2014 South Carolina Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 SC Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Jack Reed (1) Democratic Sr Senator Rhode Island
- Jay Stamper (2) Republican Challenger South Carolina
- Lee Bright (8) Republican Challenger South Carolina
- Lindsey Graham (14) Republican Sr Senator South Carolina
- Nancy Mace (8) Republican Senate challenger South Carolina
- Rick Wade (12) Democratic Senate Challenger South Carolina
- Tim Scott (5) Republican Senator-Appointee South Carolina
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
South Carolina has two simultaneous Senate races this year, both with election dates of November 4th, 2014.
- The 6-year seat is the normal re-election campaign for Senator Lindsey Graham, whose 6-year term expires this year.
- The 2-year seat is for the seat vacated by Senator Jim DeMint, who resigned to run a think-tank.
- The 2-year seat is temporarily filled by Senator Tim Scott, who was appointed by Governor Nikki Haley, until his appointment expires in November.
- Sen. Scott is also running for the 2-year term to serve out the original term of Sen. DeMint.
South Carolina Senate debates: 2-year seat:
- The State magazine, "Rick Wade drops out", March 6, 2014
- Andrew Shain on The State, published in The Greenville News, 12/15/2013
- Andrew Shain in The Island Packet, "Introduce Tim to Rick", 12/14/2013
- TheGrio webzine interview of Rick Wade, Dec. 13, 2013
- FITSNews.com coverage, "Rick Wade Challenge", Dec. 13, 2013
- CBS "Face the Nation" interview of Sen. Tim Scott, Dec. 23, 2012
- The State magazine on Rick Wade, Aug. 29, 2013
- Human Events magazine on Rick Wade, April 24, 2013
South Carolina Senate debates: 6-year seat:
- The Hill, "Has foreign policy saved Lindsay Graham?", by Cameron Joseph, March 23, 2014
- The Hill, "Graham touts fiscal conservative bona fides in new ad", by Cameron Joseph, March 3, 2014
- Greenville News, "Graham: it's time to pressure Putin", by Clark Brooks, March 3, 2014
- Spartanburg Herald-Journal, by Felicia Kitzmiller, "Stamper finds 'reluctant' support among Democrats", Jan. 13, 2014
- Lee Bright's editorial, "My Story", on FITSNews.com, Jan. 1, 2013
- Jay Stamper's editorial on FITSNews.com, Dec. 3, 2013
- G. Miller Thompson in Edgefield Advertiser, "Profiles in Politics: Nancy Mace", November 23, 2013
- Mark Vogl coverage on NolanChart.com, November 5, 2013
- G. Miller Thompson in Edgefield Advertiser, "Profiles in Politics: Lee Bright", October 25, 2013
- AdWatch: Jay Stamper press release on gay marriage, Oct. 23 and Nov. 1, 2013
- G. Miller Thompson in Edgefield Advertiser, "Profiles in Politics: Senator Lindsey Graham", October 22, 2013
- U.S.News & World Report coverage, Sept. 5, 2013
- DailyKos.com coverage, Aug. 22, 2013
- Meet the Press 2013 interview of Lindsey Graham, August 4, 2013
- CBS "Face the Nation" interview of Sen. Graham, Feb. 10, 2013
- CNN "State of the Union" interview of Sen. Graham, January 6, March 3 and April 28, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Rick Wade: AdWatch: 5 years in Washington on failed $787B stimulus.
Nancy Mace: Restore some accountability in the budgeting process.
Lindsey Graham: Dollar-for-dollar offset: cut spending to raise debt ceiling.
Tim Scott: Address fiscal cliff with sequestration & tax cut extension.
Rick Wade: First all-black U.S. Senate race in recent memory.
Jay Stamper: Asked by Party to exit race after supporting gay marriage.
Rick Wade: Served in Obama's U.S. Commerce Department.
Rick Wade: All 6 siblings attended public schools.
Nancy Mace: Strongly supports educational choice.
Lee Bright: Advocates abolishing the Department of Education.
Rick Wade: Vision for S.C. focused on education and jobs.
Energy & Oil|
Lee Bright: Deal with waste, to remove obstacles to new nuclear plants.
Rick Wade: V.P. of GreenTech Automotive, the "green car" company.
Nancy Mace: No foreign aid to Egypt & countries who are our enemies.
Rick Wade: Envoy to China, to get investment via EB-5 visas.
Rick Wade: Washington is broken.
Nancy Mace: Term limits of 12 years for Senate; 6 years for House.
Nancy Mace: Term limits are the only way to stop the ruling elitists.
Tim Scott: Don't rush to judgment on gun control after school shootings.
Rick Wade: ObamaCare addresses closing health care disparities.
Lee Bright: Full implementation of ObamaCare ends self-governance.
Lindsey Graham: Let ObamaCare show itself as a continuing debacle.
Nancy Mace: ObamaCare will be the undoing of our American way of life.
Jay Stamper: NSA domestic spying included innocent U.S. citizens.
Lindsey Graham: NSA domestic spying only targets terrorism suspects.
Lindsey Graham: NSA leaker Edward Snowden is a felon, not a hero.
Lindsey Graham: Cuts to military systems will leave us with a hollow force.
Jack Reed: Don't over-react to Benghazi; situation was confused.
Lindsey Graham: President did not do enough to protect Benghazi embassy.
Lee Bright: Secure the border first; but no amnesty.
Lindsey Graham: Secure border now in place with comprehensive immigration.
Lindsey Graham: New amnesty is tough and ends incoming illegals.
Principles & Values|
Tim Scott: OpEd: Dems call Scott "senator for the Heritage Foundation".
Rick Wade: Commitment to listen to the people, not special interests.
Nancy Mace: Give a conservative voice to the people of South Carolina.
Lee Bright: I live all aspects of my life based on Biblical principles.
Rick Wade: Ran unsuccessfully for secretary of state in 2002.
Tim Scott: Grew up poor in a black community in North Charleston.
Tim Scott: Served in public office for 18 years, with 2 terms in House.
Lee Bright: Supports the FairTax to simplify taxes.
Rick Wade: Infrastructure investment in the poorest areas of S.C.
Lee Bright: Dredge the Port of Charleston to a 50-foot depth.
War & Peace|
Lindsey Graham: Support the Syrian rebels against Assad & Iran.
Lee Bright: Intervention in Syria would help the Muslim Brotherhood.
Lindsey Graham: Intervention in Syria to degrade Assad's chemical weapons.
Lindsey Graham: Getting Syria wrong leads to Iranian nukes & war with Israel.
Nancy Mace: Intervention in Syria would bolster al-Qaida.
Lindsey Graham: Syria: Assad must go, and small arms won't do it.
Lindsey Graham: Get involved in Syria to protect against al Qaeda and Iran.
Lindsey Graham: Slow Afghan withdrawal, with 15,000 US troops left behind.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Jack Reed Democratic Sr Senator Rhode Island
- Jay Stamper Republican Challenger South Carolina
- Lee Bright Republican Challenger South Carolina
- Lindsey Graham Republican Sr Senator South Carolina
- Nancy Mace Republican Senate challenger South Carolina
- Rick Wade Democratic Senate Challenger South Carolina
- Tim Scott Republican Senator-Appointee South Carolina
The above quotations are from 2014 South Carolina Senate debates.
- 100 Ideas, by Senator Marco Rubio (R,FL)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)