2014 Montana Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 MT Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Amanda Curtis (13) Democratic Challenger Montana
- Brian Schweitzer (1) Montana Previously Democratic Governor
- Champ Edmunds (11) Democrat Challenger Montana
- John Bohlinger (7) Democratic Senate Challenger Montana
- John Walsh (17) Democratic Senate Challenger Montana
- Sam Rankin (7) Reform Senate Challenger Montana
- Steve Daines (7) Republican Senate challenger Montana
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Montana Senate debates: (June primary)
- The Missoulian, Letter to the editor, "Curtis offers a refreshing choice", 9/2/2014
- ABC News, "Curtis Is a Rare Breed of Montana Democrat", by Benjamin Siegel, August 22, 2014
- LifeNews.com, "Democrats Pick 100% Pro-Abortion Amanda Curtis", by Dave Andrusko, Aug. 20, 2014
- Associated Press in Washington Times, "Women's rights, labor activist", by Lisa Baumann, August 16, 2014
- The Hill e-zine, "Montana Dems select new Senate candidate", by Kristina Wong, August 16, 2014
- Billings Gazette, "Who is Amanda Curtis?", by Mike Smith, August 16, 2014
- Helena Independent Record , "Rep. Curtis of Butte", by Matt Volz, August 16, 2014
- CBS News, "Obama waging a 'war on American energy'," by Jake Miller, July 26, 2014
- N.Y.Times, "Walsh Confronts Questions of Plagiarism", by Jonathan Martin, July 23, 2014
- FactCheck.org, "More Senior Scare in Montana", 7/11/2014
- Billings Gazette, "NORML lauds Daines for vote", 5/30/2014
- FactCheck.org on more Montana Senate race TV ads, "Abortion Attack Goes Too Far in Montana", May 23, 2014
- FactCheck.org on 2014 Montana Senate race TV ads, "Montana's Chinese Connection", May 22, 2014
- The Missoulian, AdWatch: "Daines campaign ad attacks Walsh appointment to Senate a 'buy-off'", 3/19/2014
- The Missoulian, "Vote showed lack of courage", by Jeffrey T. Renz, 3/11/2014
- Ravalli Republic, "Daines a purveyor of ‘cruel ideology’", by Mike Dennison, March 9, 2014
- CNN AdWatch, "Welcome to Washington Mr. Walsh", by Paul Steinhauser, 2/11/2014
- Rollcall.com, "Walsh Appointed to Replace Baucus", by Kyle Trygstad, Feb. 7 2014
- David Weigel on Slate.com, "Obamacare Hasn't Worked", December 13, 2013
- Matt Gouras in Ravalli Republic, "Digital privacy", December 10, 2013
- Mike Dennison in Ravalli Republic, "Medicaid expansion", November 20, 2013
- National Journal reporting, Nov. 12, 2013
- Billings Gazette, "Background check supporters rally at Capitol", by Charles S. Johnson, July 23, 2013
- The Huffington Post, "Curtis Calls Out GOP Colleagues For Opposing Repeal Of Anti-Gay Law", by Preston Maddock, 4/09/2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Amanda Curtis: 100% pro-choice voting record.
Champ Edmunds: Human life begins at conception.
John Walsh: Opposes extremism like declaring life begins at conception.
John Bohlinger: 2001: Supported Fetal Protection Act & partial-birth ban.
John Bohlinger: Supreme Court decided the issue; state cannot overturn it.
Budget & Economy|
Amanda Curtis: Economy that works for all of us, not just for the richest.
Champ Edmunds: The borrower is servant to the lender.
Amanda Curtis: Outspoken advocate for labor unions and women's rights.
Champ Edmunds: Government shouldn't redefine marriage.
John Walsh: Voted against NAACP staffer's appointment to Dept.of Justice.
Amanda Curtis: Repeal state ban on sodomy; make gay sex legal.
Amanda Curtis: Wall St. is doing great; recovery hasn't reached rest of us.
Sam Rankin: End tax subsidies; & tax corporations in foreign countries.
Amanda Curtis: Medical marijuana law is over-restrictive.
Steve Daines: Limit federal DEA from interfering with state marijuana laws.
Steve Daines: Expand school choice where public schools are poor.
Amanda Curtis: Math teacher and unabashed backer of public schools.
Energy & Oil|
Champ Edmunds: No subsidies for wind and solar.
John Walsh: Energy boom in Montana instead of foreign oil dependence.
Amanda Curtis: Big supporter of protecting access to public lands.
John Walsh: More regulations to develop natural resources responsibly.
Steve Daines: Congressional support for Israel is bipartisan & strong.
John Walsh: On trade mission: Montana is open for business.
Amanda Curtis: When wealthy in Congress, playing field tilts to wealthy.
Sam Rankin: Special interests support the status quo; Americans don't.
Sam Rankin: Eliminate earmarks; 3-year federal pay freeze.
Champ Edmunds: Photo ID for voting.
Amanda Curtis: Supports expanding background checks.
Champ Edmunds: 2nd amendment is about tyranny, not hunting.
Amanda Curtis: Common-sense solutions like expanding background checks.
Amanda Curtis: ObamaCare: don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Sam Rankin: Tort reform plus higher deductibles & co-pays.
Champ Edmunds: Repeal ObamaCare; it's not a government responsibility.
John Walsh: Yes to Medicare Rx negotiations; no to privatization.
John Bohlinger: Strong advocate of a single-payer system like Medicare.
John Bohlinger: Expand Medicaid to cover 70,000 low-income Montanans.
Sam Rankin: Reduce our nuclear warhead stockpile & reduce F-35's.
Champ Edmunds: Maintain a superior nuclear arsenal.
John Walsh: Worked to prohibit warrantless cell phone tracking.
John Walsh: Cut wasteful spending in our military.
Champ Edmunds: Allow easier driver licensing for military service members.
John Walsh: OpEd: Walsh was fair about National Guard Association dues.
Champ Edmunds: Protect the borders; prevent illegal entry.
Steve Daines: Comprehensive reform is the wrong approach; no amnesty.
John Walsh: Supports increasing the minimum wage.
Principles & Values|
John Walsh: OpEd: 2007 Master's thesis plagiarized from online sources.
Champ Edmunds: Judeo-Christian values established our government framework.
Steve Daines: AdWatch: Walsh appointment was "Big Sky buy-off" D.C. deal.
John Walsh: AdWatch: "Where's Walsh-o" website: "Walsh is hard to find".
John Walsh: Appointed to Senate while running in Senate primary.
John Walsh: AdWatch: "Big Sky buyoff" to appoint Walsh to Senate early.
Brian Schweitzer: Considered Senate run; now supports both Dem. candidates.
John Bohlinger: An outsider supported by the people & not the establishment.
John Bohlinger: Elected as Republican; then ran on Democrat governor ticket.
Amanda Curtis: Against privatizing Medicare and Social Security.
Sam Rankin: Phase in age increase and more realistic CPI.
Steve Daines: AdWatch: Accuses opponent of considering privatization.
John Walsh: Consider privatization for new employees entering workforce.
Sam Rankin: Simplify to three tax brackets: 12%, 22%, 28%.
John Walsh: Tax cuts for the wealthy only seek to preserve privilege.
John Bohlinger: Digital privacy threatened by warrantless NSA invasions.
John Walsh: Digital privacy threatened by warrantless NSA invasions.
War & Peace|
Steve Daines: The best way to ensure Mideast peace is Israeli strength.
The above quotations are from 2014 Montana Senate debates.
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)