2014 Kansas Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 KS Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Chad Taylor (21) Democrat Challenger Kansas
- Charlie Hardy (2) Democratic Senate Challenger Wyoming
- Greg Orman (21) Independent Senate Challenger Kansas
- Milton Wolf (8) Republican Challenger Kansas
- Pat Roberts (14) Republican Sr Senator Kansas
- Randall Batson (10) Libertarian Senate challenger Kansas
- Todd Tiahrt (2) Republican Senate Challenger Kansas
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Kansas Senate debates:
- 538 blog, "Democrats Add By Subtraction In Kansas", by Nate Silver, 9/19/2014
- The Kansas City Star, "Pat Roberts and Greg Orman see several issues differently", by Dave Helling, 9/19/2014
- Wall Street Journal, "Upstart Orman Debates Sen. Roberts at Kansas State Fair", by Mark Peters, Sept. 6, 2014
- Politico.com weblog, "Obama cousin, tea party take toll on Pat Roberts ," by Manu Raju, July 8, 2014
- The Hill weblog, "Kansas senator's slip of tongue spurs new residency questions," by Alexandra Jaffe, July 3, 2014
- Independent Voter Project IVN.us, "Orman Says We Need Real Problem Solvers in Washington", by David Yee, Jun 30, 2014
- KSN.com, coverage of Greg Orman, 6.25.2014
- The Hutchinson News, "Orman launches Senate bid as independent," by Mary Clarkin, 6/5/2014
- The Wichita Eagle, "Olathe businessman Greg Orman", by Fred Mann, June 5, 2014
- The Hill, "Democrat enters Kansas Senate race", by Alexandra Jaffe, March 3, 2014
- "Taylor officially enters U.S. Senate race in Kansas", by CjOnline.com, February 28, 2014
- Topeka Capital-Journal, "Wolf apologizes for graphic X-rays", by Tim Carpenter, February 23, 2014
- USA Today coverage, "Sebelius teastifies on ObamaCare glitches", October 29, 2013
- Kathy Ostrowski on KansansForLife.WordPress.com, "Shreddergate" on Chad Taylor, February 20, 2012
- Milton Wolf, M.D., editorial on FoxNews.com, "My Cousin Barack Obama and Our ObamaCare Family Feud", May 10, 2011
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Greg Orman: Supports access to abortion services.
Pat Roberts: Let insurance plans deny abortions based on employer beliefs.
Randall Batson: Focus on alternatives such as adoption & foster children.
Chad Taylor: No prosecution of Planned Parenthood for lost reports.
Budget & Economy|
Pat Roberts: Ok to spend in time of war; otherwise don't be over-generous.
Greg Orman: Report federal spending by strict accounting standards.
Chad Taylor: Budget cuts threaten basic prosecutorial services.
Greg Orman: Government should not prohibit same-sex marriage.
Chad Taylor: Advocate for equality, including equal pay for equal work.
Chad Taylor: Make bans on same-sex marriage unconstitutional.
Charlie Hardy: Equal pay for equal work.
Chad Taylor: Successfully prosecuted 9-year-long rape case.
Randall Batson: Eliminate mandatory minimums; balance with rehabilitation.
Chad Taylor: Legalizing marijuana may decrease crime & increase revenue.
Randall Batson: Legalization yields better results than current turf wars.
Chad Taylor: Successfully prosecuted case on hallucinogenic level-2 drugs.
Greg Orman: National innovation for high student achievement.
Energy & Oil|
Chad Taylor: "Wind cowboys" maintain fields of windmills in west Kansas.
Chad Taylor: Good farmers use best practices, as stewards of the land.
Greg Orman: We can protect our environment AND create jobs.
Pat Roberts: For early farm bill, but final bill had too many subsidies.
Families & Children|
Chad Taylor: Successfully prosecuted case on child sexual exploitation.
Chad Taylor: Diplomatic solutions are always preferable.
Greg Orman: Eliminate our country's dependence on foreign creditors.
Charlie Hardy: Most military people want peace-making foreign policies.
Pat Roberts: Opposed UN ban on discrimination against disabilities.
Chad Taylor: Trade has globalized US, but also exports jobs.
Greg Orman: Ban on PACs formed by congressional leaders.
Greg Orman: 12-year term limit for Congress.
Pat Roberts: 2012: No transparency of PAC donors; 2014: Some transparency.
Pat Roberts: No term limits for Congress.
Greg Orman: Ballot requirements hinder 3rd-party candidates.
Chad Taylor: Require open meetings for water utility rate-setting.
Greg Orman: Don't make it easy for a convict to get guns at gun shows.
Pat Roberts: Don't mess with people's right to bear arms.
Greg Orman: Owns handguns but supports background checks.
Randall Batson: Possess & trade firearms as owners wish.
Chad Taylor: I'm a gun owner, but we need to enforce gun laws.
Greg Orman: Futile to repeal ObamaCare while Obama is in office.
Pat Roberts: Immediate and complete repeal of ObamaCare.
Milton Wolf: Apologizes for posting gruesome medical X-rays on Facebook.
Pat Roberts: First to call for Sebelius resignation over ObamaCare fiasco.
Todd Tiahrt: Calls for Sebelius resignation over ObamaCare fiasco.
Milton Wolf: ObamaCare extends "crony health care" which began in 1929.
Milton Wolf: ObamaCare turns health insurers into public utilities.
Milton Wolf: Free market solutions ALREADY work; so add more.
Todd Tiahrt: FactCheck: Yes, ObamaCare levies some taxes before services.
Randall Batson: Bring our troops home; close bases overseas.
Pat Roberts: $200M for new fleet of tankers at McConnell Air Force Base.
Greg Orman: Understand costs of military action, including veterans.
Chad Taylor: Advocate of a national defense respected throughout world.
Greg Orman: Increase border patrols; reduce undocumented immigrant flow.
Pat Roberts: Increase border patrols; reduce undocumented immigrant flow.
Pat Roberts: 1986: Opposed Reagan's immigration limited amnesty bill.
Randall Batson: Benefits of citizenship only if arrived by legal means.
Chad Taylor: Unmuddy the waters and create a path to citizenship.
Greg Orman: Illegals already here should register and pay taxes.
Greg Orman: Government should create environment conducive to job growth.
Principles & Values|
Randall Batson: Libertarian offers third choice between Orman and Roberts.
Chad Taylor: Separation of church and state isn't a relevant issue.
Milton Wolf: OpEd: Tea Party "wolfpack" support; but no apology for X-ray.
Pat Roberts: Group ratings more conservative in 2014 than in 2012.
Greg Orman: Fiscally conservative, socially tolerant independent.
Greg Orman: We're sending the worst of both parties to Washington.
Greg Orman: 2010 Common Sense Coalition: give voice to sensible center.
Greg Orman: I consider myself fiscally conservative & socially tolerant.
Milton Wolf: AdWatch: Roberts doesn't live in Kansas anymore.
Milton Wolf: Career politicians are changed by Washington.
Pat Roberts: Resides in Virginia but votes in Kansas.
Milton Wolf: Obama is my cousin, but I oppose ObamaCare.
Chad Taylor: No privatization; but we need to discuss reforms.
Randall Batson: Opt in/opt out of payroll deduction choice.
Randall Batson: Opt in/opt out of payroll deduction choice.
Greg Orman: Lack of economic growth drains Social Security.
Chad Taylor: Simplify tax code, but no FairTax and no national sales tax.
Randall Batson: Replace income tax with FairTax national sales tax.
War & Peace|
Chad Taylor: Sanctions on Iran are working; no further military action.
Chad Taylor: Air patrols on Syria ok; no deeper involvement.
The above quotations are from 2014 Kansas Senate debates.
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)