want Job Flexibility More Than Equal Pay", by Ashley Woods, 4/8/2014
- NBC News and OnTheIssues AdWatch: "Peters Launches First TV Ads", by Mark Murray, March 27th 2014
- Detroit Free Press, "Land offers ideas", by David Eggert, March 10, 2014
- Port Huron Times Herald, "Gary Peters on auto bailout", Mar 3, 2014
- Mining Gazette, "Renewing unemployment benefits", January 7, 2014
- Matt Vande Bunte on MLive.com, "Dave Agema", December 13, 2013
- Joint appearance of Democratic primary contenders, November 23, 2013, at Progressive Democratic Women's Caucus, covered by Muskegon Chronicle
- Coverage by National Journal, Alex Roarty blog, Nov. 18, 2013
- Alex Roarty in National Journal, "GOP Establishment", November 14, 2013
- AdWatch by Politico.com, on Terri Lynn Land "Syria" fundraising email, 9/5/2013
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, "Keeping Up With The Candidates: Rocky v. Peters", by Brian Frasier, Sept. 29, 2010
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Terri Lynn Land: Supports GOP platform which bans abortion.
Budget & Economy|
Terri Lynn Land: Opposed reopening government, due to ObamaCare, not jobs.
Terri Lynn Land: Opposed deal to re-open federal government.
Terri Lynn Land: Federal shutdown was opportunity to address spending.
Terri Lynn Land: AdWatch: No discrimination, but "no comment" on gay- bashing.
Terri Lynn Land: Supports GOP platform which bans same-sex marriage.
Gary Peters: I supported auto bailout; my opponent opposed it.
Gary Peters: Nuclear option: Allow confirmation of Obama's appointees.
Terri Lynn Land: Super PACs are committed to Michigan.
Terri Lynn Land: Allow "dark money": secret campaign donations for issue ads.
Terri Lynn Land: Supports GOP platform which opposes magazine limit.
Terri Lynn Land: Pre-tax health savings accounts & cross-states insurers.
Terri Lynn Land: Fix ObamaCare so Michiganders can keep insurance as promised.
Gary Peters: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Terri Lynn Land: Embrace threat of federal shutdown to defund ObamaCare.
Gary Peters: Extend jobless benefit for long-term unemployed.
Terri Lynn Land: Extend jobless benefit for long-term unemployed seeking work.
Terri Lynn Land: Supports GOP platform plank for personal accounts.
War & Peace|
Terri Lynn Land: No military action in Syrian civil war.
Gary Peters: Undecided on military intervention in Syria.
Terri Lynn Land: No military intervention in Syria.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Gary Peters Democratic Challenger Michigan
- Terri Lynn Land Republican Challenger Michigan
The above quotations are from 2014 Michigan Senate debates.
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)