2014 Montana Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 MT Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Brian Schweitzer (1) Montana Previously Democratic Governor
- Champ Edmunds (1) Democrat Challenger Montana
- John Bohlinger (7) Democratic Senate Challenger Montana
- John Walsh (10) Democratic Senate Challenger Montana
- Steve Daines (3) Republican Senate challenger Montana
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Montana Senate debates: (June primary)
- N.Y.Times, "Walsh Confronts Questions of Plagiarism", by Jonathan Martin, July 23, 2014
- FactCheck.org on more Montana Senate race TV ads, "Abortion Attack Goes Too Far in Montana", May 23, 2014
- FactCheck.org on 2014 Montana Senate race TV ads, "Montana's Chinese Connection", May 22, 2014
- The Missoulian, AdWatch: "Daines campaign ad attacks Walsh appointment to Senate a 'buy-off'", 3/19/2014
- The Missoulian, "Vote showed lack of courage", by Jeffrey T. Renz, 3/11/2014
- Ravalli Republic, "Daines a purveyor of ‘cruel ideology’", by Mike Dennison, March 9, 2014
- CNN AdWatch, "Welcome to Washington Mr. Walsh", by Paul Steinhauser, 2/11/2014
- Rollcall.com, "Walsh Appointed to Replace Baucus", by Kyle Trygstad, Feb. 7 2014
- David Weigel on Slate.com, "Obamacare Hasn't Worked", December 13, 2013
- Matt Gouras in Ravalli Republic, "Digital privacy", December 10, 2013
- Mike Dennison in Ravalli Republic, "Medicaid expansion", November 20, 2013
- National Journal reporting, Nov. 12, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
John Bohlinger: 2001: Supported Fetal Protection Act & partial-birth ban.
John Bohlinger: Supreme Court decided the issue; state cannot overturn it.
Energy & Oil|
John Walsh: Energy boom in Montana instead of foreign oil dependence.
John Walsh: More regulations to develop natural resources responsibly.
Steve Daines: Congressional support for Israel is bipartisan & strong.
John Walsh: On trade mission: Montana is open for business.
John Bohlinger: Strong advocate of a single-payer system like Medicare.
John Bohlinger: Expand Medicaid to cover 70,000 low-income Montanans.
John Walsh: Worked to prohibit warrantless cell phone tracking.
Champ Edmunds: Allow easier driver licensing for military service members.
John Walsh: OpEd: Walsh was fair about National Guard Association dues.
Principles & Values|
John Walsh: OpEd: 2007 Master's thesis plagiarized from online sources.
Steve Daines: AdWatch: Walsh appointment was "Big Sky buy-off" D.C. deal.
John Walsh: AdWatch: "Where's Walsh-o" website: "Walsh is hard to find".
John Walsh: Appointed to Senate while running in Senate primary.
John Walsh: AdWatch: "Big Sky buyoff" to appoint Walsh to Senate early.
Brian Schweitzer: Considered Senate run; now supports both Dem. candidates.
John Bohlinger: An outsider supported by the people & not the establishment.
John Bohlinger: Elected as Republican; then ran on Democrat governor ticket.
John Bohlinger: Digital privacy threatened by warrantless NSA invasions.
John Walsh: Digital privacy threatened by warrantless NSA invasions.
War & Peace|
Steve Daines: The best way to ensure Mideast peace is Israeli strength.
The above quotations are from 2014 Montana Senate debates.
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)